Connection Reset by Peer Error

Posted on
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:33 am
lvrouter offline

Connection Reset by Peer Error

Fantastic Weather (latest version) stopped working for me displaying this message in the log:

Fantastic Weather Error Unable to reach Dark Sky. Retrying in 15 minutes.

I've tried all the normal stuff, reset my API key, start/stopped add-in, etc. I reinstalled the Plug-In (latest version), no effect. I can't delete and reinstall as it would remove all of my control page fields.

That said, I have a second, new server running on a temporary indigo license (trying to upgrade OS, long task), loaded it there works perfect.

It is NOT limit problem, the Dark Sky site shows that my usage simply stopped.

Any suggestions from anyone?

Posted on
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:39 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Connection Reset by Peer Error

You're the second one to report the issue. I checked my logs over the last two days and I've had no connection troubles at all. I plan to do some research to see if I can scare up any possibilities, but if the connection is being reset on the far end, there may be nothing to do short of waiting it out.

Please stay tuned.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:54 pm
DaveL17 offline

I haven't been able to spot anything with respect to a known problem (just one tweet about the API in recent days)--but that doesn't mean that there isn't an issue.

The Fantastic Weather plugin uses the Requests module for its communication and that's recognized as a robust tool. There is some discussion in various forums that updating Requests' security tools can address peer drops--DISCLAIMER: I don't know what the implications of updating the Requests module is for uses of the module elsewhere, whether it will solve the problem, or if it's necessary for even remotely new installs of Mac OS.

Update Requests Security Tools:
Code: Select all
pip install requests[security]
Use at your own risk.

I haven't (deliberately) changed anything with respect to the code that the plugin uses to download the data, so I suspect (but don't know for sure) that the issue is on the far end.

Posted on
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:19 am
Umtauscher offline

Hi just FYI

I have installed the Cynical Weather plugin which also uses the Darksky service.
This didn‘t work yesterday as well, and miraculously started working again yesterday evening.
So I would think it was their webservice that failed.

Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:48 pm
DaveL17 offline

Some information has come to light which explains the sketchy connectivity for some users. Apparently, Dark Sky underwent a security audit and has been making changes in response to the findings. As a result, Dark Sky will be dropping support for older versions of TLS. They turned off TLS 1.1 (and other old versions) and then reverted the changes, which explains why connectivity went away and then returned. They've now turned it off again. They've warned that further tightening will be happening as well.

There are two ways to address this that I know of. One is to manually upgrade pip and then install security upgrades to Python 2.7. I took this path a couple of years ago and it worked. The second (and the one I would recommend) is to upgrade older OS X versions to at least High Sierra (10.13). For users on OS X 10.13 or later, you should be fine as is. I'm on 10.14 and have had continuous connectivity.

Posted on
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:23 am
Umtauscher offline

Hi Dave,
thanks for that information. That explains it.

Unfortunately my Indigo server is still running on Mavericks and I don't intend to change that, because the server versions of the lastest MacOS's are not working for me any more. That would mean I would have to setup another machine to handle my mail, calender, wiki and contacts.

So: Is there a way to bring python to the latest 2.7.17 and also make Indigo use it. (I tried to install the package from Python.org but Indigo still used the Apple version 2.7.5, so I removed it again)
I would be thankful for any hint you could give.
Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:28 am
DaveL17 offline

To update Python packages, the method is to manually update pip to the latest TLS.

To upgrade Python itself, it looks like the prevailing method is to use Homebrew. This can create complications if you don't know what you're doing--many users have run into problems by accidentally installing multiple versions of Python and I would not recommend it. You can find how-to guides online but unfortunately I can't provide support or guidance on how that's done. I believe following this path will require you to also update all of the Python packages that you may be using that are not a part of the standard Python library. As you can see, this can get very complicated very quickly.

I understand that it doesn't work for your circumstance, but the recommendations here have been to run Indigo on OS X High Sierra or later.

Posted on
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:09 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Installing new versions of Python will likely only cause heartburn. The only reliable solution is to upgrade to High Sierra.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:16 am
Umtauscher offline

Sorry Jay, but High Sierra Server will cause more heartburn. ;-)
I will more likely uninstall the weather plugins.

Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:11 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I suppose I should have said the only reliable method to solve the TLS issue is to upgrade. You, of course, have to decide what's best for your environment.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:20 am
Umtauscher offline

Thanks, I got that.

Posted on
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:45 am
ckeyes888 offline

Same issue here. I'm running 10.12.6

Same solution to upgrade to High Sierra?

If that will fix it, maybe someone has a download link. Doesn’t seem to be available in the app store.

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:35 pm
Umtauscher offline

You can google it, Apple just removed it from the store, it‘s freely downloadable from Apple.

https://support.apple.com/de-de/HT208969

Posted on
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:48 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Thanks, decided to go with Mojave. See how it goes.

Carl

Posted on
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:03 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Mojave got FW working again.

Carl