Limiting irrigation based on chance of rain

Posted on
Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:07 pm
Jim offline

Limiting irrigation based on chance of rain

Currently I stop irrigation if my weather station detects any rain in the current day. I wanted to go a step further and skip my irrigation schedule depending on the percent chance of rain for the next few days. I do not see a way in the WeatherSnoop plugin or the NOAA plugin to accomplish. I did see something in the NOAA Weather Plus plugin but could not get it to work in a trigger. Am I missing something? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jim
--

Posted on
Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:15 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Limiting irrigation based on chance of rain

If you have actual weather station hardware connected to WeatherSnoop that has a rain sensor then you'd be able to use that data. I'm hoping that this is the year I'll get some real weather station hardware to use with WeatherSnoop.

I haven't set it up in the new house yet, but I have an Oregon Scientific rain sensor that's connected by an RFXrec433 to Indigo - so I can use that to determine if the sprinklers should run.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:39 am
Jim offline

Hi Jay.

I do have a Davis weather station and connecting to it using the Snoop plugin but that only seems to provide current rainfall. I am looking for predictive rainfall so I can turn (as for example) off my Tuesday watering because there is a 40% chance of rain on Wednesday.

Jim

Posted on
Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:46 am
johnpolasek offline

You might look at Daves WUnderground plugin
http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=149

I believe it give access to the short term(like 48 hour) Intellicast forecasts for a specified Zip code, and I assume you can pull that into variables.

Page 1 of 1