TRV Controller Discussion Thread

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:29 am
Stoutjesdijk offline

Re: TRV Controller Discussion Thread

I started using Grafana to check what's going on with temperatures, setpoints etc. I noticed something odd in a room where I have two radiators with a thermostat on each of them. You can see in the graphs that the left and right radiators (li, re) are at/above 21 degrees, which is the setpoint for the room. But why are the valves still open, and quite far at that?
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-01-11 at 16.22.33.png
Screenshot 2021-01-11 at 16.22.33.png (61.16 KiB) Viewed 5902 times

Best regards,

Mark

Trying to tie it all together...
| Indigo | Plex | NAD M33 | Unifi | LG WebOS | Tado | Sonos | SolarEdge | HUE |

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:57 pm
siclark offline

TRV Controller Discussion Thread

Are the plugin devices using the TRV temp or the room temp with external sensors?

Presumably their own by the set point comment.

The valve will learn to an extent what % to be open to ensure the temperature remains constant. Either they have more to learn or one side of the room gets cooler than the other quicker and needs more top up of hot water than the other one?

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:33 pm
Stoutjesdijk offline

The setpoint temperature is the TRV device state.setpointHeat. I have a variable that I set to the desired room temperature. When the variable changes, a python script adjusts both het setpoints to the same value as that variable. Hence, the two setpoints are always equal.
Both thermostats are in a similar place in the room; under one of the two windows. The temperature values are drawn from the TRV device themselves (state.temperature), and the valve comes from the thermostat device itself (a Spirit). The short purple line one the right side (temp sloping upward slightly) indicates the temperature in the center of the room, but that is not relevant in this problem.

(The heat source is controlled by a NEST thermostat that regulates my boiler, and the NEST gets a heat setpoint equal to the highest demanded temperature in the entire house.)

Best regards,

Mark

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:05 pm
autolog offline

The valve opening is controlled by the Spirit. So as Simon says, one is calibrating slightly different to the other. :)

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:42 pm
siclark offline

Are you using the TRV controller plugin, or just controlling them yourself?

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:07 pm
Stoutjesdijk offline

TRV!

Best regards,

Mark

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:17 pm
siclark offline

Look at for much faster the Re TRV responded compared to the Li one. No wonder they use different %.
Set them both too 1% for now and show this chart tomorrow once the room has got cold then reheated.

Posted on
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:36 am
Stoutjesdijk offline

Here is a new graph. It is hard to see, but at 11:30 the setpoint was increased to 22C, and at that time the L and R stat temperatures were both about 14C. A separate temperature sensor far away from the window measured about 16C at that time (purple).
The right Spirit, which is located in a corner and with a bunch of boxes surrounding it, is heating up relatively fast. Its temperature settles fairly quickly at the setpoint.
Interestingly, the left Spirit temp and valve colors are cyan and blue. After a short period of 100% valve, the valve closes but after four hours, the temp is still not at the setpoint. It looks like the valve reacts properly to the measured temperatures, but the effect is not as strong as it should be. Maybe this is a case where I should adjust the temperature offset on the Spirit device. I will give it a shot and report back.
EDIT: Actually, the temperature values do not need an offset, as shown by the measurements during the night and early morning.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 16.24.41.png
Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 16.24.41.png (66.46 KiB) Viewed 5791 times

Best regards,

Mark

Posted on
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:52 am
shapa offline

HI!

Could you please add the "High Load Switch (HE-HLS01)" as a supported device (in a thermostat mode)?

https://www.heltun.com/z-wave-high-load-relay-switch

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1imYiGS ... l8hZm/view

Posted on
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:56 pm
autolog offline

Hi,
shapa wrote:
Could you please add the "High Load Switch (HE-HLS01)" as a supported device (in a thermostat mode)?

Can you do a device print for me (I assume you have it installed)?

To do this:
  • Go to the Indigo main plugin menu, scroll to the bottom and click on Open Scripting Shell
  • enter: print(u'Thermostat Device:\n{0}'.format(indigo.devices[<YOUR DEVICE ID i.e. 12345678>]))
  • Copy and paste the output back as a reply

I will take a look and create a test version for you to try. :)

Posted on
Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:11 pm
siclark offline

Hi Jon. The action to overwrite schedule only supports the on/off setting. Is it possible to overwrite with the setpoint style?

Posted on
Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:16 pm
autolog offline

Hi Simon,
siclark wrote:
The action to overwrite schedule only supports the on/off setting. Is it possible to overwrite with the setpoint style?

In a word, no.

The logic for Setpoint Style hasn't been implemented (yet). It is on my ever expanding to-do list.

If I implement it, it is likely to completely replace the On/Off way of doing things as supporting two methods makes the plugin much more complicated.

Apologies for any confusion. :|

Posted on
Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:18 pm
siclark offline

Ah. I have tried to use the set point style and definitely prefer the idea, but had issues so reverted back so I vote you completely replace the old way

Seriously though still very much appreciate what you did here so all good if you rest on your laurels too.