Geofence question....

Posted on
Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:02 pm
whmoorejr offline

Geofence question....

Would it be possible to break out the geofence part of your plugin as a separate plugin or open it to other plugin devices? I have a large family and with the recent iOS change, only some of my family are location tracked with FFM, the others with Life360. It would be great if the geofence part of your plugin could recognize devices with Lat/Long states that are outside of the plugin.

I'm also discussing this on Ryan Buckner's forum (writer of the Life360 plugin) to see if it's doable from that end. Ideally as part of his plugin or as a separate plugin that could leverage Lat/Long from FFM, Life360 or DomoPad (or any other plugin device that generates states for Latitude/Longitude.) https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=363&t=27379&p=219837#p219837

Thanks for all your work on the FFM plugin and I'm curious to know your thoughts on this.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:06 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Re: Geofence question....

how does it work? I might be able to replicate it.

Posted on
Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:15 pm
durosity offline

On a side note I’ve recently come across this

https://github.com/fjxmlzn/FindMyHistory

Which I’ve asked if it can be integrated into this plugin which would then allow you to track your friends again (and AirTags too)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:41 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi

I see the few Geofences threads.

The Geofence code base is pretty simple, although took a bit of time to figure out the accuracy impact. Need latitude, longitude, and horizontal accuracy (given in m) to define whether within geofence or not. And a few lat long distance math calculator type functions.

If not accurate enough will not be registered as being present, will however register as not being in Geofence if further away that accuracy distance.

Would be far better incorporated into whatever Plugin is using. (eg. Life360)
The code base for the basic plugin stuff, then checking every indigo device for update via deviceUpdate, create devices, finding lat/long, and accuracy and then triggering etc.. all would be quite a bit of work, particularly as the actual function of the plugin which would only run to a few dozen lines of code.

The Geofence plugin you link to (in the other thread) is updated for python 3 (thank Joe for that), it is in use, and works for python3. You are correct in that uses free apps Geofency for one. These need to be installed and setup on device and then on arrival at various places within the app - trigger Indigo devices to reflect location. Works pretty well, one positive is immediate on arrival (seems to remember wifi networks as trigger to update location). Obviously another device and app setup with its own issues.

I’ll think on any other solution that comes to mind

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:53 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Thanks Glenn. I've taken. a stab at implementation and it's being tested.

BTW, I love your AppleTV plugin. Any chance you're willing to build a simple Samsung TV plugin that supports basic state and on/off capability?

Posted on
Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:18 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi Ryan

Yep - Posted on the other thread - do consider accuracy early otherwise random exits/enters. The Long/Lat given can just be a guess depending on accuracy - those big circles covering Geofence but almost always not within in it.

re: Samsung - probably not high on agenda - the appleTV plugin actually covers most of it now. On/Off/Volume and selection for me..
(I did look for a Tizen library ages ago, and there was some aspect that made it not straightforward I seem to remember…)

…. Hands the hot potato to you ….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:23 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1