FYI Apple buys dark sky

Posted on
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:49 am
roquej offline

Re: FYI Apple buys dark sky

Awesome on the alerts via NOAA. Living in South Florida, alerts is the single most important feature I use of the weather plugins.

And yes, I did enter my cc info in OpenWeather and got the One Call API with alerts, but they are unruly. Also, not concerned about costs, as I don't expect to ever exceed the 1000 per day limit. OpenWeather is only used for the forecast in irrigation triggers. All the actual weather info is provided by a Davis weather station on the roof. The weather is PARTICULARLY important in South Florida.

JP

Posted on
Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:21 pm
DaveL17 offline

I get it for sure. We live in tornado alley here. While our alerts might be fewer and farther between, you really don't want to miss any.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:34 pm
zoff offline

roquej wrote:
Awesome on the alerts via NOAA. Living in South Florida, alerts is the single most important feature I use of the weather plugins.

And yes, I did enter my cc info in OpenWeather and got the One Call API with alerts, but they are unruly. Also, not concerned about costs, as I don't expect to ever exceed the 1000 per day limit. OpenWeather is only used for the forecast in irrigation triggers. All the actual weather info is provided by a Davis weather station on the roof. The weather is PARTICULARLY important in South Florida.

JP

Hi, how do you parse the forecast page? I only need a daily forecast to use for irrigation.
I have just stated using OpenWeather and through lots of trial and error I'm able to extract current weather but the forecast page looks a lot more complicated.

Thanks in advance

Posted on
Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:55 pm
DaveL17 offline

My suggestion would be to use the GhostXML plugin. It will assign each data point to an individual device state. I would recommend using the Open Weather "One Call" API which gets everything at once. Set the device to Real Type and configure it for a JSON payload.

Use this URL -- replace `my_lat`, `my_long` and `my_api_key` with your information (and any other parameters you want to include):
https://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/onecall?lat=my_lat&lon=my_long&units=imperial&APPID=my_api_key

Once the device has downloaded the data, look for a device state that starts with "daily_X_". For example, `daily_1_temp_max` would be the maximum temperature for tomorrow (daily_0 is the current day's forecast).

Let me know if you need more help. Good luck!

Posted on
Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:51 pm
zoff offline

Thanks.
When I use onecall I get a message of "Invalid API key". I have to use either weather or forecast.
I have to look into this when I have time.

Posted on
Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:11 pm
DaveL17 offline

Make sure you're using API v2.5 -- IIRC, I wasn't able to get the one call API to work with v3.0.

Posted on
Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:05 am
zoff offline

Hi, the problem is that I had to be subscribed to the "One Call by Call" plan.
Finally got GhostXML going, now the problem is that there is no item for daily_0_rain, only daily_1_rain, daily_4_rain and daily_5_rain. No daily_6_rain or daily_7_rain but that doesn't matter I only need daily_0_rain.
Any ideas?

TIA

Posted on
Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:53 am
DaveL17 offline

Hmmm. I can't explain that. My API key is working for the v2.5 API. I don't think I have any kind of special plan and I definitely don't have a subscription.

Posted on
Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:00 pm
DaveL17 offline

Hey, maybe I signed up for this plan:

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 12.56.36 PM-2.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 12.56.36 PM-2.png (103.19 KiB) Viewed 1864 times

Posted on
Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:30 pm
zoff offline

Hmmm. I can't explain that. My API key is working for the v2.5 API.

Hmmm, thanks! That gave me an idea, when I subscribed it seemed like API 3.0 was the only one available, since you mentioned v2.5 I just change 3.0 to 2.5 in the URL and its works now! Thanks.

Posted on
Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:10 pm
DaveL17 offline

Good deal. Thanks for reporting back.