Method to Control Remote App?

Posted on
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:15 am
ckeyes888 offline

Method to Control Remote App?

Hey,

I'd really like to get upgraded to 10.12, currently 10.8, to fix a few problems but it apparently causes one big
enough to keep me from doing it....controlling Chrome on a remote Mac.
For us the remote Mac is the centerpiece of our system displaying current conditions, cameras when need be, CID info etc.

Scripts like this worked fine in 10.8:
Code: Select all
tell application "Chrome" of machine "eppc://Display:xxx@192.168.1.90" to set URL of active tab of window 1 to "http://192.168.1.88:8176/controlpage?name=Display%20Front%20Camera&useJS=True"

Hoping someone has a Python conversion or another method entirely to control it.

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:51 am
howartp offline

Re: Method to Control Remote App?

I’ve not followed closely, but I think (?) I’m right that Applescripts that don’t target Indigo are ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:41 am
Different Computers offline

That is correct. Indigo can still, even in High Sierra, execute any script (that a Mac can run) that does not involve telling Indigo to do something directly in an AppleScript, or require AppleScript to get data from Indigo.

It's pretty simple to use the osascript command to execute applescripts in a shell script.

As for "other methods" I don't know what's being displayed, but take a look at the Dynamic Refreshing URL plugin, which lets you change what images are displayed in a control page.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:22 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Different Computers wrote:
As for "other methods" I don't know what's being displayed, but take a look at the Dynamic Refreshing URL plugin, which lets you change what images are displayed in a control page.

I wish it was that simple but what I need to have happen is the remote machine running Chrome to actually
load different control pages. I could never get all the info on one page and vary it using the dynamic URL
technique.

It seems amazing to me that scripted remote control of macs seems to have vanished.

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:24 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

ckeyes888 wrote:
It seems amazing to me that scripted remote control of macs seems to have vanished.

How do you mean? I don't know if my Mac Commander would be of any use to you in this regard but you could look it over and see.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:21 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Meaning I’ve searched everywhere and found no solution to controlling an app from a remote mac.

Edit: Awesome! Got your plugin to work. I assume it should work running 10.12?

Many thanks!,

Carl

Posted on
Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:07 am
ckeyes888 offline

Nuts. Went to 10.12 and the Mac Commander plugin no longer works.

Anyone using it with 10.12?

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:10 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

LOL, relax, I only have so much time and it's only been a day, I'll test Mac Commander on 10.12 soon.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:52 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Check the other thread, Mac Commander is working just fine under Sierra and High Sierra.

Check Them Out Here

Page 1 of 1