Geofencing of unassigned friend incorrect?

Posted on
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:15 am
Different Computers offline

I'm just now beginning to troubleshoot this, so apologies if I don't yet have all the details. I've noticed for weeks now that Indigo reports my wife as home when she is not. As she's currently on a two week cruise with her mother, this is a good time to troubleshoot it.

This morning I manually set her status as away, and not long after her status changed again to home. So I had a short window to search for in the log, and it turns out that FindFriendsMini is reporting her home.

Now the odd thing is, that probably due to some short term "enter your password" nonsense with iCloud, the FindFriendsMini account has lost the ability to populate my wife's device with her Apple ID. She has a device, but it reports "waiting." My status reports as correct, even showing the proper "WORK" location in real time.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:42 am
GlennNZ offline

Different Computers wrote:
I'm just now beginning to troubleshoot this, so apologies if I don't yet have all the details. I've noticed for weeks now that Indigo reports my wife as home when she is not. As she's currently on a two week cruise with her mother, this is a good time to troubleshoot it.

This morning I manually set her status as away, and not long after her status changed again to home. So I had a short window to search for in the log, and it turns out that FindFriendsMini is reporting her home.

Now the odd thing is, that probably due to some short term "enter your password" nonsense with iCloud, the FindFriendsMini account has lost the ability to populate my wife's device with her Apple ID. She has a device, but it reports "waiting." My status reports as correct, even showing the proper "WORK" location in real time.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?

Hmm.

Check the first page instructions, as you should setup a separate non-2FA account to manage the friends. Your wife’s password shouldn’t be needed for the plugin.

Therefore it would seem either that setup of Plugin is not correct, or if you have done so - the issue then lies with apple findfriends on wife’s account. (& and probably your wife’s phone account findfriends login perhaps isn’t active). If password on wife’s phone incorrect and findfriends not logged in that would do it. Obviously if apple findfriends/server data incorrect then plugin can’t fix that.

Another check would be to check findfriends app on the plugin account on Mac.

Although you would think the plugin should report as unavailable...

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:22 am

Re: Geofencing of unassigned friend incorrect?

>Check the first page instructions, as you should setup a separate non-2FA account to manage the friends.

Yup, this is as it has been for a while. My issue is with the password to the non-2FA account. FindFriendsMini is logged in, but so far I haven't been able to log into the account any other way.

As for the rest, yeah, it's all very odd. I can imagine it NEVER reporting my wife being anywhere if there was a problem with her permissions for the other account, but to regularly tell me she's home when she's not, and while it's reporting me properly?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:26 am
GlennNZ offline

Different Computers wrote:
>Check the first page instructions, as you should setup a separate non-2FA account to manage the friends.

Yup, this is as it has been for a while. My issue is with the password to the non-2FA account. FindFriendsMini is logged in, but so far I haven't been able to log into the account any other way.

As for the rest, yeah, it's all very odd. I can imagine it NEVER reporting my wife being anywhere if there was a problem with her permissions for the other account, but to regularly tell me she's home when she's not, and while it's reporting me properly?

Yeah - I suspect the plugin gets that from findfriends server as the last location, therefore, reasonably marks her as home. Probably the connection failed/password issue occurred at home - and either the plugin or findfriends server defaults to last address.

Apple server connection errors are hard to trap unless actually experiencing it. And in this case the plugin wouldn’t be getting a connection error, rather findfriends server data for wife is old/bad.
If you look at findfriends app on indigo mac with the non-2fa account - where does that believe your wife is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:29 pm

Re: Geofencing of unassigned friend incorrect?

Ok, managed to get in to the FF iCloud account and it looks like the problem is with my wife's account.

Can't fix that until she's back.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1