Dark Sky Acquired by Apple

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:20 pm
DaveL17 offline

Dark Sky Acquired by Apple

Dark Sky has announced that they have been acquired by Apple and this acquisition has implications for the Fantastic Weather plugin. Apple is not allowing any new API sign-ups, so at this point it will not be possible for new users to install the plugin. Existing users should be supported through the end of 2021, when the API will be sun setted. I will do my best to fix any bugs in the plugin during this time, but probably won't be developing any new features going forward.

EDIT: Dark Sky have now reported that existing customers will be supported through the end of 2022.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:47 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Dark Sky Acquired by Apple

One last reminder that the Dark Sky API will be shuttered in less than 2 weeks (unless Apple changes its mind again). When that happens, the Fantastic Weather plugin and support for it will end as well.

Users are encouraged to use the GhostXML plugin with the API of their choice or--for users in the US--the NOAA Weather plugin that's included with Indigo.

Posted on
Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:45 pm
DaveL17 offline

Update on the status of the Dark Sky API. The Dark Sky app was shuttered on 12/31. Support for the Dark Sky API will be ending on March 31, 2023.

So there's a little bit more time to transition from the Fantastic Weather plugin if you haven't already.

Posted on
Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:04 am
DaveL17 offline

D-Day may have come a little earlier than expected.

My access to the Dark Sky API has been down since roughly 02:00 local and https://darksky.net results in a 502 - Bad Gateway message (I was able to view the website earlier this morning). Maybe it's just down, but I wouldn't expect a lot of effort on Apple's part to keep it alive for 1 more week.

A simple page that says something like , "The support for the Dark Sky App and API have ended." or something would be nice.

Page 1 of 1