Network to control LG C9 connecting but not controlling

Posted on
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:24 am
dtich offline

Network to control LG C9 connecting but not controlling

Using Network to control an LG C9 - IP control is enabled on TV, yes - and Wake On LAN, yes - still not working.

Plugin sees the TV, says connected. Transmitting basic controls, eg. INPUT_SELECT hdmi2, results in no error, and no control.

I have also tried command strings in the serial command format. no joy. and, have a 'key code' generated by the button press on the IP control page on the tv, and i've transmitted it. doesn't seem to do anything. does not wake from off with any command. i cannot figure out any setting that i haven't tweaked and tried with it. ...

anyone have any experience with this, any tips?

thanks!!

Posted on
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:58 pm
dtich offline

Re: Network to control LG C9 connecting but not controlling

No joy on direct IP so far... next I'm going to try using a GC IP2SL unit with a 9pin to 3.5mm plug to control using rs232 commands. It's on order. Anyone any experience with this?

Thx!

Posted on
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:39 pm
Korey offline

I use a GC IP2SL and Perrys plugin to control my Anthem D1 via RS232, works well.

Can you control the tv via Rs232 via a computer or such?

There was a plugin called simple serial that used a USB to RS232 adaptor that I used first to configure the commands.

Good old Joe (Flyingdiver) has a similar plugin that might help you.

Also found an old post with some rs232 info.

I found a copy of simple serial if you need..

--
Korey

Posted on
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:42 pm
dtich offline

thanks korey! yes i use a gc unit to control my classe very well, just don't know how this 3.5mm plug control will work on the LG. wondering about that.

thanks!

Posted on
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:18 am
rhanson offline

If you know python, you can write your own routines to send commands.

I use this library: https://github.com/supersaiyanmode/PyWebOSTV

You also need WakeOnLan (https://github.com/bentasker/Wake-On-Lan-Python) in order to send a magic packet to wake it up.

Posted on
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:33 am
dtich offline

thx rhanson, good find. wouldn't say i "know" python, lol, but this is helpful, thx!

Posted on
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:50 pm
dtich offline

dtich wrote:
No joy on direct IP so far... next I'm going to try using a GC IP2SL unit with a 9pin to 3.5mm plug to control using rs232 commands. It's on order. Anyone any experience with this?
Thx!

Update if anyone is following - GC unit with DSUB9-->3.5mm works great. (Needs to be crossover or null modem wired - I used a simple adapter connector for $5).

The commands then are very simple (eg. PWR ON = ka 01 01) and NOT in Hex as all paperwork would have you believe.

AND -- and this is great advantage over IP and USB -- it will wake from off without issue. No need for WOL or any of that.

Phew!! Solved. So.. happy.

Thanks for the contributions guys. Hopefully this info helps others. Beats IR control by a country mile. So fast and reliable. Ugh. Why did I wait so long to do it??? :D

Page 1 of 1