Potential solution AirTag and Friends tracking..

Posted on
Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:04 pm
durosity offline

I’ve stumbled upon this project when researching tracking AirTags (to paint a picture of where my cats are going!)

https://github.com/fjxmlzn/FindMyHistory

You have to keep the Find Things app open, and there’s no friends support on it yet, but one of the commenters on issue 12 looks like they’re planning to add that functionality.

Think this may be something that could be incorporated into your FindFriends plugin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:24 pm
GlennNZ offline

Re: Potential solution AirTag and Friends tracking..

Hi

Sorry - thought I had replied to this - but some network issue so never went.

Yep, but Nope.

It seems like this example looks at the log file generated by the OSX FindMy app and uses that to report back locations etc. That is the reason as per their instructions that have to have the FindMy App logged in and running at all times on the OSX machine.

Not really an ideal solution I wouldn’t have thought.

On another note - AirTags won’t update location unless your cats carry around an iphone…. Need to be near a iOS device for them to update. Single location once near an iOS device its great for, but not so great for animal tracking I have found.

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:17 pm
durosity offline

Ah no worries, just thought it was an interesting idea! In my own setup I don’t really have an issue with the app being open in the background ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That said the AirTags do update whenever they’re near anyone who has an iPhone, which is clearly quite a lot in my area.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:43 pm
GlennNZ offline

I can have a look at it again.

Pre-requisites would seem to be:
Find My App open at all time (which may cause battery issue as appears to constantly track everything?)
Need to enable file access in security to IndigoPluginHost3 to read the log file, via plugin
Probably would not work on different versions of OSX as the logging and Find My app is changed/updated.
& Plugin would need to be be re-written to support these potential new device types (that is easy enough)

Few hurdles here - nothing impossible - but the likely support level to keep this going will be pretty high.

2nd look:
Only gives Items and own devices (which already have)
Does NOT track Friends unfortunately

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:48 am
durosity offline

Ah darnit, I just realised something. So I knew there was no friends support, but I misunderstood one of the issue comments https://github.com/fjxmlzn/FindMyHistor ... 1659307140 . I thought that they had developed an update for the repo to track friends too, but alas not.

That said.. maybe something to revisit if there’s any movement on that front. I’ll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for having another look at it :)

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1