RFXCOM looses connection randomly with USB/serial port

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:05 am
CrazyFin offline

RFXCOM looses connection randomly with USB/serial port

Hi

I´ve been running with RFXCOM in other HA platforms and now lately for approx 2 years with Indigo.

During these 2 years I have had random "disconnects" of the RFXtrx433e unit and up until half a year ago it helped with re-cycling power on the RFXtrx433e by removing the USB cable but approximately half year ago that did not help anymore and I had to restart my Mac Mini in order to get RFXtrx433e connected with my Mac Mini and Indigo again.

I have the RFXtrx433e with latest firmware (version 251 and I see that there has been a firmware 1001 released 18th Feb this year) and the Indigo RFXCOM plugin I am using is version 1.7.9.

I have also updated the USB FTDI driver recently (where can I see what version I am on?) as well as updated my Mac Mini with latest OS (currently on El Capitan 10.11.4).

This is the error messages I see and only a reboot will help:

RFXCOM Debug getConfiguration start
RFXCOM Error "RFXCOM serial port" serial port open error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/cu.usbserial-A1Y0756V'
RFXCOM Error make sure the USB virtual serial port driver (ex: FTDI driver) is installed and correct port is selected
RFXCOM Error serial port could not be opened
RFXCOM Error "RFXCOM serial port" serial port open error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/cu.usbserial-A1Y0756V'
RFXCOM Error make sure the USB virtual serial port driver (ex: FTDI driver) is installed and correct port is selected

And after reboot it still has the same serial port number and is working:
RFXCOM initializing communication on port /dev/cu.usbserial-A1Y0756V at speed 38400
RFXCOM Debug serial port opened

My system profiler shows the following info for the RFXtrx433e but I am unsure where I can find what version of the FTDI USB/serial driver I am running on:

RFXtrx433:

Product ID: 0x6001
Vendor ID: 0x0403 (Future Technology Devices International Limited)
Version: 6.00
Serial Number: A1Y0756V
Manufacturer: RFXCOM
Location ID: 0x06400000

RFXtrx433:

Product ID: 0x6001
Vendor ID: 0x0403 (Future Technology Devices International Limited)
Version: 6.00
Serial Number: A1Y0756V
Manufacturer: RFXCOM
Location ID: 0x06400000

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:30 am
autolog offline

Re: RFXCOM looses connection randomly with USB/serial port

I am having exactly the same problem! :cry:

I think it started when I updated to El Capitan. It can run for days Ok and then suddenly for no apparent reason the port disappears and the only solution is now to reboot the Mac.

I have an audio announcement that is triggered by the SQL Logger picking up an RFXCOM error and keeps playing the message until it is fixed which ensures it gets sorted ASAP :wink:

I use a lot of plugs and switches via RFXCOM which works really well when the RFXCOM is behaving itself.

I am not sure if this issue is related to the ongoing El Capitan USB problems?

I am running El Capitan 10.11.4, RFXCom 1.7.9 (firmware 248) on port /dev/cu.usbserial-A1Y07ALB at speed 38400 with protocols: LightwaveRF, AC

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:12 pm
durosity offline

I was having this issue when I installed the latest ftdi update. I didn't have much time to troubleshoot it though as I migrated to a new server (without the update) and the problem went away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:39 pm
CrazyFin offline

@autolog:
autolog wrote:
I have an audio announcement that is triggered by the SQL Logger picking up an RFXCOM error and keeps playing the message until it is fixed which ensures it gets sorted ASAP :wink:

He he excellent suggestion. May I ask yo for that script please? :P

@durosity
durosity wrote:
I was having this issue when I installed the latest ftdi update. I didn't have much time to troubleshoot it though as I migrated to a new server (without the update) and the problem went away.

Hmm not sure since (if I remember correctly) I had a similar problem before the update but at that time I could fix the problem by repowering the RFXtrx433e compared to the issues now that requires a complete reboot of the Mac Mini that runs Indigo.
But yes indeed, definately "feels" like an issue with the updates and the USB problems others are having since the USB port suddenly "disappears".

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:31 pm
autolog offline

CrazyFin wrote:
@autolog:
autolog wrote:

He he excellent suggestion. May I ask yo for that script please? ....

Well it isn't a script it is just a trigger. :)

You have to be using the built in SQL Logger plugin; so assuming you are then set-up a trigger as follows:

Trigger:
- Type: SQL Logger Event
- Event: Error in Event Log
- Event Settings: Monitor for: Specific Type, Event Type: RFXCOM Error

Condition:
- Always

Actions:
- whatever action you want to do

This will cause the action to keep repeating as the trigger will fire whenever the RFXCOM error message appears in the log, which once it happens is continuous as you have no doubt found out. I haven't done it yet but one could add in an action that disables the trigger for a minute or so in order that the speaking frequency is slowed down to a less annoying rate :)

For the action I am using the MQTT Gateway plugin to send a message to an App that listens for incoming messages and then speaks the contents of the messages via Airfoil to my airplay announcement speakers. You could obviously just do a normal speak command to send it out or a Prowl message etc.

Hope this helps :)

Page 1 of 1