question on images

Posted on
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:32 am
norcoscia offline

question on images

Hi Dave, today I was looking at dark Sky and noticed they have some nice images (see below). The link to the page that displays the image is

https://maps.darksky.net/@precipitation ... Ridgefield

but I don't think it is a png image - looks like they somehow build it on the fly. So when I try to use that as the source I get the error below:

Fantastic Weather Error [SatImage] Error downloading satellite image. (Line 757) [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'file:///Users/MYCOMPUTERNAME/Desktop/SatImages/rain.png'

Is there a way go get this image using your plug-in?

Thanks for any info :-)
Attachments
2019-10-26_06-14-23.jpeg
2019-10-26_06-14-23.jpeg (284.6 KiB) Viewed 1904 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:19 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: question on images

norcoscia wrote:
Is there a way go get this image using your plug-in?

Hi Norm -- after a quick inspection, it doesn't appear so. Often, you can inspect the html of a webpage and find the underlying image files that are used to display it. However, as you surmised, it seems that this map is built using javascript and a series of image tiles. There may be a way for a separate program to load the webpage into memory and export the fully constructed map as a single image, but the Fantastic Weather plugin doesn't do that. It's likely that the plugin will never do like that because it would be taking someone else's content and repackaging it for another purpose--which (in my opinion) wouldn't be considered a fair use.

Sorry!

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:38 am
norcoscia offline

Thanks and no worries - BTW - what sites do you recommend for sat images? I looked at NOAA and did not see anything like the one I was interested in on Dark Sky....

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:13 am
DaveL17 offline

I find radar images to be very much in the eye of the beholder (I personally use a WeatherUnderground image). IIRC, Dark Sky doesn't make their radar available via the API. Here's one from NOAA (which you may have already seen) that the plugin would support (GIF): https://radar.weather.gov/Conus/RadarImg/pacnorthwest.gif

pacnorthwest.gif
pacnorthwest.gif (107.96 KiB) Viewed 1875 times

In order to work properly, the URL must point directly to an image file (GIF, JPEG, PNG).

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:19 am
norcoscia offline

OK, I understand, thanks for the help Dave!!!

_______
Norm

Page 1 of 1