[SOLVED]Long Range Outdoor Temperature Sensor Help

Posted on
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:26 am
mpleeds offline

[SOLVED]Long Range Outdoor Temperature Sensor Help

I have been searching for and testing various supported outdoor temp sensors for use in a sauna which is located about 120 feet away from the 433trx with only limited success.

Most of the readily available RFX supported outdoor sensors (Oregon, Meade, LaCrosse) have range limitations (≈100 ft) which will not work from inside the sauna (or from the crawlspace above when used with a remote probe into sauna).

I have successfully been able to receive a reliable signal with the Oregon AW131 meat thermometer (advertised range of 330 feet), but it has an auto-shutoff feature which can not be disabled (and therefore of no use for consistent temperature monitoring). Any suggestions that you may have for a long range outdoor rated sensor (70+ meters) which can report up to 157℉ (70℃) would be most appreciated. One with an external dry probe would be even better.

Alternatively, anyone who can share their success with another input protocol (Insteon, Zwave, hardwired, etc.) would be much appreciated (Zwave is weak in this area of property, even with Aeotec extender). I couldn't get the the Insteon thermostats (2441TH and 2441 THZ) to work (external sensor does not report to Indigo). I also have an easyDAQ (if a hardwired sensor solution exists), but connecting the wiring to the sauna would be time consuming and invasive.

Thanks,
Merrill Leeds
Last edited by mpleeds on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:24 am
berkinet offline

Re: Long Range Outdoor Temperature Sensor Help

mpleeds wrote:
I have been searching for and testing various supported outdoor temp sensors for use in a sauna which is located about 120 feet away from the 433trx with only limited success.... ...Alternatively, anyone who can share their success with another input protocol (Insteon, Zwave, hardwired, etc.) would be much appreciated (Zwave is weak in this area of property, even with Aeotec extender). ...

How about doing a Wi-Fi link to the sauna and then finding a IP thermometer/hygrometer. Wi-Fi can certainly go the range, especially with a yogi antenna, and there is a wide range of kit out there that will do what you want. If what you find is not directly supported by Indigo, it should be pretty simple to script it with CuRL and make a virtual device. Personally, I like Phidgets. but, as noted, there is a very large selection.

BTW, once you get IP out to the sauna you can add all sorts of controls and sensors.

Posted on
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:56 am
norcoscia offline

I think the New Gen 5 z-wave chipset has an advertised non-obstructed range of 167 meters (547.9 feet) . Since RF range is both a function of transmitter and receiver you might need to put a Gen 5 device as close to the outside target location (within your main structure) and then a second one in you sauna. That should work but I have not tested it for sure so I' only willing to bet Jay's life on it.

If you need a better explanation just let me know happy to help.

PS. I have one out in my back fence gate (inside of an old plastic bottle and it work great...

PPS. be sure to aadd the inside sensor first...
Attachments
2018-08-02_08-49-24.jpeg
2018-08-02_08-49-24.jpeg (250.19 KiB) Viewed 2964 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:24 pm
mpleeds offline

Thank you, norcosia and berkinet, for the replies.

Regarding WI-Fi, I have an extremely strong network throughout the property, but haven't found a supported sensor that fits my criteria. With no previous experience in working with CuRL or Phidgets , customizing a non-supported sensor may not be a viable alternative for me.

I am using an Aeotec Z-Stick Gen 5 which should include the series 500 chipset and several Aeotec Gen 5/6 devices, but haven't experienced anything close to the advertised 547' range (more like 100' per original post). Any recommendations for a specific zwave temp sensor that has the series 500 chipset?
Last edited by mpleeds on Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:09 am
norcoscia offline

Agree - need to be sure you last hop (to the outside) has a Gen 5 Transmitter and receiver to see the boost Gen 5 can give you. Also make sure you have not exceeded the max hop count getting there. Sorry I don't have a recommendation.

When it comes to Z-wave mixing chipsets generations can create problems but not always - it depends on the Gens used and the application - the other thing to remember is moving around z-wave devices once they have been linked / configured is bad mogo.

_______
Norm

Posted on
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:26 am
mpleeds offline

Re: [SOLVED]Long Range Outdoor Temperature Sensor Help

Based on a recommendation from Bert at RFXCOM, I have successfully integrated a Maverick ET-733 BBQ thermometer for Indigo thermostatic sauna control (using a simple python script). Not only does the Maverick have a long range 433mhz transmitter (rated at 300 ft), it does not auto-shutoff (most BBQ thermometers have non progarammable auto-shutoff like the Oregon Scientific). The flexible stainless steel probe wire is designed to withstand high temperatures, and it sends status updates about every 15 seconds, which helps in regulating a more stable sauna temp. Since it is mounted in an attic space above the sauna, I hard-wired a permanent 3 volt AC to DC power supply directly into the transmitter so that I don't have to crawl up there to periodically change batteries. It has been up and running for about 1 week, with no hiccups whatsoever.

Page 1 of 1