indilinq - an alternative mobile app & plugin for indigo

Posted on
Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:27 am
kw123 offline

Re: indilinq - an alternative mobile app & plugin for indigo

it looks as if it does not handle any non z-wave devices = switches/ thermostats ... gives an error when opening the device .. on the iPhone.

Posted on
Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:40 am
autolog offline

PegnioLtd wrote:
autolog wrote:
PegnioLtd wrote:
We made indilinq this way to ensure your privacy, security and that no information is collected or transmitted anywhere else apart from your Mac and your iPhone. It is your home, you should be 100% in control.

Without seeing the source code, there is no way to know that this is the case. :wink:

I would not install it on my system on this basis - my 2 cents worth. :)

We totally understand autolog and if there is any way to convince people that this is 100% true, we're open to suggestions, as not everyone will have the technical knowledge of going through the code of a plugin in Python and the mobile app in Swift.

Pegnio Ltd.

True but then the people who don't have the technical knowledge won't. The people that do, might want to check. In either case, knowing that it is open to scrutiny can only be a good thing.

I'll bow out at this juncture as I have registered my point and don't want to be awkward. :)

Posted on
Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:52 am
PegnioLtd offline

kw123 wrote:
it looks as if it does not handle any non z-wave devices = switches/ thermostats ... gives an error when opening the device .. on the iPhone.

Indeed kw123, at present indilinq supports only Z-Wave devices, as these have been devices we could test the plugin & app with, they are widely available and used in the UK where we are based.

We'd love to support more devices in the near future.

If you are able to provide device/sensor log output we will do our best to include in future releases.

Pegnio Ltd

Posted on
Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:55 am
PegnioLtd offline

CliveS wrote:
Downloaded again from your web page link (3 times) deleted the plugin 3 times and reloaded but still have load failure.
Not sure what service_identity error is all about.

Starting PuDB debugging of plugin indilinq.indigoPlugin.
To set breakpoints add indigo.debugger() calls and reload debugger.

:0: UserWarning: You do not have a working installation of the service_identity module: 'No module named service_identity'. Please install it from <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/service_identity> and make sure all of its dependencies are satisfied. Without the service_identity module and a recent enough pyOpenSSL to support it, Twisted can perform only rudimentary TLS client hostname verification. Many valid certificate/hostname mappings may be rejected.
Unhandled Error
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/indilinq.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/twisted/internet/base.py", line 417, in fireEvent
DeferredList(beforeResults).addCallback(self._continueFiring)
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/indilinq.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/twisted/internet/defer.py", line 317, in addCallback
callbackKeywords=kw)
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/indilinq.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/twisted/internet/defer.py", line 306, in addCallbacks
self._runCallbacks()
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/indilinq.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/twisted/internet/defer.py", line 649, in _runCallbacks
current.result = callback(current.result, *args, **kw)
--- <exception caught here> ---
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/indilinq.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/twisted/internet/base.py", line 430, in _continueFiring
callable(*args, **kwargs)
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/indilinq.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/twisted/internet/base.py", line 1190, in _reallyStartRunning
self._handleSignals()
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/indilinq.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/twisted/internet/posixbase.py", line 295, in _handleSignals
_SignalReactorMixin._handleSignals(self)
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/indilinq.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/twisted/internet/base.py", line 1156, in _handleSignals
signal.signal(signal.SIGTERM, self.sigTerm)
exceptions.ValueError: signal only works in main thread

CliveS

Sorry for the trouble you are facing CliveS and for helping us to resolve these, we know how annoying it can be when trying to install a new app and things don't go as planned!

What version of MacOS are you using? Usually OpenSSL has these modules installed but it will be useful to know if they are missing from some installation we could include the package to ensure errors don't happen like the ones you are facing.

Pegnio Ltd

Posted on
Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:33 am
roussell offline

autolog wrote:
PegnioLtd wrote:
We made indilinq this way to ensure your privacy, security and that no information is collected or transmitted anywhere else apart from your Mac and your iPhone. It is your home, you should be 100% in control.

Without seeing the source code, there is no way to know that this is the case. :wink:

I would not install it on my system on this basis - my 2 cents worth. :)

I have to agree. While I too respect the option to secure ones intellectual property, especially if the intent is to one day monetize the effort, I personally am not comfortable installing compiled software from an unknown source on the system that controls my house. Just who is "PegnioLtd"? Do you have a presence on the forums outside of this new username?

I have toyed with calling compiled libraries from python for some specialized functions, but can't understand why it's required in this instance. As an example I direct you toward the excellent Domopad application which uses plain ol' Python for it's plugin and I would put Adam's mobile application feature list up against anything.

I wish you the best of luck with your new venture, but I'm afraid I can't test or make much use of it, in it's current state.

Terry

Posted on
Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:40 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

PegnioLtd wrote:
Sorry for the trouble you are facing CliveS and for helping us to resolve these, we know how annoying it can be when trying to install a new app and things don't go as planned!

What version of MacOS are you using? Usually OpenSSL has these modules installed but it will be useful to know if they are missing from some installation we could include the package to ensure errors don't happen like the ones you are facing.

