Lock devices & continuous IR mode

Posted on
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:30 am
kwijibo007 offline

Lock devices & continuous IR mode

Version 0.5.0 of the plugin is now available which adds lock devices and a "continuous IR mode". Download is here https://github.com/kwijibo007/DoorBird.

Lock devices

This device creates a lock in the UI which triggers either of the relays. There are two modes, auto lock and sensor. Both modes trigger the relay when clicking "unlock" in Indigo.

Auto lock mode lets you configure the amount of time that the relay remains open when triggered from Indigo. When the amount of time expires the Indigo lock device auto locks. This should be set to match the amount of time configured on your Doorbird (default is 5 seconds). This mode only updates when unlocked from Indigo. It cannot detect the relay being triggered from the Doorbird app, RFID or pin code.

Sensor mode allows you to set an Indigo sensor device which you have wired to the relays(s) in order to detect changes. I am using a Fibaro Universal Sensor Z-Wave device for this purpose. The plugin lock device simply mimics the sensor device you have connected. This allows you to detect the Doorbird's relay state no matter which way it was triggered. This it a temporary work around/feature until the API is updated to report the relays being triggered.

Please note: Using either method it is not currently possible to "lock" the device. Doorbird has no method of doing this. You must wait for the time you have configured in the Doorbird app to expire.

Continuous IR mode

When triggering the IR light the Doorbird device turns on the light for only 3 minutes. I use Security Spy for continuous monitoring. At night the camera is practically useless as it's pitch black.

This mode sends the IR command every 90 seconds (editable in advanced options) which keeps the IR light on continuously. When you disable this mode the IR light will remain on for up to 3 minutes while Doorbird 3 minute timer completes.

WARNING: I contacted Doorbird support to ask if leaving the IR light on continuously could damage the Doorbird. The short answer was that it could reduce the life of the IR light. Use this feature at your own risk.

Pete

Posted on
Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:37 am
kwijibo007 offline

Re: Lock devices & continuous IR mode

I contacted Doorbird support regarding any possible damage leaving the IR light on continuously could do. They replied that it could reduce the life of the IR light.

Do you guys think I should remove this feature from the plugin? Or add a warning somehow?

The reality is that someone could create an Indigo scheduale that executes the one-time IR light action every 90 seconds anyway....

Posted on
Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:23 am
berkinet offline

kwijibo007 wrote:
Version 0.5.0 of the plugin is now available which adds lock devices ...

You call it a Lock Device, I call it a Gate Open Device. Works perfectly for opening my gate. Thanks.

The concept the DoorBird is a door lock controller seems to be stuck in the minds of their marketing team. So, terminology in their documentation and API follows that paradigm. In fact, the DoorBird is an access control device and works equally well with door locks, gates, bollards, barriers, etc.

Posted on
Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:36 am
berkinet offline

First, kwijibo007 wrote:
I use Security Spy for continuous monitoring. At night the camera is practically useless as it's pitch black.

I have asked SecuritySpy three time for a feature to allow execution of arbitrary commands (AppleScript) from a contextual menu when viewing a camera. With such a feature one could control the IR light, open the door, etc. Their response was first unenthusiastic and then " and I'm afraid that we are unlikely to implement such an option, as it is not something that is often requested by users." So, maybe others need to request the feature.

then, kwijibo007 wrote:
...Do you guys think I should remove this feature from the plugin? Or add a warning somehow?....

It would be a little extra UI work, But, I'd add an input to set the IR light on time in minutes, with a time of 0 being infinite. Then, if zero is entered, expose text explaining the possible impacts of leaving the IR lights on and a checkbox to go ahead. If a value > 0 is entered, you send the off command after the timer expires. Otherwise, just leave the light on.

Posted on
Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:18 am
kwijibo007 offline

berkinet wrote:
You call it a Lock Device, I call it a Gate Open Device

Fair point :D Would you like an option to change it from a lock device to a regular On/Off switch? I'm not sure if there's an Open/Close switch device?

berkinet wrote:
I have asked SecuritySpy three time for a feature to allow execution of arbitrary commands (AppleScript) from a contextual menu when viewing a camera. With such a feature one could control the IR light, open the door, etc.

This would be brilliant. I'll make a similar request.

berkinet wrote:
I'd add an input to set the IR light on time in minutes, with a time of 0 being infinite.

I think this can be achieved with a standard Indigo timer device and a trigger. This has the added benefit of allowing you to stop the timer early or restart it.

berkinet wrote:
expose text explaining the possible impacts of leaving the IR lights on and a checkbox to go ahead

This is a good idea but I've already added a different solution for the next release. The functionality is disabled by default but can be enabled in the device preferences under advanced options. There's a big red warning next to the check box to enable.

Posted on
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:50 am
kwijibo007 offline

Plugin version 0.6.0 is now available which adds a warning to "Continuous IR Mode". In order to use Continuous IR Mode you must enable it in the Doorbird devices advanced options (therefore reading the warning).

https://github.com/kwijibo007/DoorBird

Pete

Posted on
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:23 pm
kwijibo007 offline

After enabling the feature did you start it from the action menu of the schedule / trigger?
Attachments
Monosnap 2019-03-25 08-19-54.png
Monosnap 2019-03-25 08-19-54.png (564.31 KiB) Viewed 3197 times

Posted on
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:16 pm
kwijibo007 offline

Strange that it's not working as it uses the same code as the one-off IR trigger.

I'm using a different version that I've not released yet (I've been using it for months). I just PM'd you a link, could you please try this version? I can't see why this would fix it (unless I previously fixed an issue that I now can't remember :shock: )

Pete

Page 1 of 1