Getting started building your own dashboard

Posted on
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:47 am
vtmikel offline

Getting started building your own dashboard

While the plugin reduces the technical knowhow of the installation of the two servers, it still requires you to learn a bit about Grafana and write some metric queries for Influx. Everyone's Indigo setup will be different, but there are some basics that can help someone get started.

I've started a wiki document that details some example metrics (queries) that I found useful in building my own Indigo dashboard.

Wiki page: https://github.com/mlamoure/indigo-grafana-dashboard/wiki/Building-a-Indigo-dashboard-in-Grafana

Please feel free to ask questions in this thread, post examples here, or add to the wiki document.

Posted on
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:22 pm
Different Computers offline

Re: Getting started building your own dashboard

When I have an existing, working Graphana setup and I add a whole new type of device, is there some way I need to update Graphana to have it grab the various states types that did not exist when I installed Graphana?

I've recently installed solar, and I can't find the "watts" sensorValue.

Also, I notice that https://github.com/mlamoure/indigo-graf ... ph-example makes reference to "Singlestat Panels" at the top, but there's no example of Singlestat panel setup.

Thanks!

EDIT: I found the "explore device" option and I get this:
Code: Select all
 Grafana Home Dashboard             state.watts: 222.0 (NOT INCLUDED)
   Grafana Home Dashboard             state.watts.num: 222.0 (NOT INCLUDED)
   Grafana Home Dashboard             state.watts.ui: 222 (NOT INCLUDED)
   Grafana Home Dashboard             state.watts.ui.num: 222.0 (NOT INCLUDED)

So how do I make them become INCLUDED? I tried rebuilding the db and the server, and they still weren't added. Same for reloading the plugin.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:18 pm
vtmikel offline

Re: Getting started building your own dashboard

When I have an existing, working Graphana setup and I add a whole new type of device, is there some way I need to update Graphana to have it grab the various states types that did not exist when I installed Graphana?

Sometimes, yes. There's two ways to add to the states/properties that are included: by including the state/property (across all devices), or by adding a specific device (and therefore, all states/properties are included for that single device). This is found in the Plugin -> Configure -> Inclusion / Exclusion Criteria. If you add a state/property, and add a new device with the same state/property, then it will automatically begin to log. This is why I include common Indigo states in the defaults for the configuration.

I've recently installed solar, and I can't find the "watts" sensorValue.

As you found, use the explore device as a guide. Go into Plugin -> Configure -> Inclusion / Exclusion Criteria and add "state.watts" to the included states. This will begin to log that state to Influx, which will make it available to Grafana.

Also, I notice that https://github.com/mlamoure/indigo-graf ... ph-example makes reference to "Singlestat Panels" at the top, but there's no example of Singlestat panel setup.

These visualizations are built into Grafana. The SingleStat panel has been renamed to "Stat" in the latest versions of Grafana, which shows a single statistic and a background line chart of the history. But, the plugin is behind on the grafana version. I suggest looking at the grafana documentation, it's quite good.

If you are technically inclined, I suggest using my Grafana plugin for the logging, and InfluxDB, but to install Grafana outside of my plugin (it can simply be turned off in the plugin config). This way you'll get the latest and greatest of Grafana, versus relying on my plugin updates to maintain.

Page 1 of 1