About Dark Sky (the weather part of Cynical Weather)

Posted on
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:41 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

About Dark Sky (the weather part of Cynical Weather)

As many of you probably have heard, the nice crew at darksky.net have been bought by Apple, which (in worst Apple tradition) told them to shut down their public service. This means that the weather features of Cynical Weather in their current form will stop working (last thing I heard, next year).

I'm looking into alternative sources of weather data. As you might suspect, they come in lame and expensive versions, and it's hard to find a sweet spot in between. It won't be a seamless, nothing-is-changing transition, because each weather service has slightly different ideas of how to report the weather. (Simple things like temperatures will be fine; it's stuff like how to report cloud cover that's idiosyncratic. And probabilities of things, like rain.)

If you use Cynical Weather, let me know whether you'd rather have the replacement (if any) be as similar as possible to the Dark Sky version, or you'd rather deal with fields changing to best represent the new weather source. I'll take your opinions under advisement. :-)

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:01 am
roquej offline

Re: About Dark Sky (the weather part of Cynical Weather)

One vote for changes that best represent the new weather source.

FYI: I use the plugin to calculate how and when to lower/raise blinds based on weather, cloud cover, and sun position. Works great.

JP

Posted on
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:03 am
jalves offline

I'd also vote for changes that represent the data presented in the new source.

For me, my needs are simple. I like to know the current temperature, forecasted high/low, cloud cover (used as a variable to open/close blinds), and precipitation forecast.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:08 am
Korey offline

I'd vote for changes that represent the data presented in the new source as well!

:D

--
Korey

Posted on
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:36 am
mundmc offline

My honest response is whatever keeps you actively supporting the plugin. All things being equal, i’d like current data structures (thankfully I am in between Indigo GUI deployments for my house, so nothing will be broken)

Page 1 of 1