WeatherSnoop Error

Posted on
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:18 pm
vvrangler offline

Re: WeatherSnoop Error

I am running version 3.2.4 and am having the same issues.

Posted on
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:36 am
GRWilde offline

I am now running WeatherSnoop 3.2.4 with the latest plugin and still get the same error frequently:

WeatherSnoop Error Couldn't get site information from WeatherSnoop for device "WeatherSnoop" - check to see if WeatherSnoop is running correctly.

Most of the time the plugin correctly accesses all of the data, but the frequent errors are somewhat annoying. The WeatherSnoop device turns red and becomes unavailable until the next update.

George Wilde

Posted on
Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:17 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I must be a lucky one that has never had one blip with Weathersnoop and I use it heavily with 8 different Wunderground stations. Are you using local stations or remote?

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:04 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

As I posted above, it appears that WeatherSnoop (in your case) is periodically returning an HTTP response without a return status code line at all, which is malformed HTTP. Nothing we can do about it on our end other than what we're doing really.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:20 pm
GRWilde offline

I am using a local Weather Station in WeatherSnoop, My Davis Vantage Vue station.

George Wilde

Posted on
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:26 pm
GRWilde offline

My WeatherSnoop is sending my local weather station data to several weather data sharing services (actually 6 different services) with updates as often as every minute. It could be that all of this traffic is causing missed responses from WeatherSnoop to Indigo.

George Wilde

Posted on
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:28 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Might be worth disabling those temporarily to see if that's the issue.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:38 pm
boisy offline

Hi guys,

I'm following up after a long silence. Apologies.

As Jay suggested, can you try disabling some or all of the upload services temporarily? I'm certainly willing to look into addressing this issue in WS3.

Also, we've updated our support page at http://www.weathersnoop.com/support/ with a section for WeatherSnoop 3, which includes a download link.

Posted on
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:33 pm
GRWilde offline

Even after cutting back on the uploads I am still getting somewhat frequent WeatherSnoop connection errors. Seems to be at somewhat random times. Most of the time I am getting good and accurate data back, but I typically have a little under 100 instances a day (84 so far today at 9:30 pm) when I get the following error message:

WeatherSnoop Error Couldn't get site information from WeatherSnoop for device "WeatherSnoop" - check to see if WeatherSnoop is running correctly.

This is not a major problem, because the data is showing up most of the time and does not affect my weather plots. However, I am getting far more Indigo errors just from WeatherSnoop than all of my other Event Log errors put together.

George Wilde

Posted on
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:13 pm
boisy offline

GRWilde,

I'd like to take a look at your Site Document in order to try to duplicate your issue. Can you please follow the instructions here: http://forums.weathersnoop.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1073

Posted on
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:34 pm
GRWilde offline

Sent it to your support@tee-boy.com email

George Wilde

Posted on
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:41 pm
boisy offline

Thanks George. I received it.

It looks like you have all sharing services turned on, but the polling times aren't too frequent. I have a test document that I'm running which has all sharing services turned on, but with polling much more frequent. I'm also running a stress script in python which is hitting the WeatherSnoop 3 server very fast to obtain the Site Document's JSON over and over.

I'll let you know what I discover.

Posted on
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:20 pm
boisy offline

After a few hours of beating WS3 to death via HTTP, I am unable to reproduce the issue. Here's what I've got:

• WeatherSnoop 3.2.4 with ALL sharing services turned on and uploading at fastest settings and polling a Davis Vantage Pro2 using the Data Logger USB.
  • A modified Indigo 7.1.1 WeatherSnoop driver that changes the sleep(2) to a sleep(1) in the runConcurrentThread function, so Indigo can poll WS3 every second instead of every two seconds.
  • A python script that continuously hits the WS3 server and obtains the site.json file for the current document; it also checks the response code from the WS3 server for 200 (OK) and reports if any other value is received.

The script has hit the server 264,200 times without a single error in the Indigo event log.

George, what type of Mac do you have running WeatherSnoop 3 and Indigo?

[Edit 1: I also realize that I'm running a somewhat newer version of the WeatherSnoop plug-in. Jay, do you think something may have changed to mitigate the issue in this newer plug-in?]
[Edit 2: Looking at the python code for the plug-in, I'm not sure changing sleep(2) to sleep(1) is changing the polling time. I see a comparison of the current time to a lastCheck variable of 30 (seconds?) so perhaps that's the actually poll time?]

Posted on
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:11 pm
GRWilde offline

I am running Indigo and WeatherSnoop 3 on a Mac Mini Server (Mid 2011) using macOS High Sierra 10.13.3. It is operating as a headless server and I am using Apple Remote Desktop for the display. I am using Indigo 7.1.1, WeatherSnoop 3.2.4, and the WeatherSnoop plugin 2.1.2. About the only other app I have running on the Mac Mini is SecuritySpy.

George Wilde

Posted on
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:23 pm
GRWilde offline

My Weather Station is a Davis Vantage Vue directly connected to the Mac Mini with a WeatherLink USB Data Logger and an SLAB_USB to UART connection and a 10 sec poll.

George Wilde