Blue Iris 5.x

Posted on
Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:42 pm
lanbrown offline

Blue Iris 5.x

Lastweek they made the announcement that Blue Iris 5.x is around the corner:

http://blueirissoftware.com/version-5-is-right-around-the-corner/

Version 5 has an expected release date of June 1, 2019! Beginning today, a new purchase of version 4 includes a free upgrade to version 5. For older purchases, the upgrade is also complimentary if you have added Extended or Priority support to your license expiring after June 1 (see the Options page in the software for this information). For those not on support and maintenance, upgrade keys will be available for purchase as well. As prices for new licenses may increase, it will likely be more economical to purchase a new license or support and maintenance plan before June 1. If you have not already done so, upgrade your system to Windows 10 (or at least 8.1) to insure compatibility. And, be sure to watch for additional posts with sneak previews of new functionality and design!

For some this could mean a possible OS upgrade as well since on February 14th the new minimum is Windows 8.1 and older releases will no longer be supported. He says XP/2003 is no longer supported but where that leaves Windows Vista and 7 is not mentioned. I guess the safe route is at least Windows 8.1 as that is what is listed.

http://blueirissoftware.com/new-system-requirements/

I would forewarn people not to jump to 5.x on day one if they integrate with Indigo until either Glenn or someone else has tested compatibility.

On my system I'll have to pay for the upgrade since I'm not eligible. If you go into Blue Iris and on the main settings page for the system (where you can check for updates) it says I'm not eligible.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 3.40.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 3.40.05 PM.png (49.72 KiB) Viewed 252 times

Posted on
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:55 pm
roussell offline

Re: Blue Iris 5.x

Thanks for the heads-up! Hopefully they'll update the UI, it's one of the few things I don't like about Blue Iris.

Terry

Posted on
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:53 pm
lanbrown offline

They recently updated the browser interface.

http://blueirissoftware.com/new-browser-interface/

New browser interface!
April 20, 2018
By ken

Version 4.7.3 introduces a completely new web browser interface for non-IE browsers. This comes courtesy of Brian Pearce (aka bp2008) and ruppmeister who have done some truly incredible work! Enjoy.

Who knows what 5.x will bring though. At least if you buy a code now you will get a free update to 5.x and it sounds like the price might go up. I think I will holdout a bit and see what it looks like. The current version works just fine for me and it good through September.

Posted on
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:18 pm
roussell offline

Yep, I'm a fan of ui3, I use the browser interface almost exclusively, unless of course I need to do some administrative stuff. I just checked and I'm not v5 eligible either, Kinda stinks since I've only had it since December. I wonder if the 4.x --> 5.x upgrade price will be cheaper than just buying a new 4x license and being grandfathered into the upgrade?

I guess I need to dig around on the forums some, I've been avoiding them because the few times I was on there the spam was so back I got tired of trying to find actual posts.

Terry

Posted on
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:36 pm
lanbrown offline

Yes, but it might be cheaper to buy a new license:
For those not on support and maintenance, upgrade keys will be available for purchase as well. As prices for new licenses may increase, it will likely be more economical to purchase a new license or support and maintenance plan before June 1.

However, it might be best to buy the support option now (or at least before June 1st):
http://blueirissoftware.com/support/

Extended service ($29.95 annually)

Priority service ($59.95 annually)

So the extended service is half the price of a new license at the current price. So if he is saying that it would be cheaper to buy a new license now ($60) then it sounds like the best option is to just buy the year of extended service before June 1st. I think I'll wait towards the end of May since I'm currently good until September. If you're good until the end of December, I'd probably do the same.

Once I buy the extended service; I'll probably disable the auto update so it doesn't try to install 5.x and could cause issues.

Posted on
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:14 am
roussell offline

Just to follow up, I purchased the extended support for $29.95 and it did in fact make me version 5 eligible. Thanks again for the heads-up!

Terry
Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 9.12.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 9.12.33 AM.png (10.17 KiB) Viewed 93 times

Page 1 of 1