Changed DNS causing authentication problem?

Posted on
Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:48 am
Different Computers offline

I can't imagine how this would work, but here we are:

Changed my router level DNS last night to something new, and everything seemed fine. This morning, FindFriendsMini reports login failures.

Double checked the password after manually logging in at iCloud.com successfully.

Still "login failed."

2FA is not enabled. And to be clear, I haven't changed the password for this account recently.

Any ideas? DNS seems a far reach, but it's the only thing that has changed recently.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:11 pm

Re: Changed DNS causing authentication problem?

I'm at a loss about how and why FFM stopped working. I've triple checked the iCloud login, the lack of 2FA, and I still get "Login failed."

I've reversed the DNS change I made and that didn't fix anything.

Any ideas?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:35 pm
racarter offline

I have this issue too (and I haven't made any changes, DNS or otherwise).

Posted on
Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:19 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi all,

Have been looking into to this without much solution I’m afraid.

My take is it seems that apple now marks all non-2FA accounts as needing repair. And with login of icloud informs you of this and has option to upgrade. This causes pyicloud to fail to login/connect. Pyicloud the main library (modified quite a bit) for our usage, scraps the web icloud.com login hence fails because of this change. This main library hasn’t had much traffic, so it seems no one else has seen this as yet or everyone is using 2FA enabled accounts.

2FA accounts work okay - with the exception that occasionally they need to be re-authorised with a verification code. (there is a new plugin trigger when this happens)

Currently - think options are to wait it out and see if a solution appears or change to a 2FA account.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:38 pm

Appreciate the insight! I'll consider for a bit if I want to up grade to 2FA.

Page 1 of 1