New Plugin: Announcements [ALPHA]

Posted on
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:53 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: New Plugin: Announcements [ALPHA]

superholz wrote:
Hi, I would like to try your plugin. Unfortunately after installing and while loading the plugin I get an error:

Sorry about that; completely my fault. pydevd is used to support debugging during development. I've improved the code around its use so it should work fine even if I forget to turn it off. Please download the latest build and you should be good to go.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:05 am
superholz offline

Hi, thanks a lot for the update!

I made it so far to create an announcement device and save a simple audio announcement.
When I hit the "speak announcement" button the announcement I can hear via the speaker. :D

:?: Simple question: How do I make indigo to play these announcement. I can't see an action item in the list of actions when I try to make a new trigger e.g.

I use the system audio and I have also an airfoil audio device. I guess I miss something about the concept of the plugin.

Posted on
Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:00 am
DaveL17 offline

Okay, good. You're well on your way. The plugin doesn't provide a means to speak the announcement beyond the test button that you've already used. Its purpose is solely to generate complex announcement strings to be used elsewhere.

You'll need to provide another means to have the announcement become part of your automation such as the Sonos plugin. Alternatively, you can create an Action Group item that uses a simple Python script to speak the announcement. Here is an example script that you will need to adapt slightly to fit your installation:

Code: Select all
dev = indigo.devices[1990702686]  # Replace 1990702686 with the Announcements device ID of your device
announcement = dev.states['Current_Datetime']  # Replace Current_Datetime with the name of your announcement
indigo.server.speak(announcement)

I'm knee-deep in another plugin at the moment, but I'll add an Action Group Item to speak the announcement to the list of possible enhancements for the next time I'm working on the code.

Posted on
Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:15 am
DaveL17 offline

Announcements Plugin Updated

v0.3.5
- Fixes bug in substitution generator.

v0.3.4
- Fixes pydevd import error.

You can download the latest version here.

Posted on
Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:09 am
superholz offline

DaveL17 wrote:
Okay, good. You're well on your way. The plugin doesn't provide a means to speak the announcement beyond the test button that you've already used. Its purpose is solely to generate complex announcement strings to be used elsewhere.

You'll need to provide another means to have the announcement become part of your automation such as the Sonos plugin. Alternatively, you can create an Action Group item that uses a simple Python script to speak the announcement. Here is an example script that you will need to adapt slightly to fit your installation:

Code: Select all
dev = indigo.devices[1990702686]  # Replace 1990702686 with the Announcements device ID of your device
announcement = dev.states['Current_Datetime']  # Replace Current_Datetime with the name of your announcement
indigo.server.speak(announcement)

I'm knee-deep in another plugin at the moment, but I'll add an Action Group Item to speak the announcement to the list of possible enhancements for the next time I'm working on the code.

Thanks a lot for the explanation and the example script. With that i was able to achieve what I wanted.

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:17 am
DaveL17 offline

The Announcements Plugin has been updated.

v0.3.6
- Implements plugin version update notification.
- Under-the-hood code enhancements.

You can download the latest version here.

Posted on
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:08 pm
DaveL17 offline

Now that the plugin has moved to beta, I'm going to go ahead and lock this topic. New posts should be added to the beta thread.