Combining AC/ARC switch and appliance

Posted on
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:18 am
rob1956 offline

Combining AC/ARC switch and appliance

Lets say I have a remote control with address M3 sending commands to an switch with address M3. In Indigo the remote shall be configured as an AC switch, allowing to see the commands send by the remote control. However in order to switch on the switch by Indigo, I need to configure the receiver as an appliance. An AC/ARC appliance in Indigo has controls, as an AC/ARC switch has not.
Is it possible to define the switch to have controls too?

Rob

Posted on
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:03 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Combining AC/ARC switch and appliance

Hi Rob,

Have you tried defining it both ways? That is, having 2 devices.

Note Indigo won't be able to know if the M3 ON/OFF commands are coming from the remote or from the switch device. The switch may not broadcast X10 commands (it might be receive only, depending on the switch type) but Indigo may not know that. So there might be some limitations to how accurately it works that aren't avoidable.

Posted on
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:24 pm
rob1956 offline

Hi Matt,

I currently have defined two Indigo devices using the RFXCOM plugin
1) the KakU remote control , a sending device, as an Indigo switch
2) the Kaku wall outlet plugin, receiving device, with a lamp connected to it as an Indigo appliance

The Indigo switch does see the commands from the remote control and does reflects the last on/off command send by the remote control.
Of course the lamp switches on and off when issuing commands with the remote control, as the switch is programmed/linked to the remote control for M3.
I cannot switch on the lamp by means of this Indigo switch. However I can switch on the lamp using the Indigo appliance. However the appliance does not see the commands transmitted from the remote control. So the Indigo switch and Indigo appliance are not linked and are displaying different states, and I need two devices. So that raises the idea to switch on the lamp by the Indigo switch. And add controls the Indigo switch in RFXCOM.

I might miss some fundamental knowledge or Indigo philosophy , as you mention "the switch may not broadcast X10 commands......" : the remote control is a sender the wall outlet plug a receiver. And by try and error I configure the remote control as Indigo switch and the wall plug as an Indigo Appliance.

Rob

Posted on
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:02 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The problem is that X10 (A10, etc) isn't really a 2-way protocol which makes it really sketchy to maintain state. So it has less to do with how Indigo works and more to do with how the protocol works or in this case doesn't. We highly recommend using 2-way protocols if you want reliable and consistent control and status (Z-Wave or Insteon).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:20 am
b_weijenberg offline

AC and ARC KAKU (KlikAanKlikUit) protocols are different from X10.

I should be possible to receive AC and ARC commands from a KAKU remote to sync this wit the Indigo device, maybe using a script?

Page 1 of 1