Panel plugin not found: natel-discrete-panel

Posted on
Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:45 am
Different Computers offline

Just probably botched up my data migration and when I look at my dashboard I get

for several of the panels. For background, I installed the Grafana plugin clean, because I thought I was going to redo all my panels. But then I thought better of it, and shut down Grafana then replaced the Grafana folder with the old one.

Logged in, and I see only one of my panels, but it has no data. the other panels show the error, above.

How badly did I screw up? :shock:

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:54 pm
dduff617 offline

Re: Panel plugin not found: natel-discrete-panel

i ran into a similar problem. that plugin had found its way into 3/4 of my dashboards. for me after an upgrade, i found that grafana "refused" to load that plugin because it did not meet current standards in terms of authentication/security because it was not signed.

i first set about trying to find a way to force Grafana to load the plugin without signature - modified a few config files, etc. but for whatever reason that didn't work. then i discovered that there did not seem to be any further development or activity in the Grafana users community centered around natal-discrete-panel. happily, i also found that the Grafana folks have added a new built-in widget that pretty much supersedes natal-discrete-panel, called "state timeline".

so what i did was just change all my panels of type natel-discrete-panel to state timeline. it took some clicks for each such panel, but once i got in a rhythm, i was able to knock them off pretty quickly.

btw, state timeline is currently beta, however i think because it is "first party" panel type, i assess that it has a solid future.

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:25 am
vtmikel offline

dduff617 wrote:
i ran into a similar problem. that plugin had found its way into 3/4 of my dashboards. for me after an upgrade, i found that grafana "refused" to load that plugin because it did not meet current standards in terms of authentication/security because it was not signed.

i first set about trying to find a way to force Grafana to load the plugin without signature - modified a few config files, etc. but for whatever reason that didn't work. then i discovered that there did not seem to be any further development or activity in the Grafana users community centered around natal-discrete-panel. happily, i also found that the Grafana folks have added a new built-in widget that pretty much supersedes natal-discrete-panel, called "state timeline".

so what i did was just change all my panels of type natel-discrete-panel to state timeline. it took some clicks for each such panel, but once i got in a rhythm, i was able to knock them off pretty quickly.

btw, state timeline is currently beta, however i think because it is "first party" panel type, i assess that it has a solid future.

Yes, this is the way forward. I've been meaning to post about it. I however did not intend to break the Natel Discrete panel, which I've been including and configured for a security exception. I doubt the plugin author will be updating it further now that there is a 1st party visualization available.

I personally hope they continue to update the timeline view. It bothers me that you cannot include the label of the device in the graph. This pushes the graph to the right, and makes it so that each panel does not line up on the left side.

I will look at whether I broke the Natel Discrete in the latest release, as it was unintentional.

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:47 am
vtmikel offline

Ugh. It does appear to be broken. Once they required signed plugins, I worked around it by adding a configuration line to the Grafana server, allowing the Discrete Panel to load despite not being signed. It appears that Grafana 8 / 9 broke the plugin, I see other complaints on the GitHub page, but no response from the plugin author. I personally began moving to the Timeline panel and did not notice.

You may have to revert to a prior version of my plugin or your own Grafana server to get the Discrete panel to work. Even though it's not perfect, I'd recommend moving to the Timeline Panel as the Discrete Panel appears unsupported by the author.

Posted on
Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:55 am
Different Computers offline

dduff617 wrote:

Thanks for this info! I'm afraid I haven't any idea where to start clicking, but I'll see what I can figure out.

EDIT: Well that was pretty easy. I only had about 6 panels using discrete-panel, and they all converted to state timeline without trouble. Now to figure out why Grafana thinks its 154° F in my kitchen....

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Page 1 of 1