Install problems

Posted on
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:19 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Install problems

I tried installing the plugin and got lots of different errors at different times (and several stack traces/uncaught exceptions). I can send all of them if that would be useful.

Currently, this is what I get when I restart the plugin:

Code: Select all
Apr 11, 2018, 5:08:23 PM
   Grafana Home Dashboard          ######## About to (re) start InfluxDB.  Please be patient while this happens. ########
   Grafana Home Dashboard          rebuilding the InfluxDB server (will not delete data).  This occurs when the plugin is updated or if you've asked to manually rebuild the InfluxDB server.  The InfluxDB server will restart several times for this process to complete.
   Grafana Home Dashboard Error    the InfluxDB data location does not exist, please check your configuration
   Grafana Home Dashboard          rebuilding the InfluxDB server (will not delete data).  This occurs when the plugin is updated or if you've asked to manually rebuild the InfluxDB server.  The InfluxDB server will restart several times for this process to complete.
   Grafana Home Dashboard Error    the InfluxDB data location does not exist, please check your configuration
   Reloading plugin "Grafana Home Dashboard 0.0.20"
   Stopping plugin "Grafana Home Dashboard 0.0.20" (pid 24273)

[SNIP  after endless repeats]

Error                           process (pid 24273) failed to quit after polite request -- forcing it to quit now
   Stopped plugin "Grafana Home Dashboard 0.0.20"
   Starting plugin "Grafana Home Dashboard 0.0.20" (pid 24939)
   Grafana Home Dashboard          Checking for updates...
   Grafana Home Dashboard          No updates are available
   Started plugin "Grafana Home Dashboard 0.0.20"

[SNIP  after 100's of repeats]

Grafana Home Dashboard Error    Error in plugin execution startup:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 136, in startup
  File "plugin.py", line 464, in restartAll
  File "plugin.py", line 524, in StartInfluxServer
  File "plugin.py", line 1377, in rebuildInflux
  File "plugin.py", line 765, in CreateInfluxAdmin

[SNIP  after 100's of repeats]

File "plugin.py", line 763, in CreateInfluxAdmin
  File "plugin.py", line 806, in CreateInfluxConfig
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/logging/__init__.py", line 1191, in error
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/logging/__init__.py", line 1284, in _log
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/logging/__init__.py", line 1294, in handle
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/logging/__init__.py", line 1334, in callHandlers
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/logging/__init__.py", line 757, in handle
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/Resources/PlugIns/plugin_base.py", line 90, in emit
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/logging/__init__.py", line 732, in format
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/logging/__init__.py", line 471, in format
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/logging/__init__.py", line 329, in getMessage
RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a Python object

Grafana Home Dashboard          fully initialized and ready...

Then this starts again:

Grafana Home Dashboard   ######## About to (re) start InfluxDB.  Please be patient while this happens. ########
   Grafana Home Dashboard   rebuilding the InfluxDB server (will not delete data).  This occurs when the plugin is updated or if you've asked to manually rebuild the InfluxDB server.  The InfluxDB server will restart several times for this process to complete.
   Grafana Home Dashboard Error   the InfluxDB data location does not exist, please check your configuration
   Grafana Home Dashboard   rebuilding the InfluxDB server (will not delete data).  This occurs when the plugin is updated or if you've asked to manually rebuild the InfluxDB server.  The InfluxDB server will restart several times for this process to complete.

[SNIP]

and repeats forever. It's in such a tight loop that it's using 100% of one CPU and the Mac client UI becomes very sluggish (I suspect it would eventually just freeze).

I pointed the two paths for the server config to my Documents directory.

Thoughts? I was just going to take a look at the UI and see if I could suggest any improvements (based on the other thread).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:20 am
vtmikel offline

Re: Install problems

well... that's not good, and embarrassing.

I'm unfortunately not in a good position to debug or assist - I'm in Germany until the weekend.

My best guess would be that something is wrong with your data path for Influx because I saw this:

Grafana Home Dashboard Error   the InfluxDB data location does not exist, please check your configuration

To be clear, the data directories for both Influx and Grafana should be their own directories that already exist in your filesystem.

