Transfer historical data from Indigo to InfluxDB?

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:12 pm
CrazyFin offline

Transfer historical data from Indigo to InfluxDB?

Is there a way to transfer all historical data from my Indigo PostGreSQL database into the InfluxDB in this Grafana plugin or will the InfluxDB only collect new data?

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:22 pm
vtmikel offline

Re: Transfer historical data from Indigo to InfluxDB?

It starts collecting data once you install the plugin. I have not written any conversion script for historical data from PostgreSQL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:23 pm
siclark offline

You can query your postgres db from Grafana as well, and plot historic postgres and recent influx on same chart.

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:24 pm
vtmikel offline

siclark wrote:
You can query your postgres db from Grafana as well, and plot historic postgres and recent influx on same chart.

Good point. I forgot you can do this. We should add it to the wiki.

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:29 pm
CrazyFin offline

Wonderful! I will start with adding the PostGreSQL-plugin and then try to graph data from my Indigo PostGreSQL database.

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:33 pm
siclark offline

I did a little bit with my postgres data, but to be honest, Grafana works best with short term data, ie looking at intra day, and daily over a few days. You'll soon have enough data in influx to use that.

Be careful to add only states you need, rather than jumping in and adding whole devices to log, you quickly get swamped with data that way, which probably doesnt help with performance, but definitely gets in way of finding what you want.

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:37 pm
vtmikel offline

siclark wrote:
I did a little bit with my postgres data, but to be honest, Grafana works best with short term data, ie looking at intra day, and daily over a few days. You'll soon have enough data in influx to use that.

Be careful to add only states you need, rather than jumping in and adding whole devices to log, you quickly get swamped with data that way, which probably doesnt help with performance, but definitely gets in way of finding what you want.

I’ve been contemplating removing or burying the “included devices” in the configuration and adding some big red-letter warnings for using it. After talking to others in the forums about it, I think it was a dangerous configuration option for the reason you specified - it can trigger a lot of data being sent to Influx.

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:59 pm
CrazyFin offline

I was able to access and graph my historical Indigo data from its PostGreSQL database with the PostGreSQL plugin in Grafana.
Only problem with this method is that the device names are not in the PostGreSQL database so I need to know the device ID in order to know which device I need to select in Grafana to graph from the PostGreSQL database.
Where can I find the connection between a device ID and its display name?

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:12 pm
siclark offline

Ah yes... I forgot about that. Its something that annoys me with influx sometimes, that a rename of a device in Indigo means I lose the history of the old name in my charts, unless I plot both names.

I am pretty sure I found a way to dump them all out in the past, when I was looking to use Qlikview as a dashboard. Let me try and remember.

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:18 pm
siclark offline

This is the thread I discussed doing this on a year ago.... I dont think we came to a conclusion, although this is the time to ask Matt and Jay where their new API is!

Page 1 of 1