Fantastic Weather Plugin Bug Reports

Posted on
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:46 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Fantastic Weather Plugin Bug Reports

Monstergerm wrote:
Great job Dave. I just downloaded plugin and will do some testing.

Regarding the icons. I noticed that Dark Sky reports mostly-cloudy and partly-cloudy but uses in both cases the icon partly-cloudy.

"summary":"Mostly Cloudy","icon":"partly-cloudy-night".

"summary":"Partly Cloudy","icon":"partly-cloudy-night"

Can the plugin correct for this and generate the mostly-cloudy icon view?

Thanks for the kind words.

Your idea is probably a pretty easy one to crack from a programming standpoint, but with the transition from WU to Dark Sky, I was planning on making as few adjustments to the underlying data as possible. Your suggestion runs counter to that plan. :D I'm not dismissing your suggestion, but at this point I'll say "maybe".

Let me know if you see anything with the beta that doesn't look right. Thanks!

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:04 pm
Monstergerm offline

TemperatureLow bug in DailyForecast device:

Dark Sky reports a TemperatureLow and a TemperatureMin. If you look at the timestamp for each readings you can see that TemperatureLow is actually for the following day in the morning, while TemperatureMin is the correct reading for the current day in the morning. The plugin currently reports TemperatureLow but should report TemperatureMin.

TemperatureHigh and TemperatureMax seem to be identical readings. So it does not matter which one to report.

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:49 pm
DaveL17 offline

Monstergerm wrote:
TemperatureLow bug in DailyForecast device:

Dark Sky reports a TemperatureLow and a TemperatureMin. If you look at the timestamp for each readings you can see that TemperatureLow is actually for the following day in the morning, while TemperatureMin is the correct reading for the current day in the morning. The plugin currently reports TemperatureLow but should report TemperatureMin.

TemperatureHigh and TemperatureMax seem to be identical readings. So it does not matter which one to report.

Thanks, but I'm not too sure about this one. According to the Dark Sky API:

temperatureHigh optional, only on daily
The daytime high temperature.

temperatureHighTime optional, only on daily
The UNIX time representing when the daytime high temperature occurs.

temperatureLow optional, only on daily
The overnight low temperature.

temperatureLowTime optional, only on daily
The UNIX time representing when the overnight low temperature occurs.

temperatureMax optional, only on daily deprecated
The maximum temperature during a given date.

temperatureMaxTime optional, only on daily deprecated
The UNIX time representing when the maximum temperature during a given date occurs.

temperatureMin optional, only on daily deprecated
The minimum temperature during a given date.

temperatureMinTime optional, only on daily deprecated
The UNIX time representing when the minimum temperature during a given date occurs.

So my reading of the docs is that temperatureLow is prospective once today's low has passed. Moreover, temperatureMin is going to go away at some point. I think we gotta stick with temperatureHigh and temperatureLow. Let me know if you think that's off base.

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:22 pm
Monstergerm offline

Yes, I saw this and not sure why they would deprecate these values.

As long as everyone is aware of that these are Overnight Low Temperatures. If today is Monday and I am looking at Wednesday's Low forecast I will get actually the low temperature for Thursday morning. After researching this a bit more it actually looks like this is the way WU also did it ... never thought about it.

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:39 pm
DaveL17 offline

Monstergerm wrote:
Yes, I saw this and not sure why they would deprecate these values.

As long as everyone is aware of that these are Overnight Low Temperatures. If today is Monday and I am looking at Wednesday's Low forecast I will get actually the low temperature for Thursday morning. After researching this a bit more it actually looks like this is the way WU also did it ... never thought about it.

Cool. Please do let me know if you see anything else. I was (and am) very grateful for your help with the WUnderground plugin.

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:24 pm
Monstergerm offline

Two minor things:

alertUri and Alert - URI should be spelled alertUrl and Alert - URL

In the Hourly device, I think Date - Hour 1 etc. would be better named Time - Hour 1

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:30 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Monstergerm wrote:
Two minor things:

alertUri and Alert - URI should be spelled alertUrl and Alert - URL

In the Hourly device, I think Date - Hour 1 etc. would be better named Time - Hour 1

Since a URL (Universal Resource Locator) is (almost always) a subset of a URI (Universal Resource Identifier) then it really depends on the possible values of the field: if it can contain URIs that aren't URLs then changing it would be inaccurate... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:48 pm
DaveL17 offline

Thanks @Monstergerm.

Jay is right. The Dark Sky API returns a URI, so that's what I went with.

Your comment about the Hour state is right on, and I've already made that change. The change will appear in the next build.

Cheers!

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:25 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Fantastic Weather is a great example of taking years of plugin experience working on WU and turning that into a better product. That is to say that I'm loving the new plugin and I think it works better than WU did - or at least has more useful information for me. Either way it feels like a more mature plugin than it is because it works so well.

I have zero complaints right now.

I have used Dark Sky for a very long time anyway because I've always found it to be more accurate than most other sources (at least in the past year or two) so I'm thrilled that it is part of Indigo!

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:57 am
DaveL17 offline

Glad to hear that you're finding the plugin useful and especially glad that you're finding no flaws! :D

If you find anything hinky or think of any enhancements, please let me know.

Posted on
Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:27 pm
Different Computers offline

I'm getting a lot of
Code: Select all
Fantastic Weather Error         Unable to decode data. (Line 842) No JSON object could be decoded
even though my internet is working fine.

I don't see any commentary on this except in the WU forum.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:33 pm
DaveL17 offline

I looked at six days of logs and didn't get that message once--which leads me to believe that it's not an API change (otherwise, we'd all be seeing the same thing). The log message is saying that Dark Sky returned something in response to the plugin's request, but that something wasn't a valid JSON object. If there's not a valid JSON return from the service, there's not much I can do after that.

Are you seeing the message all the time, or is it intermittent? The URL sent to the service is written to the plugin's debug log. Try pasting the URL in a browser and see what comes back.

Posted on
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:35 pm
DaveL17 offline

Different Computers wrote:
I don't see any commentary on this except in the WU forum.

The Fantastic Weather plugin doesn't use the WU service, so nothing on the WU forums would apply.

Posted on
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:42 pm
DaveL17 offline

@lanbrown: Thanks for posting that output. The plugin is trying every 30 seconds to get back into a good state as quickly as possible, but clearly that could chew through API calls fast. I'll add something to the TODO list to take a look at how it can be more frugal in such a condition.

Posted on
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:50 pm
DaveL17 offline

lanbrown wrote:
I did reset the plugin a couple times today and it would work for a little while and then back to that message again.

It is working right now. So I don't think it ate through the API limit. They may not have registered on their side.

Thanks. You can always check the number of calls within the plugin configuration dialog. That number reflects the number of registered calls (it comes from the API return so it would not be updated/accurate when the API is in a bad state). Also, the API calls reset each day at midnight UTC (IIRC) so at this precise moment, that number is likely very low. Mine is on 8 calls (at 15 minute intervals).