MacRumors Apple News and Rumors.png
MacRumors Apple News and Rumors.png (381.95 KiB) Viewed 3941 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:21 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: API update

Hey, thanks for sharing. I appreciate the extra time, but it seems that they're just putting off the inevitable. Probably more for all the developers in the App Store. :D

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:52 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Has anyone else noticed a reduction in the weather data quality in the Dark Sky app? It used to be amazingly spot-on. Now, however, it seems to be hit or miss in terms of data quality. Sometimes it's like 5 degrees off on temp and utterly wrong on humidity. And the watchOS complication never updates temp any more...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:30 pm
DaveL17 offline

@jay -- Dark Sky, Apple's native app, the MyRadar app, and OpenWeather all seem in general agreement for my area. At least differences aren't so egregious that I've noticed.

Posted on
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:28 pm
norcoscia offline

Seems to be normal around here, as far as I have noticed…

_______
Norm

Posted on
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:36 am
Different Computers offline

Dark Sky data seems fine to me, but I haven't been watching all that carefully. I will now.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:20 pm
aldera offline

I’ve noticed the same thing up here in Michigan. The temperature has been about 5-7 degrees lower than my other weather apps on most days.

Posted on
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:23 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The forecast is also often wildly incorrect. Not sure what's going on but it's surprising as it used to be rock solid and dependable...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:07 am
Grognard offline

jay (support) wrote:
The forecast is also often wildly incorrect. Not sure what's going on but it's surprising as it used to be rock solid and dependable...

I’ve seen the same thing in the Houston area, especially with respect to prediction of precipitation. Maybe they stopped subscribing to one of the more accurate but expensive weather models?

I’ve been experimenting with https://www.windy.com which lets you choose amongst various models. They have an iOS app and an API, but access to rapidly updated, precision data requires a subscription ($19/year).

Posted on
Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:01 am
Different Computers offline

The first solid observation I have that Dark Sky data isn't accurate: I'm looking up at a sky that is about 20% cloud cover and Dark Sky reports 75%.

Then again, as I type this, I see more clouds coming in. Still, here it's probably 40%.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:21 pm
mundmc offline

jay (support) wrote:
Has anyone else noticed a reduction in the weather data quality in the Dark Sky app? It used to be amazingly spot-on. Now, however, it seems to be hit or miss in terms of data quality. Sometimes it's like 5 degrees off on temp and utterly wrong on humidity. And the watchOS complication never updates temp any more...
My friend and I were just relieved to realize we both used dark sky, and both have the same complaint. I work in New York, so knowing when it is about to start or stop raining down to the minute has always been exceedingly useful for a simple things like planning lunch breaks or going into or out of the pharmacy. Now it erroneously shows as light to moderate rain when there’s not a drop falling; I am really curious if this is related to privacy settings or something with my exact gps location? I have no clue, I just know it is not nearly as useful anymore

Posted on
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:02 pm
DaveL17 offline

I've been seeing bad data here lately as well. Today, Dark Sky predicted a high of 26ºF and "No precipitation throughout the week."

Right now it's 34º (on both my Apple weather app and my outdoor thermometer) and the National Weather Service says:

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO 9 AM CST SUNDAY... * WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 5 inches. * WHERE...Portions of northwest Indiana and northeast Illinois. * WHEN...From 11 PM this evening to 9 AM CST Sunday. * IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions and sharply reduced visibilities with the heaviest snow.

I'm squarely within the Advisory Area.

chart_temperature_forecast.png
chart_temperature_forecast.png (19.31 KiB) Viewed 2924 times

(neither the high or low forecasts are terribly accurate)

Posted on
Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:59 pm
mundmc offline

That’s what I’m talking about! When I lived in New York City, this app kept me dry to within minutes; now it’s like reading last year‘s Farmer’s Almanac.

<<!Behold my nerd rage that I do not get appropriate weather broadcasts from my platform of choice!>>

But seriously, it’s a real bummer that it has not been reliable for about a year and a half now in my experience.

Posted on
Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:05 pm
DaveL17 offline

mundmc wrote:
But seriously, it’s a real bummer that it has not been reliable for about a year and a half now in my experience.

Or converted to other units:

"Since Apple bought it."

Posted on
Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:41 am
mundmc offline

Yep, pretty clear correlation there; I guess it can’t run itself