Zone-Scene Handler for … Leviton Zone Controller

Posted on
Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:40 pm
brettlid offline

Zone-Scene Handler for … Leviton Zone Controller

The Zone-Scene Handler indigo plugin is designed specifically to configure and setup up the Leviton Zone controller VRCZ4. The plugin enables Indigo to configure scenes for each button of the controller and it's associated devices (switches, dimmers, etc connected to the controller), receive events which can be used by triggers and to activate scenes and buttons from Indigo actions.

Zone-Scene Handler

Documentation

* June 20 2018 - update version 1.0.375

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:28 am
cesarvog offline

Re: Zone-Scene Handler for … Leviton Zone Controller

Good day!

Thanks for your excellent plug-in. I've been waiting patiently for something capable to handle this particular line of Leviton products for YEARS...
I don't own an actual VRCS4. I got 4 units of the VRCS2 a few years back. It is quite similar, but only carry two buttons. It's like the younger brother of the one you own.

On the VRCS2, when you press the upper button for the first time, it sends Scene 1. If you press it again, it sends Scene 3.
The lower button sends Scene 2 and Scene 4, respectively.

I was able to configure your plugin to somewhat work with my VRCS2. Scene 1 seems to partially work. Still haven't figured out how to configure Scenes 2, 3 and 4...

I would be very glad if you could send some instructions on how to modify your plug-in to be able to select the VRCS2 when first configuring the plugin, and have it subsequently show only Scenes 1 to 4. I have looked inside the Package Contents in the plugins folder, and noticed there are Actions, Devices and Events xml files. I may try to modify those myself, but your guidance would certainly yield better results.

TIA
Cesar/Brazil
Last edited by cesarvog on Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:15 pm
cesarvog offline

Well, I decided to give it a try modifying your plugin myself. I only needed to modify one file (devices.xml). My testing has showed at least part of the expected results. Still testing though.

In respect for the author and for the benefit of other users, attached to this post is the modified (WIP) file (Devices mod. xml).

In order to use the modified version, after downloading the attached file, one has to rename it to "Devices.xml" and put it inside the "Package" (folder) containing the original plugin.
On a Mac, the correct location is:

/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins

YMMV
Cesar/Brazil
Attachments
Devices mod.xml
(10.95 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
Last edited by cesarvog on Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:48 pm
cesarvog offline

Further testing indicate that Scenes 1 (upper button), 2 and 4 (both lower button) work as expected. Scene 3 (upper button) does not seem to work at all. I cannot put my finger on the reason yet. Maybe someone with better knowledge of plugin development could chime in.
I'm by no means a Python developer, but somehow could figure out how to modify the original work to make it about 75% working (3 out of 4 scenes work).

Would definitely welcome any comments/help.

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:35 am
cesarvog offline

I'm starting to think the problem is within the VRCS2 itself. Since it's an hybrid device, containing a scene controller AND two switches, each one capable of turning on/off two separate loads, maybe there is more (or less) to it than a "regular" scene controller. I had all of my 4 units working perfectly controlling the loads, as regular switches, but decided to remove one of them from the gang box, which means only the neutral and line connections are now complete, in order to try it's scene controller feature. I successfully removed the controller and both switch devices from Indigo, and re-included only the scene controller part. I did all this while keeping an eye on the log, and I did not see anything go wrong with the removal, re-including processes. So, I'm at a complete lost finding the reason why Scene 3 (top button - off) still does not work. Scenes 1 (top button - on), 2 (lower button - on) and 4 (lower button - off) work perfectly...

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:34 am
cesarvog offline

Yes, finally GOT IT!

Re-reading the plugin documentation, I noticed something I haven't heed before:

Usually easiest if you have multiple zone controllers to assign them starting with variable of ten , such as 11-18 for one controller, the next 21-28, the next 31-38 etc.

Once I started using 11 for the first Scene, everything just worked!

Thanks again for the author for this brilliant plugin!

Posted on
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:41 pm
brettlid offline

I'm glad you got it working. I wish I had a VRCS2 to test it with to get it working as it should.

Thanks, Brett

Posted on
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:33 am
espressodaily offline

Thanks for this! I was able to associate some switches to group 1. Love that the dim/bright works.
Question: How can I assign a scene (action group?) to one of the buttons?

Posted on
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:53 pm
espressodaily offline

bump. anyone know if this can handle an action group or virtual device? I don't see where to set this up.

Posted on
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:39 am
brettlid offline

set your trigger to handle the "Zone-Scene Handler Event"

Posted on
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:15 am
espressodaily offline

I've tried to figure this out and cannot.
I created a trigger:
Type: Zone-Scene Handler Event
Event: Button Command

I then defined the action to Execute an Action Group.
My action group never runs. I turned on debug logging and I see this when I press the button:
Zone-Scene Handler Debug cmd received: 01 09 00 04 08 07 03 20 01 FF 20 (node 007)

Page 1 of 1