Use alternative InfluxDb destination?

Posted on
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:35 am
Fordy offline

Use alternative InfluxDb destination?

Love the plugin - however, a minor gotcha for me - my mac mini that runs indigo old and tired. If i run this plugin it becomes unreliable due to the resource requirements of InfluxDB / Grafana and all the stats I want to collect. :)

I already have a separate InfluxDB / Grafana instance on another (less expensive) machine. Is it possible to configure this plugin to point at an external InfluxDB instance? Its a while since I set it up, but I can't seem to find an obvious config option for it.

Many thanks,

Posted on
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:38 am
vtmikel offline

Re: Use alternative InfluxDb destination?

Yes, it is.

In the server configuration, simply disable both Influx and Grafana. This should enable the fields in the Config Dialog to specify the external Influx server credentials.

Send any feedback if you experience any issues with usability or functionality. I've tested external Influx configurations a while back, and I remember a few users saying they were using it this way, but it certainly isn't the way that a majority of the users are using the plugin.

Mike

Posted on
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:09 am
Fordy offline

Ah ha, awesome - now.. where do i get to the server configuration? I think i've looked everywhere - or is this a manual text edit of a file job? - the plugin configuration doesn't have this option.

I can imagine most people find it way easier to use it the way you've packaged it :)

Thanks for speedy reply!

Posted on
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:19 am
vtmikel offline

Plugins -> Grafana Home Dashboard - > Configure

At the top of the Plugin Configuration Dialog, choose "Server Confiuration"

Posted on
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:38 am
Fordy offline

Ahhh - so obvious now, thank-you! That worked a charm. I totally went straight past the dropdown, not thinking that would change the plugin config preference panel - so I kept scrolling up and down. :)

Many thanks - awesome, I can now use it at speed!

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 1:25 am
yassi offline

I have the same problem too - Influx and Grafana on a Debian VM.
If we change the config in the plugin settings, the local installed instances of Influx & Grafana are still on the Mac, so we have to remove them, correct?

Yassi

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 6:18 am
vtmikel offline

The binaries are part of the plugin, but if you turn off the local servers they will not run locally. You can use the plugin as just the Indigo client to send data to your externally hosted Influx instance.

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 7:55 am
yassi offline

Got it, thanks!
Is working, have to configure the stuff now.

Page 1 of 1