August Home

Posted on
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:54 am
vtmikel offline

August Home

I've created a plugin for the August Smart Locks and Doorbells. You will need either a August Doorbell or August Connect (untested, as I don't have one) in order for the plugin to work. Without one of these items, the August servers don't know the status of your lock and cannot control it remotely.

NOTE: This plugin is untested for the Augsut Pro with Connect. The August Pro should work directly with Indigo as it is Z-Wave compatible. This is a more reliable way of reciving updates from your lock, removing the cloud as a middle-man. Indigo could then act as a substitute for the Connect, giving remote access abilities. See more here: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=275&t=20465

Find the release here: http://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/103/

Please use at your own risk while this is still being tested, and also realize that this is an unsupported use of August's API's

Features
  • Supports the Indigo lock device type with the typical states - Lock, Unlock, Status Requests, and even Battery Level. The intent is to give you the tools to delegate the "Auto Lock" functionality of the August to Indigo. This way, you can tweak the behavior of the auto lock (such as not locking the door every 3 minutes) to instead base this behavior on a combination of other data - such as house presence.
  • Uses the August cloud API's to control your lock, rather than bluetooth. The bluetooth control is very hard to set up and control.
  • Supports the use of the August doorbell as a bridge. Once a lock that is using the doorbell as a bridge is set up, you will also receive doorbell events (motion, missed calls) in Indigo and can configure triggers. You do not need to set up the doorbell in Indigo as a separate device for this to happen.
  • Supports "via XXXX" to see how the lock state was changed from outside of Indigo (August App, August App Remote, HomeKit, Manually). Triggers can exclude remote methods from the trigger event.
  • Automatically creates device states and variable folder / variables for tracking the time since the last lock and unlock for each lock. Useful in creating Auto Lock feature based on variable values.
  • Automatically creates house variables for tracking the last time since a motion event has occurred.
  • Supports the August keypad including triggers for invalid entry.
  • Automatic update notifications

Install Notes
  • The plugin will guide you thorough it. You will have to get a verification code from August, sent to your email or phone, for the plugin to work. August verifies based on a per device basis, not once per account. The plugin must verify a unique ID associated with your August account in order for the plugin to work.

Triggers
  • Lock and Unlock events by known people
  • Lock and Unlock events by unknown people (typically manual use of the lock)
  • Doorbell events - Missed call, Motion detected
  • Keypad events - Invalid code entry

Limitations
  • The plugin works based on polling the August servers for updates to the lock status and your house activity feed. The plugin supports 10, 15, 30, 45, 60, 90 second polling intervals. At this time there does not seem to be any better way to receive updates as they happen. The house feed provides more information, but sometimes is lagged because of the way the August devices work. Therefore, the plugin will prefer the house activity feed but periodically check the status API for sanity. Given that the activity feed is the only source for doorbell events, such as motion detected, missed calls, etc., there can be a lag for these events to be discovered by the plugin. Because of this, I've added maximum latency fields to the event triggers.
  • Sending lock and unlock commands from Indigo can have a lag, sometimes up to 20 seconds. I've seen this happen while manually triggering the API's, so it has nothing to do with the plugin. The plugin has a long timeout period, but sometimes failures do happen. I'm guessing it has to do with August's servers connecting to the bridge which connects to the lock, the round trip can take time. I recommend creating sanity triggers or schedules to ensure that a lock takes place successfully.

Untested but supported. If you've tested any of these configurations, please let us know so that I can mark it off the list.
  • Doorbell without a lock
  • Multiple locks
  • Multiple houses
  • August connect as a bridge
  • August Pro
Last edited by vtmikel on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:15 am, edited 5 times in total.

Posted on
Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:23 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: August Home

Cool! Nice to get another lock in the mix. Thanks for the contribution!

Just a thought: you might want to change the name of the plugin file so that it more closely matches the bundle name (displayed in Indigo). That should reduce any user confusion. You might also want to slightly change the layout of the repo to match, say, the Rachio repo layout - that'll be more future-proof... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:45 pm
vtmikel offline

Yes, Will do this in next build. I initially named it August Lock but changed it as I realized I could also support the doorbell.

