Thanks. ...and a "plug"

Posted on
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:17 pm
dduff617 offline

Thanks. ...and a "plug"

I wanted to make a quick post to thank especially VTMikeL and also others who helped get this plugin going.

Grafana Home Dashboard has quickly become one of my all-time favorite Indigo plugins. It has expanded and profoundly changed my use of Indigo. It provides me with an entirely new level of visibility into what's actually going on inside my so-called "smart" house. I feel like I've left Flatland and entered an entire new dimension (time) of Indigo data and also coupled it to rich graphic visualizations.

A plug for those who may be browsing but haven't tried the plugin yet: I suggest reading the blurb on the Plugin Store page, http://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/167/ and have a look at the "Share your Grafana Dashboard" topic in this forum for inspiration.

Posted on
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:38 am
vtmikel offline

Re: Thanks. ...and a "plug"

Thanks for the kind words. It is quite astonishing how much more advanced your Indigo setup can become once you have a time series view of how your smart home is behaving. You start thinking of new triggers to create, and it's easier to debug your own home. The complexity of my setup has multiplied yet is running like a fine tuned clock.

I hesitated in publishing this plugin after building it for my own use. After all, I am the author of probably the least used plugin on the Plugin Store - Just Add Power (I'm fairly sure I'm the only user).

With Grafana, I'm happy to share it and support it the best that I can, but when you start talking about running TWO servers within a indigo plugin, making them all work seamlessly, the risk is high that I end up not being able to answer all questions and support all configurations. C4W has done this with Homekit Bridge, but I'm 1/4th the programmer he is.

Luckily for me and the community, Grafana and Influx are stable products. And brew packages it nicely so that it's easily distributable with binaries for most of the Indigo user base. The plugin just ties it all together.

Page 1 of 1