TRV Controller - Pre-Release Version v1.3.1

Posted on
Sat May 18, 2019 12:39 am
autolog offline

Re: TRV Controller - Pre-Release Version v1.3.1

Umtauscher wrote:
Are you comparing the setpoint and the temperatur or the valve position to decide if the heat needs to be switched on?

The plugin is comparing Setpoint and Temperature only.

Posted on
Sat May 18, 2019 12:41 am
Umtauscher offline

They support software updates . i wonder where one can get the update binaries...

On your second note, so it would be fine to leave the setpoint as it is when the proper temperature is reached and let them do their job by themselves. ;-)

Posted on
Sat May 18, 2019 2:09 am
siclark offline

Umtauscher wrote:
They support software updates . i wonder where one can get the update binaries...

On your second note, so it would be fine to leave the setpoint as it is when the proper temperature is reached and let them do their job by themselves. ;-)

That's what it does if you use the spirit temperature, mainly. It will turn them off completely if the temp is lots over the setpoint. It's different if if you use remote temp sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat May 18, 2019 2:34 am
Umtauscher offline

I don't think so.
As soon as the setpoint is reached, the plugin ( I suppose) reduces the setpoint on the Thermostat to 8.0
Since this i s happening, I see 2 downsides:

1. watching the display on the valve you cannot see what the real setpoint is
2. If anyone wants to change the setpoint at the valve, he/she has to increase the setpoint from 8 to e.g. 21 which would otherwise take only one or 2 clicks.

If the plugin behaves differently on your side, please let me know.
Last edited by Umtauscher on Sat May 18, 2019 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sat May 18, 2019 4:33 am
autolog offline

With how you want to operate the Sprits, what benefit(s) does using the TRV Controller plugin give you?

Just so that I can understand how you are using the system. :)

The TRV Controller plugin works best if all the control is done through the Indigo UI or an Indigo Control Panel. I mainly designed it to work with remote Thermostats as in my experience the temperature measured by the Spirits is on the low-side (especially if mounted at the bottom of the radiator - yours may be at the top?).

Also once the radiator starts heating up the temperature recorded by the Spirit tends to read higher than it actually is as it it is affected by the heat coming off the radiator. That's why using linked remote thermostats should give better control.

The points you raise are all valid but wasn't how the plugin has been designed to operate. I am not saying it can't be changed but I need to understand the usage scenario better. :)

Posted on
Sat May 18, 2019 5:13 am
Umtauscher offline

Hi Jon,

first of all I want to thank you for taking the time to try to understand.

In my case all thermostats are mounted at the top side of each radiator. That explaines why yours are not able to take a proper temperature measurement. At the bottom that's naturally the coolest air in a room.
Here even though the pipes are coming from the ground, the postion of the valves are at the top of the radiators. So I find the temperature reading the Spirits take quite accurate.
Back to my setup:

The first task I want the TRV plugin to do is change the setpoints of the thermostats by weekday and time and that seems to work well. In my house people are away on a regular basis so a schedule does it quite well.

The second task is a bit more complicated. The heatsource is a central heating that is managed by a room thermostat of the manufacturer measuring the heat in one room. If this room has the proper temperature, the heating is stopped and the boiler is put to standby. Sometimes it happens, that a room further away from the controlled room needs more heat when the boiler is in standby. So opening a valve in that further away room will do nothing. So the boiler needs to be turned on. Thats where your plugin comes in and does the job. (I have a gateway beween the boiler and the room thermostat so that Indigo can override it).

Additionally I want to be able to raise the heat in one particular room, using simply the buttons on the thermostat valve. That's why I would like the actual setpoint to be shown on the display. Naturally I don't know if that would work satisfactory.

And last but not least, I want Indigo to only override the system when absolutely necessary, because at least in my case the different devices do a more precise job to reduce energy than an externel control could do. It would be best, if the plugin would be able to compare the water temperatur in the system to see if it enough. ( I am trying to do that at the moment with a virtual device)
So I don't want essential parts of my house depending on Indigo. So basically it's nice to have but I don't count on it.

I hope you get a better picture now, what I am trying to do.
Thanks
Wilhelm

P.S.: Please keep in mind, I only have the Spirits for a week now and it's not very cold. Maybe my obserations and not as sophisticated as yours.

Posted on
Sat May 18, 2019 5:52 am
Umtauscher offline

I realize, it might be unclear what's missing for me at the moment.

I feel I would only need to have a checkbox in the corresponding TRV device that inhibits the plugin to modify the setpoint between schedules - right?
Cheers

Wilhelm

Posted on
Sat May 18, 2019 10:19 am
autolog offline

Umtauscher wrote:
... I feel I would only need to have a checkbox in the corresponding TRV device that inhibits the plugin to modify the setpoint between schedules - right?

This has been discussed before and is actually a different scheduling algorithm. If only it was as simple as adding in a check box. :wink:

In due course, I will be taking a look at just being able to schedule Setpoints as opposed to On|OFF schedules. I can then incorporate the ability to user configure whether the plugin should turn the TRV off (set to minimum temperature) or just leave it at the setpoint. :)

Posted on
Sat May 18, 2019 10:42 am
Umtauscher offline

Thanks, i was just under the impression, that the plugin would send setpoints to the valves and additionally sending on and off commands depending on the temperature compared with the setpoint.

Thats where I thought suppressing those on and off commands via a bool would suffice.

But I don't know anything abaout the inner structure of your plugin certainly.....

Cheers
wilhelm

Posted on
Sat May 18, 2019 12:09 pm
siclark offline

Something else to consider in your evaluation, have yiu seen how the spirits only part open a valve rather than normal TRVs that are all or nothing. That way rather than a room heating for 15 mins on then 15 mins off for 3 hours like a normal thermostat, the spirits will be 100% open for say 10 mins then gradually close to say 20% for the rest of the 3 hours. Hot water is running through the system for the whole time but not much gets Into the rad so not much gets cool and the boiler doesn't do much work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat May 18, 2019 12:21 pm
Umtauscher offline

From what I read, they are learning. This means we have to give them some time to adjust.
It will be interresting to see how they perform. I suppose it's just a little late to try at the end of the heating period. :cry:

Posted on
Thu May 23, 2019 3:14 pm
shapa offline

Is it possible to add floor heating Thermostats to support?

Generic Thermostat V2 (works fine now but would be nice to control via TRV plugin) - qubino

and TF021 (heatit) https://www.uk-automation.co.uk/content/pdf/heatit.pdf

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 4:44 am
autolog offline

shapa wrote:
Is it possible to add floor heating Thermostats to support?

Generic Thermostat V2 (works fine now but would be nice to control via TRV plugin) - qubino

and TF021 (heatit) https://www.uk-automation.co.uk/content/pdf/heatit.pdf

What do you think is required to be able to control them. Does Indigo see them as thermostat devices?

Posted on
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:58 am
shapa offline

Yes, Indigo seeing them as thermostats, they are working without any issues.

Basically - it's just to allow to use them in the TRV plugin :)

Posted on
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:21 am
autolog offline

Can you print the device(s) to the indigo log e.g.
Code: Select all
indigo.server.log(u'Thermostat Device:\n{}'.format(indigo.devices[12345678]))
You can do this by going to the Indigo main menu: Plugins > Open Scripting Shell and then copying/typing in the command above replacing 12345678 with the device id of your device(s).

You can then either post the output in the Indigo event log back here or PM me the info.

I can then look at the Indigo definitions and add it/them into the plugin. :)