Oregon Scientific Out of Business?

Posted on
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:30 am
mpleeds offline

Oregon Scientific Out of Business?

It appears that Oregon Scientific is out (or going out) of business as all of their contact numbers are no longer active. If this is in fact true, everyone who has depended on these ubiquitous sensors for weather monitoring will need to find substitutes. Specifically, Is anyone aware of alternative wind meters / sensors (besides Netatmo via dedicated plugin) that are currently set up for use in Indigo?

Posted on
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:53 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Oregon Scientific Out of Business?

Unfortunately, I don't. I switched earlier this year to the Netatmo. Word of warning: I've had all 3 outdoor sensors (temp, rain, wind) fail due to batteries exploding. I used the batteries that came with them, so perhaps it was just a bad batch. They replaced the temp sensor for free (though it took some effort), I have yet to approach them about the rain and wind sensors. So, all in all, I'm not super impressed with them so far.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:19 pm
durosity offline

Re: Oregon Scientific Out of Business?

jay (support) wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't. I switched earlier this year to the Netatmo. Word of warning: I've had all 3 outdoor sensors (temp, rain, wind) fail due to batteries exploding. I used the batteries that came with them, so perhaps it was just a bad batch. They replaced the temp sensor for free (though it took some effort), I have yet to approach them about the rain and wind sensors. So, all in all, I'm not super impressed with them so far.

So I’ve not had exploding batteries but my outdoor rain module died because of water ingress into the battery/pcb component, which was clearly due to a design flaw. I’m yet to approach them about it but I’ve got a suspicion they’ll deny it. I also have an outdoor wind sensor that so far has been perfectly fine, and the normal outdoor module that also seems to be fine.. so far, along with an additional indoor module. I’m going to replace the batteries though now you’ve mentioned it, Jay.

That said I’ve also got their heating system (13 TRVs and 2 control modules) and it’s been nothing but perfectly reliable for me. Much much much more so than the Tado system I was using previously. So I guess over all 1 failure from 20 devices isn’t a bad ratio... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1