Cynical Behavior Inactivity Watch

Posted on
Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:24 pm
Monstergerm offline

Cynical Behavior Inactivity Watch

I am using the WUnderground plugin and have setup several weather stations as "devices". Those weather stations often fail, i.e. they do stop reporting and I like Cynical Behavior to notify me about this.

The WU plugin shows under "Device Details: Last Update" ... the date when the plugin made the last request to this particular device. In other words this information is not useful to determine if the station is still alive. Therefore it looks like the Cynical Behavior Inactivity Watch is not reporting this station as inactive.

The WU plugin however has a custom state "Current Observation Time" for each weather station device, which no longer updates if the station is not reporting. How can I make Cynical Behavior monitor this date and then notify me?

Posted on
Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:40 pm
johnpolasek offline

Re: Cynical Behavior Inactivity Watch

You could use a variation of what I do for devices such as the leak sensors that send a "heartbeat" every day; put a trigger on any change of value in the sate with an action that issues a warning after a set delay AND cancels previous delayed actions from the same trigger. As long as the state value changes before the action occurs, the warning keeps getting pushed further into the future, but if the state stops changing and the delay expires, the action (text alert, turn on an insteon appliancelink on a plasma ball, put a value in a text variable posted to a control page, or whatever, has indigo speak "Check the weather station", or whatever) happens. I've got a 25 hour delay on the leak detectors since they only transmit once per day, but you could shorten that down to an hour or so on weather stations since those mostly update once per minute.

Page 1 of 1