Clearly, I have more work to do on my error handling for the config. Sorry for the troubles.

Posted on
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:33 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

So, what the config dialog is expecting is a path to folders that have to already exist? I'd highly recommend just allowing the user to specify a path to a more general location and then the plugin can create the necessary sub-directories/files (and at the same time check to see how much of the structure already exists and only create the parts needed).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:35 am
vtmikel offline

Yes. I’ll do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:47 pm
vtmikel offline

Jay,

Thanks for the bug report. Version 21 now improves first time setup, in particular, the data directories.

In my defense, it was in the plugin instructions and config dialog that the directories must exist. I've never been a fan of creating directories for the user, but I think this new setup works well from my testing. Even if I didn't create the directories, I should have handled the issue better in the plugin. I think testing for first time setup issues is my least favorite thing about plugin development.

Please try it out, and I'm open to your suggestions on the plugin config UI per the other thread.

Mike

Posted on
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:10 am
vtmikel offline

@Jay

There's still some time as I do not plan to release this plugin to the Plugin Store until some Grafana server issues are resolved, unrelated to my plugin. However, I'm interested in your thoughts on the include/exclude criteria dialog box. Any suggestions to improve usability?

Thanks.
Mike

Posted on
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:15 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to look at it since you updated.

I believe I understand the confusion, because steps 2 and 3 are optional (Advanced?) steps. Perhaps rather than identifying them as steps, you hide them until the user clicks a checkbox. For instance, you could have Exclude specific devices and Include all states for specific devices checkboxes. Then when they click one of those, they see the current step 2 and 3 UI, perhaps with a slightly longer description of what the section is for. There may be some issues with the field visible/enabled bindings because of the dialog complexity - if so, I'd then suggest that you move those two to a separate Advanced Configuration menu item since they seem to be more of the exception than the rule. That would also simplify the standard config dialog somewhat.

One other thing I'd recommend is shrinking some of the field labels so that you don't have all that extra empty space at the left side, but that may just be personal preference.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun May 13, 2018 1:01 pm
Different Computers offline

Just trying an install for the first time ever here, and it seems like everything went fine, but when I view the example dashboard I get a little red corner "!" warning that says "Network Error Bad Gateway 502" when I click it.

Running everything on the local Indigo Mac.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun May 13, 2018 1:14 pm
vtmikel offline

Different Computers wrote:
Just trying an install for the first time ever here, and it seems like everything went fine, but when I view the example dashboard I get a little red corner "!" warning that says "Network Error Bad Gateway 502" when I click it.

Running everything on the local Indigo Mac.

Did step 5 of your setup test successfully? That error means grafana isn’t speaking to Influx correctly.

Posted on
Sun May 13, 2018 1:51 pm
Different Computers offline

OK, my confusion from the grafana UI.

The example URL was, I *thought*, the actual URL. The one that says, in grey, "http://localhost:8086" I thought it was automatically populated, and in reality I actually needed to enter it.

Working now! Thanks.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun May 13, 2018 1:53 pm
vtmikel offline

Different Computers wrote:
OK, my confusion from the grafana UI.

The example URL was, I *thought*, the actual URL. The one that says, in grey, "http://localhost:8086" I thought it was automatically populated, and in reality I actually needed to enter it.

Working now! Thanks.

Yes that’s a poor usability choice by Grafana. I’ll add it to the install docs.

Posted on
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:44 am
agame offline

owing to stupidity I need to reset my grafana admin password.
any easy way to do that?
failing that, I'm happy to delete everything and start again. disabling and reinstalling the plugin obviously leaves the config files in place however... any suggestions welcome.

Posted on
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:05 am
vtmikel offline

no worries.

The config dialog to the plugin is where you set your admin password. Just type in a new one. You'll see in the event log that it is discovered as a user change, and the server will restart several times to reset the password.

Posted on
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:35 am
agame offline

oh thanks!

Posted on
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:46 am
agame offline

ah....that is the only the influx password though?
The grafana login password however is my issue. there are references to resetting it in the Grafana CLI, but I'm not sure this is part of the build.