Posted on
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:52 pm
vtmikel offline

Version 0.0.8 has been posted to Github. The first post on this thread has been updated accordingly. Updates since the original release:

• Automatic update notifications
  • Better support for keypad events (One-touch-lock, invalid key code were added)
  • Added support for battery level status for locks (still testing to ensure I have interpreted the data that comes from the API's correctly)
  • Re-factored the way that the plugin obtained status updates from the two available API methods: activity feed and the lock status method. The plugin will check both and reconcile.
  • Better handling when a activity log comes in delayed.
  • Added custom state for each lock to track the amount of time the lock has been unlocked or locked. Useful for auto-lock triggers.
  • Added automatic variable creation for locks and doorbells that will track the amount of time since last lock, unlock, or motion

I'll move the version to v1.0 unless I hear any bug reports. It has been running stable on my server for this week, using a 10 second polling frequency.

Posted on
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:36 am
vtmikel offline

v.1.0.4 has been posted to GitHub.

https://github.com/mlamoure/Indigo-August-Home/releases

Documentation has been improved to explain some functionality that has been added since the original version. Let me know if there are any problems.

Posted on
Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:16 am
dlleon offline

I'm getting the following error:

August Home Error Response HTTP Status Code: 409
August Home Error Response HTTP Response Body: {"code":"MissingParameter","message":"params.lockID"}
Error cannot update device state for key hvac_mode to value eco (invalid enumeration value)

Any idea what's wrong? It's reporting this in debug

August Home Debug Refreshing status from August Activity Logs for 0 house(s)... Last Server Refresh: 2017-12-20 08:13:47.868966 (31 seconds ago) Polling interval: 30
August Home Debug Completed processing activity logs
August Home Debug Refreshing status from August "/locks" method to ensure accuracy (every 120 seconds). Previous run: 2017-12-20 08:02:36.481450
August Home Debug Response HTTP Response Body: {"code":"MissingParameter","message":"params.lockID"}

in the config window, the account is green and "all good"

Posted on
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:13 am
vtmikel offline

dlleon wrote:
I'm getting the following error:

August Home Error Response HTTP Response Body: {"code":"MissingParameter","message":"params.lockID"}
Error cannot update device state for key hvac_mode to value eco (invalid enumeration value)

Any idea what's wrong? It's reporting this in debug

August Home Debug Refreshing status from August Activity Logs for 0 house(s)... Last Server Refresh: 2017-12-20 08:13:47.868966 (31 seconds ago) Polling interval: 30
August Home Debug Completed processing activity logs
August Home Debug Refreshing status from August "/locks" method to ensure accuracy (every 120 seconds). Previous run: 2017-12-20 08:02:36.481450
August Home Debug Response HTTP Response Body: {"code":"MissingParameter","message":"params.lockID"}

in the config window, the account is green and "all good"

Hi-

When you added your lock to Indigo after you authorized your account, did a lock appear in the drop down for you to select?

Can you also tell me about your setup? What model lock do you have, and what is your bridge, the Connect or the Doorbell?

Mike

Posted on
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:36 am
jasonw75 offline

Hi Mike. I'm another poster, but I'm having (well, had) the same problem.

Here's my environment:
Mac Mini Late 2009 - 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running MacOS 10.8.5
Indigo 7.1.1
August Home 1.0.8
August Smart Lock Pro Gen 3 (the latest model), with August Connect WiFi Bridge

If I select 'configure...' from the August Home plug-in menu, the account status is 'all good', with login method 'email'.

Every 60 seconds, Indigo logs this:

For my device 'August Smart Lock Pro', I selected type 'August Home', and for the model, 'August Smart Lock' (although I have the Smart Lock Pro).

When I click 'Edit Device Settings', I previously wasn't able to select anything, but just now, I tried again, and 'Front Door' appeared. It now seems to work properly. I'm not sure why the lock didn't appear before.

Posted on
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:04 pm
vtmikel offline

Hi Jason,

I have not tested the August Pro. The Pro introduces Z-Wave support so I would think that there would be a way to get the status of the lock via the Z-Wave protocol. My plugin uses the cloud API to get the status which introduces lag and will, on occasion, be out of sync, though I've made attempts to avoid this as much as possible.

I'm happy to help you to fix the problem, I see no reason why my plugin shouldn't work with your lock and use the August cloud to get the state, but you might want to ask Jay and Matt if the August lock will be supported directly as a Z-Wave device. If you want to proceed, turn on both debugging options and restart the plugin. Please send me the detailed logs via private message.

