Grafana (inc. Influx) Home Dashboard -- now released

Posted on
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:36 pm
vtmikel offline

Grafana (inc. Influx) Home Dashboard -- now released

UPDATE: The plugin is now fully released to the plugin store, no longer in BETA.

History: The new plugin contains a built in InfluxDB and Grafana server. The plugin runs and manages both of these servers. The goal is to remove all external dependencies and reduce technical complexity to get up and running with Grafana and Indigo as a data source. If you previously used Influx or Grafana outside of Indigo and wish to migrate, the plugin provides instructions on how to migrate from a prior Influx and Grafana installation on the Wiki. Many thanks to smurfless1, who wrote the original Influx client plugin for Indigo, and who still has code that I've used the new plugin.

While the plugin reduces the technical complexity of the pre-requisite items to get up and running with a Grafana Home Dashboard, it still requires learning a bit about Influx queries and Grafana in order to get up and running. I hope the community will provide support and examples to get people going quickly.

Releases: https://github.com/mlamoure/indigo-grafana-dashboard/releases
Installation instructions: https://github.com/mlamoure/indigo-grafana-dashboard/wiki
Forum link to dashboard examples: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=279&t=20472
Learn to use Grafana and write Influx metrics/queries: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=279&t=20541 and https://github.com/mlamoure/indigo-grafana-dashboard/wiki/Building-a-Indigo-dashboard-in-Grafana

Major new features:
  • Built-in InfluxDB and Grafana servers
  • Latest Influx client libraries
  • Granular control of inclusion and exclusion criteria to control which devices, and what states, are sent to InfluxDB and Grafana (dependency on Global Property Manager from previous versions is removed)
  • Filtering - advanced configuration allows the creation of filters to prevent values outside of ranges, or sudden changes, from being sent to Influx and messing up your pretty graphs.
  • Utility functions to output the JSON of any device, or to investigate which devices are publishing any particular property. Takes the guessing work out of your Grafana queries.
  • Impoved error handling, logging

Known open items:
  • Grafana doesn't come pre-configured to use the included InfluxDB as a data source. This must be set up manually.

For those that will use the included Influx and Grafana servers and wish to migrate:

For those that will use the plugin to connect to an external InfluxDB, I think you'll still find the update to be valuable to you as there is improved logging, error handling, performance, filtering, and exploring of your devices and states. The plugin size is large due to the server binaries, but they are not used if you tell the plugin not to run the internal servers.

Also, for those that have followed the beta development, there is a feature that never made it out of Beta. Here is the note I posted about that feature:

• Additionally, though I say this with reservations, this release "fixes" the functionality that Grafana has always promoted but has recently stopped working of rendering PNG images of individual panels. I say this with reservations because I've personally found that this functionality does not work reliably and is very slow, and I do not wish to support it as an official feature. In theory, this feature will allow a URL to be referencing a image for any panel into your Indigo control panel.

You can read more about this Grafana feature here, but use it at your own risk: http://docs.grafana.org/reference/sharing/#direct-link-rendered-image

For this to work, you must enable "Allow anonymous access to Grafana", which is a new option in the plugin Server configuration. Be aware that when you do this, your Grafana server is no longer protected with a user and password. Anonymous browsers can view your dashboard but not edit it. However, they would need to have access to your network to do this. Unelss you are port forwarding and exposing your Mac to the internet, this should not be a major concern for most. However, I thought it was important to be transparent and make it a optional feature.

Grafana is moving away from the current implemntation using a plugin called PhantomJS, in favor of a new one that will come online in a future release of Grafana. I'll monitor how this progress goes, and once it's more stable, we'll list the rendered images with Control Page integration as a official feature.

Posted on
Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:45 am
vtmikel offline

Re: New Grafana (inc. Influx) Plugin is now available (BETA)

Version 0.0.15 is now posted to Github. It makes no changes except updating the Grafana server to 5.0.4. I may not update the plugin for every update to Grafana and Influx, but I've been watching Grafana closely as I personally hate the changes they made to the way the dashboards scroll, and I see that they will be changing this in a upcoming release.

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:50 am
vtmikel offline

Re: New Grafana (inc. Influx) Plugin is now available (BETA)

A significant update for those that had problems with prior versions: v0.0.18 now resolves the missing files from the upgrade to the latest version of Grafana.

Posted on
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:38 pm
vtmikel offline

Re: Grafana (inc. Influx) Home Dashboard -- now released

v1.0.11 is now posted which upgrades Grafana to version 6.0. Post any issues to the forum.

Posted on
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:10 pm
siclark offline

Thanks... what are the changes we should see with this version?

Posted on
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:13 pm
vtmikel offline

siclark wrote:
Thanks... what are the changes we should see with this version?

