FindFriendsMini a new iCloud FindmyFriends Plugin

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:44 pm
GlennNZ offline

Re: FindFriendsMini a new iCloud FindmyFriends Plugin

Yeah.

Occassionally - seems to vary, at at guess around once a month,. with occasional emails

The plugin has a trigger that fires when this happens/expires - so it can let you know to update the 2FA within the plugin

2FA is one way and this recent change seems to be more along those lines.

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:50 pm
jingai offline

Ok. Do you happen to know if I need to have an iDevice (iPhone/iPad/Mac) logged in to the account for the 2FA? Or will it send a code via SMS?

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:51 pm
GlennNZ offline

Sorry - not sure.
I was hoping that could go into icloud and unmark account as 'needing repair'
Yet to happen.

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:01 am
GlennNZ offline

Ok

Re: non-2FA accounts

I have spent far too much time on this - but may have a solution forthcoming. 3 out of 4 steps down, just last one to sort out, which have been dragged away from.

Unfortunately the main library hasn’t had much action, and if/when get this working will try push back to pyicloud library when can.

I suspect that non 2FA accounts days are limited - HomeKit requires 2FA to share currently and probably soon to further limitations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:14 pm
Eagleye offline

Hi Glenn,

Just checking on how you are progressing with this. I'm getting plugin notifications in my Event Log (see attachment below). I have tried to generate a new 2FA verification code from the associated iCloud account and add the configured section of the plugin, but it does not seem to correct the event log notification.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 10.06.50 am.png
Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 10.06.50 am.png (13.06 KiB) Viewed 3415 times

Posted on
Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:18 pm
GlennNZ offline

Re: non-2FA accounts
4th step was a problem and can’t get past it - although will have a look and see whether anything has changed

2FA accounts
Seem’s you have?
Should be working - I get a quick email often when not from some!

That message may be a general failure of authentication - might need more of a debug log and check whether anything else going on.
Would also try to login to iCloud with safari on the indigo Mac and see if any general account issue

(Sometimes additional dialogues - accept terms
And conditions, something changed that needs to be reset)

Glenn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:07 am
siclark offline

Hi Glenn,

I have started having this issue in the last few days and have a 2FA account that has previously worked.

Along with above reported error, I get "Issue connecting to icloud. ?Internet issue, or temp icloud server down..."

but I can log in to icloud on safari with no problem.

Posted on
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:26 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi all,

A few days ago - Apple made some changes, deleting access to findmyfriends from icloud login.

You'll notice when you login to icloud - there is no find Friends options - only Find (your own) devices..
(Actually it appears these options disappeared a while ago, but the fmf link still existing and gave us friends data..)

Apparently family sharing however remains working - I'll investigate what can be done...

Glenn

Posted on
Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:29 pm
GlennNZ offline

FindFriendsMini a new iCloud FindmyFriends Plugin

See here for 1.5.1+ and a work-around for some
https://github.com/Ghawken/IndigoPlugin ... /tag/1.5.1

Apple has big server changes which this is a response to.
Apple has remove support for 'Friend' devices, and accessing friends info, except through ipad/iphones

What does this mean?
It means we can no longer access Friend data in any fashion.
I suspect this is permanent, the web lost access a year or so ago, whilst the web link remained and gave data - that has now gone.

We however continue to access Family and Own Device data (every family device, and every personal device)

This means you may need to change your signed in account - from indigo (with friends) to main apple account with family members/own devices.

I suspect most usage is within Family groups,
Which this new release continues to support.

I have updated and hopefully have minimized the need for any major device deletions/triggers/impact etc.
Steps:
Install this release. (1.5.1). (or 1.5.5 from Code button github.com python_3 tree)

I would go into current iFriendDevice devices (which will be offline and fail to work) and press the Edit button,
& Go to Model: Menu
Change the Model to FindFriends Family Device.
Select the correct Family iOS Device (and here are all devices from all family, including the logged account) from the popup.
Save and exit.

