Samsung TV Plugin

Posted on
Mon May 25, 2015 5:13 am
kwijibo007 offline

Samsung TV Plugin

Hi All,

I've written a plugin for controlling Samsung smart TVs. The plugin gives the ability to turn on* & off the TV, change channel and send nearly all button commands found on the remote. I primarily wanted to get the TV status (on/off) into Indigo and it grew from there.

The plugin works for all Samsung TV's compatible with the Smart View 1.0 app found in the Apple App store. If this app can control your TV it should be fully compatible with the plugin. TV's that only work with the Smart View 2.0 app found in the Apple App store do not appear to work. If I can get my hands on one of these TVs in the future I will try to add support.

The plugin can be downloaded here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ad22do7nwrjhp44/Samsung%20TV.indigoPlugin.zip?dl=0

Instructions and a full write up with a video demo can be found here - https://aushomeautomator.wordpress.com/samsung-tv-indigo-plugin/

*Turning the TV on via the plugin requires Kodi (XBMC) running on a device supporting CEC connected to the TV via HDMI. Unfortunately, Samsung disable the network interface when the TV is turned off which leaves very few options to remotely power it on. I use a Raspberry Pi running Kodi and it works flawlessly. Only powering on the TV requires Kodi, all other functions work without it (including turning the TV off). The plugin still works if you don't have Kodi (you just can't turn the TV on from Indigo). Full instructions are in the link above.

This is my first Indigo plugin and I welcome any feedback and suggestions.

I hope you find it useful.
Last edited by kwijibo007 on Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Mon May 25, 2015 1:43 pm
howartp offline

Re: Samsung TV Plugin

I've just posted a link to this thread in another discussion: viewtopic.php?t=14075

Posted on
Tue May 26, 2015 10:36 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Great addition, thanks! I've added it to the plugin list.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:11 pm
jblackburn offline

Hi kwijibo007.

I"ve tried your plugin but without success. When I try to pair the TV, I'm always receiving "Unable to pair TV at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx". My IP address is good because the status icon is ok. That mean the "ping" function is working. My TV model is "UN55H6400". Any ideas?

Thanks!

Joël

Posted on
Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:49 am
Suncroft offline

I to am having problems pairing with my TV which is a 2015 model ue48js9000
I think Samsung may have changed their control protocols with the newer TV's. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Posted on
Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:40 pm
kwijibo007 offline

Hi jblackburn/Suncroft

Apologies for the delay in responding, does the Smart View 1.0 app found below work? (assuming you have an iOS device?)

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/smart-view-1.0/id359580639?mt=8

Pete

Posted on
Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:56 am
jblackburn offline

Yes, the apps works with my Samsung TV!

Thanks!

Posted on
Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:31 am
kwijibo007 offline

My understanding is that the protocol should be the same If the app works.

In the Smart View app, can you click the "i" on the first screen (the box flips around and shows the model, IP, etc.) and confirm that the model shown here is what you have in the plugin configuration screen? It's probably worth checking the IP is correct while you're there too, although it sounds like that's not the issue.

The Indigo MAC address is also really important to confirm. This is how the TV binds to the plugin and trusts it. Perhaps just check that your using the correct MAC for the interface you're using (wired or wireless).

If still not working I'll provide some Python scripts for you to run in order to track down exactly where it's failing... If you don't mind troubleshooting that is :)

Pete

Posted on
Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:32 am
Suncroft offline

Only the Samsung Smart View 2.0 app connects to my 2015 model TV.

Thanks

Posted on
Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:06 am
kwijibo007 offline

Only the Samsung Smart View 2.0 app connects to my 2015 model TV

In which case it appears that some newer model TVs aren't supported, Sorry Suncoft. The TV control aspects of the plugin are based of some very good work done by other people. As I don't have a TV compatible with the 2.0 app I can't even begin to integrate it. I'll update the first post to include this info.

jblackburn, if the 1.0 app is working for you I'm happy to continue troubleshooting.

Pete

Posted on
Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:57 am
Suncroft offline

Thats ok and thanks for conforming Pete.
2015 models re based on the new Tizen operating system so a lot has changed I think

Thanks

Stephen

Posted on
Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:41 am
jblackburn offline

Me too, only Samsung Smart View 2.0 worked with my TV...

Thanks!

Joël

Posted on
Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:13 pm
donwexler offline

Works great :D but only recognizes one button command per action group. Possible timing issue when trying to send more than one command ? TV is about 3 years old

Posted on
Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:28 pm
kwijibo007 offline

donwexler wrote:
Works great but only recognizes one button command per action group. Possible timing issue when trying to send more than one command ? TV is about 3 years old

Thanks donwexler :) . You can do multiple button presses per action group by adding delays between the button presses. I have one action group for when I wake up in the morning that turns on the TV, (waits 10 seconds), then switches the source to TV (waits another 3 seconds) and then changes the channel to my favorite morning show. Just use trial and error to get the delay time down to a minimum.

I thought long and hard about how to neatly queue commands within the plugin but there were two main issues that are tricky to overcome. The first is that different commands take different times to execute on the TV (this I could probably overcome). The second is that I am assuming different model TVs will have different response times. In the interest of making the plugin universal on supported models, I thought it best to use the Indigo built in delay feature to give people more control.

Pete

Posted on
Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:52 pm
Marty offline

I haven't been able to get the remote side of things working, however it is tracking presence/on/off well, which is what I need it for.

Thanks for all your hard work! :)