The biggest new feature seems to be the data explorer. Here is the blog post to read more: https://grafana.com/blog/2019/02/25/grafana-v6.0-released/

Posted on
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:44 pm
siclark offline

Sorry. For some reason I didn't see the point about it being for the Grafana update. Excited to try it out when I find time to upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:38 am
vtmikel offline

v2.0 of the plugin is now available to test here: https://github.com/mlamoure/indigo-grafana-dashboard/releases

Notes:
* Upgraded to support Python 3
* Updated Grafana Server to 8.5.4 (this binary should be compatible with any OSX version, both Intel and M1 Macs)

Influx is pegged at 1.7. If you use this plugin as a Influx client, you need to stay on Influx 1.7. I may consider building a separate plugin for 2.0+, but when I do so, I won't be including a built-in Influx server.

Posted on
Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:45 pm
nathanw offline

Good timing, I just tried upgrading to Indigo 2022.1 and the previous version of this plugin had SSL heartburn connecting to my external InfluxDB server (I'm guessing some nonsense with the root certificates in the embedded python2 vs. my LetsEncrypt certificate).

2.0.0 mostly seems to be behaving. I'm getting a few type mismatch errors:
Code: Select all
   Grafana Home Dashboard Debug    Influx client error: 400: {"error":"partial write: field type conflict: input field \"state.display\" on measurement \"device_changes\" is type float, already exists as type string dropped=1"}
   Grafana Home Dashboard Debug    Influx client error: 400: {"error":"partial write: field type conflict: input field \"state.temperature\" on measurement \"device_changes\" is type float, already exists as type string dropped=1"}
   Grafana Home Dashboard Debug    Influx client error: 400: {"error":"partial write: field type conflict: input field \"version\" on measurement \"device_changes\" is type string, already exists as type float dropped=1"}

Posted on
Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:47 pm
vtmikel offline

nathanw wrote:
Good timing, I just tried upgrading to Indigo 2022.1 and the previous version of this plugin had SSL heartburn connecting to my external InfluxDB server (I'm guessing some nonsense with the root certificates in the embedded python2 vs. my LetsEncrypt certificate).

2.0.0 mostly seems to be behaving. I'm getting a few type mismatch errors:
   Grafana Home Dashboard Debug    Influx client error: 400: {"error":"partial write: field type conflict: input field \"state.display\" on measurement \"device_changes\" is type float, already exists as type string dropped=1"}
   Grafana Home Dashboard Debug    Influx client error: 400: {"error":"partial write: field type conflict: input field \"state.temperature\" on measurement \"device_changes\" is type float, already exists as type string dropped=1"}
   Grafana Home Dashboard Debug    Influx client error: 400: {"error":"partial write: field type conflict: input field \"version\" on measurement \"device_changes\" is type string, already exists as type float dropped=1"}

I’ve never seen that error before. What InfluxDB version are you on?

Posted on
Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:13 am
roquej offline

Tired upgrading but got:

Started plugin "Grafana Home Dashboard 2.0.0"
Grafana Home Dashboard Error Error in plugin execution startup:

File "plugin.py", line 199, in startup
File "plugin.py", line 563, in restartAll
File "plugin.py", line 614, in StopInfluxServer
type: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str'

Suggestions?

JP

Posted on
Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:04 pm
vtmikel offline

roquej wrote:
Tired upgrading but got:

Started plugin "Grafana Home Dashboard 2.0.0"
Grafana Home Dashboard Error Error in plugin execution startup:

File "plugin.py", line 199, in startup
File "plugin.py", line 563, in restartAll
File "plugin.py", line 614, in StopInfluxServer
type: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str'

Suggestions?

JP

Thanks. I’ll post an update.

Posted on
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:44 am
MartinG offline

Also having problems with the latest update. I've updated to Indigo 2022.1 and the Grafana plugin update fails.

Installation seems to proceed OK, but when running the plugin I get the MacOS dialogue "“Grafana Home Dashboard.indigoPlugin” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware."

I can grant permissions via System Preferences/Security & Privacy, which gives the dialog "Plugin "Grafana Home Dashboard" v2.0.1 is installed and enabled." All seems to be OK.

But the Indigo log reports this ad infinitum.
Grafana Home Dashboard          config file for InfluxDB has been updated; server will restart shortly.
Grafana Home Dashboard          config file for InfluxDB has been updated; server will restart shortly.

A complete restart of Indigo doesn't help - same error message re InfluxDB repeats.

This is all on an Intel Mac Mini running Monterey 12.1

***UPDATE: a system reboot seems to have solved the problem; it's now working fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ***

Posted on
Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:01 am
vtmikel offline

MartinG wrote:
Also having problems with the latest update. I've updated to Indigo 2022.1 and the Grafana plugin update fails.

Installation seems to proceed OK, but when running the plugin I get the MacOS dialogue "“Grafana Home Dashboard.indigoPlugin” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware."

I can grant permissions via System Preferences/Security & Privacy, which gives the dialog "Plugin "Grafana Home Dashboard" v2.0.1 is installed and enabled." All seems to be OK.

But the Indigo log reports this ad infinitum.

A complete restart of Indigo doesn't help - same error message re InfluxDB repeats.

This is all on an Intel Mac Mini running Monterey 12.1

***UPDATE: a system reboot seems to have solved the problem; it's now working fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ***

OK thanks for the update. Let me know if you have problems.

Page 1 of 1