Warning: InfluxDB v2 is a hot mess

Posted on
Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:06 pm
nathanw offline

Warning: InfluxDB v2 is a hot mess

Both in general, and with respect to this plugin.

I've long been using an external InfluxDB and Grafana install with this plugin. I recently started working on an upgrade to the latest-and-greatest versions of things. Grafana v8 was pretty smooth (so far). InfluxDB v2.1, though, is being troublesome. It's.... different, in ways that are very second-system effect.

Most critically, though, the v1 compat layer they have for basic writing, which this plugin uses, isn't quite compatible. The plugin (defensively) always issues CREATE DATABASE when it connects, and the v1-compat layer rejects that, and the query fails. Commenting that out (living dangerously, I suppose) makes it work somewhat (other things, like setting retention, fail but don't block progress), but there are some other issues I haven't run down yet - at least one type mismatch in a string-vs-float context.

Posted on
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:34 am
vtmikel offline

Re: Warning: InfluxDB v2 is a hot mess

More or less, agree with you. I'm still running v1.7 and do not have plans to upgrade. My past attempts I could not easily upgrade Influx smoothly.

Moving to 2.0 is an entire different python client library. I would have no way to support Influx 1.7 and 1.8+ in the same plugin.

Personally, I now keep my Grafana and Influx outside of the plugin. I'm pinned to 1.7 for Influx, and I allow Grafana to stay up to date with the latest.

Posted on
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:12 am
vtmikel offline

Re: Warning: InfluxDB v2 is a hot mess

An update-

I have an Influx 2.4 instance running at my home to do some testing. I found while doing so that with the latest version of Grafana and Influx, the Grafana team has removed the use of InfluxQL in favor of Flux, a new language for querying InfluxDB. However, Flux does not have a graphical query developer in Grafana and is not SQL "like", meaning it's a steep learning curve.

I'm personally not planning to move to Influx 2.x in the short term. When/if I do, I will not be supporting it bundled in the plugin, requiring configuration outside of Indigo.

Mike

Page 1 of 1