Regardless I need to do a better job of error handling. Something I'll look into.

Posted on
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:05 pm
vtmikel offline

Ah great, so you are all set then right?

Posted on
Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:33 pm
sbe08 offline

I just tried installing the plug-in and setting it up. I get the authentication ok with August, can create the Indigo device associated with the August lock name. My issues is related to the lock/unlock operations. I'm getting an incompatible bridge error. Have you seen this before?

Code: Select all
 August Home Debug               Response HTTP Status Code: 409
   August Home Debug               Response HTTP Response Body: {"code":"ConflictError","message":"no bridge or incompatible bridge type"}
   August Home                     sending "Side Door" lock
   August Home Debug               Response HTTP Status Code: 412
   August Home Debug               Response HTTP Response Body: {"code":"PreconditionFailed","message":"lock not associated with a bridge"}
   August Home Error               send "Side Door" lock failed
   August Home Debug               started variable updates
   August Home Debug               finished variable updates

Posted on
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:24 pm
vtmikel offline

sbe08 wrote:
I just tried installing the plug-in and setting it up. I get the authentication ok with August, can create the Indigo device associated with the August lock name. My issues is related to the lock/unlock operations. I'm getting an incompatible bridge error. Have you seen this before?

Code: Select all
 August Home Debug               Response HTTP Status Code: 409
   August Home Debug               Response HTTP Response Body: {"code":"ConflictError","message":"no bridge or incompatible bridge type"}
   August Home                     sending "Side Door" lock
   August Home Debug               Response HTTP Status Code: 412
   August Home Debug               Response HTTP Response Body: {"code":"PreconditionFailed","message":"lock not associated with a bridge"}
   August Home Error               send "Side Door" lock failed
   August Home Debug               started variable updates
   August Home Debug               finished variable updates

Do you have a bridge (either a August Connect or August Doorbell)?

Posted on
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:16 pm
maslett offline

Can't create device

Hello.

thanks for the plugin.

I recently switched form the Mi lock to August., I installed the latest lock, connect and keypad and all works well. I installed the latest plugin 1.08 and tried to create a new device. When I select the august lock type a pop up selection box occurs but the newly installed lock is not found and nothing appears to input any auth code. Not sure what todo or what I am doing wrong.

I get the following error messages in the log

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:07:43 PM
Error ReloadPlugin() caught exception: FileIOError -- cannot move: destination file exists

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:07:58 PM
August Home Error Error in plugin execution GetUiDynamicList:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 739, in availableLocks
File "plugin.py", line 563, in getLocks
AttributeError: 'Plugin' object has no attribute 'access_token'

Posted on
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:46 pm
maslett offline

It turns out there was an older version of the plugin installed. I deleted everything and did a clean install and everything now works fine. Thanks so much for the plugin. Mark

Posted on
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:26 pm
fishmg01 offline

Hi. I had the August Home plugin working fine, but recently had to switch Indigo to a new computer because my Mac Mini got fried in a power outage....

After doing a clean install of the plugin....I get the following errors. There's no dialogue about authentication with August and if I try and create a new device, an August lock type device does not appear as an option.

Help!!

Installing and enabling plugin August Home v1.0.8
Loading plugin "August Home 1.0.8"
Starting plugin "August Home 1.0.8" (pid 1151)
August Home Checking for updates...
August Home Error Error in plugin execution InitializeMain:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "plugin.py", line 86, in __init__
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/August Home.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/ghpu.py", line 88, in checkForUpdate
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/August Home.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/ghpu.py", line 175, in _prepareForUpdate
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/August Home.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/ghpu.py", line 97, in getUpdate
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/August Home.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/ghpu.py", line 117, in getLatestRelease
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/August Home.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/ghpu.py", line 145, in _GET
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 1053, in request
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 1093, in _send_request
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 1049, in endheaders
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 893, in _send_output
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 855, in send
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 1274, in connect
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/ssl.py", line 352, in wrap_socket
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/ssl.py", line 579, in __init__
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/ssl.py", line 808, in do_handshake
SSLError: [SSL: TLSV1_ALERT_PROTOCOL_VERSION] tlsv1 alert protocol version (_ssl.c:590)

Stopping plugin "August Home 1.0.8" (pid 1151)
Stopped plugin "August Home 1.0.8"