Repeat for all your 'Friend' plugin devices.

Hopefully usual function resumes….

&& Should we change name of plugin?
Probably - as now really a FindFamily plugin, rather than friends (but will see if any other work-around down the track)

Certainly some the documentation is now out dated, as really need to use main apple account and here we are accessing family members. Not quite as seperate, nor as flexible, but it does look like this change from apple is one way.

(all other implementations have the same issue and one or another of these may come up with another solution - will wait and see, and should be easy to change back if a solution is forthcoming)

Thanks

Glenn

Posted on
Wed May 10, 2023 3:08 pm
GlennNZ offline

Apple has continued to delete and change its end points.

Latest is removal completely of all the findfriends endpoints - change above was returning device data only. Now the actual endpoint seems to be gone completely, with data returned altered for good measure.

This leads to not surprisingly a complete failure of the plugin.

Have uploaded version 1.5.6

https://github.com/Ghawken/IndigoPlugin ... e/Python_3

This is a pretty quick and dirty, ‘monkey-patch’ to try to get up and going quickly.
Hence to download - press the Code button and install.

I’ll tidy up and put out a github release/store release as soon as can.

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:33 am
Different Computers offline

EDIT: Figured it out, leaving this up as a how to.

It's necessary to press the "Submit Code" button after successful login, even if you don't have to use a code.

All working now.

Hey Glenn,

Getting this strange combo of messages where it logs in correctly but then says it's not finished and needs 2FA right after it said it doesn't need 2FA:
Code: Select all
 FindFriendsMini                 Attempting Login to Apple Account:mdawson@mac.com
   FindFriendsMini                 Account username and password has been verifed by Apple
   FindFriendsMini                 Two Factor Authenication (2FA) is NOT enabled on this account
   FindFriendsMini                 OR this Computer/Device is a Trusted Session.  Hence Code not needed
   FindFriendsMini                 This is the ideal setup for iFindFriends
   FindFriendsMini                 Nothing further is required and the account should be functioning
   FindFriendsMini                 Please select options and press Save.
   FindFriendsMini                 ==================================================================================================================================

Sep 30, 2023 at 11:29:58 AM
   FindFriendsMini                 ==================================================================================================================================
   FindFriendsMini                 Plugin Config is not complete.
   FindFriendsMini                 Please go to Plugin Config Page and re-Login
   FindFriendsMini                 & enter 2FA as required

???

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:16 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi

non 2FA accounts are basically walking backwards out the door at Apple.

If you have a non-2FA account working.
1. That is great!
2. Some funky messaging is to be expected.
3… are you sure is correctly connected/updating??

My non-2FA stopped working a while ago, turns out apple makes them as needing repair. This stopped the correct login that we use here (and elsewhere) from succeeding. Tried for too long to fix but couldn’t get past the last apple repair needed page. Other pyicloud library did report the same - where basically 2FA enabled accounts only seem to be supported by them.

Currently I use a 2FA enabled account (like all new accounts) which is working fine, aside from the annoyance of needed to login again once-in-a-while…

Glenn

Posted on
Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:44 pm

That's the thing-- I AM using 2FA.

And yes, after I pressed "enter code" even though the code field was blank, FFM started working.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:08 pm
GlennNZ offline

Oh Ok!

Thats interesting - haven’t seen Trusted Device working before, but it is possible have missed it (normally I get code notifications - despite being a trusted Device)

I presume you don’t need code as Trusted Device? or are you using something else from authentication?

I’ll have a look at code and see if missed something - or can call that next steps unrelated to code entering.

Glenn

Posted on
Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:04 am

GlennNZ wrote:
Oh Ok!

Thats interesting - haven’t seen Trusted Device working before, but it is possible have missed it (normally I get code notifications - despite being a trusted Device)

I presume you don’t need code as Trusted Device?

Apparently not :)