I suspect @CliveS has a different Python installed (probably via homebrew) that's interfering. I noticed earlier that he had a problem with the six library not being found. That's installed along with Apple's Python installations I believe which leads me to believe he's got a different python installed.

@CliveS, paste in the following lines into a terminal window and copy/paste the results into a code block in a reply:

Code: Select all
which python
python --version
pip list
ls -l /usr/bin/python
/usr/bin/python --version
ls -l /usr/local/Cellar

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:18 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I understand everyone's concern about security. A few comments:

• The developer has been an Indigo user for several years. While we can't code review any 3rd party solutions (we've not done so with any client including DomoPad and Home Remote), I don't believe there's any malicious intent. The developer is just trying to make sure that his client's communications with the plugin were secure.
  • The developer wasn't aware of the client API that DomoPad partly uses and which Indigo Touch uses, which includes the ability to run over the reflector in a secure way. We have given them the docs (today in fact) for that API and they may decide to just use that natively in their app - which would likely end their need for their own plugin. It is, however, a much more complex API and would most likely require a significant amount of work to refit their iOS app so that may not be an option for them.
  • There is at least one 3rd party plugin that includes a compiled library - this was a restriction placed by another party. One of our plugins has this same stipulation. Sometimes, the device/service we want to integrate requires this level of protection and without it the plugin wouldn't be possible. So there are some real world examples where compiled code is required.
  • Finally, at some point in the future we may make it easier for plugin developers to monetize their work. At that point you'll likely see more compiled plugins and everyone will have to make their own determination about whether to trust it or not.

Again, I totally understand the concern about installing non-source things into Indigo and the potential security risks involved. In this case, I don't believe that the risk is particularly high. And, really, when was the last time you dug through the code of all the 3rd party plugins you've installed to inspect for malicious intent? ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:23 pm
CliveS offline

Jay,

I suspect @CliveS has a different Python installed (probably via homebrew) that's interfering. I noticed earlier that he had a problem with the six library not being found. That's installed along with Apple's Python installations I believe which leads me to believe he's got a different python installed.

@CliveS, paste in the following lines into a terminal window and copy/paste the results into a code block in a reply:

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.9.5 (13F1911)
Kernel Version: Darwin 13.4.0
Boot Volume: Mavericks
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: Indigo’s MacBook Pro
User Name: Indigo (indigo)

Code: Select all

Last login: Thu Mar 16 14:52:11 on ttys000
Indigos-MacBook-Pro:~ indigo$ which python
/usr/bin/python
Indigos-MacBook-Pro:~ indigo$ python --version
Python 2.7.5
Indigos-MacBook-Pro:~ indigo$ pip list
DEPRECATION: The default format will switch to columns in the future. You can use --format=(legacy|columns) (or define a format=(legacy|columns) in your pip.conf under the [list] section) to disable this warning.
altgraph (0.10.1)
bdist-mpkg (0.4.4)
bonjour-py (0.3)
macholib (1.5)
matplotlib (1.1.1)
modulegraph (0.10.1)
numpy (1.6.2)
olefile (0.44)
Pillow (4.0.0)
pip (9.0.1)
py2app (0.7.1)
pyobjc-core (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-AddressBook (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-AppleScriptKit (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-AppleScriptObjC (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-Automator (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-CFNetwork (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-Cocoa (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-Collaboration (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-CoreData (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-CoreLocation (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-CoreText (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-DictionaryServices (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-ExceptionHandling (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-FSEvents (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-InputMethodKit (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-InstallerPlugins (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-InstantMessage (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-InterfaceBuilderKit (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-LatentSemanticMapping (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-LaunchServices (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-Message (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-OpenDirectory (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-PreferencePanes (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-PubSub (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-QTKit (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-Quartz (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-ScreenSaver (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-ScriptingBridge (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-SearchKit (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-ServiceManagement (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-SyncServices (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-SystemConfiguration (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-WebKit (2.3.2a0)
pyobjc-framework-XgridFoundation (2.3.2a0)
pyOpenSSL (0.13)
PyRSS2Gen (1.0.0)
python-dateutil (1.5)
pytz (2012d)
scipy (0.11.0)
setuptools (0.6c12dev-r88846)
Twisted (12.2.0)
xattr (0.6.4)
zope.interface (3.8.0)
Indigos-MacBook-Pro:~ indigo$ ls -l /usr/bin/python
-rwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  58608 21 Mar  2016 /usr/bin/python
Indigos-MacBook-Pro:~ indigo$ /usr/bin/python --version
Python 2.7.5
Indigos-MacBook-Pro:~ indigo$ ls -l /usr/local/Cellar
ls: /usr/local/Cellar: No such file or directory
Indigos-MacBook-Pro:~ indigo$

In usr/local I only have bin, lib and share, and hidden files are shown by default so no other directories.

CliveS

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:30 pm
RogueProeliator offline

The developer has been an Indigo user for several years. While we can't code review any 3rd party solutions (we've not done so with any client including DomoPad and Home Remote), I don't believe there's any malicious intent. The developer is just trying to make sure that his client's communications with the plugin were secure.

That was good of you to post that, Jay... I suspect what made many a bit extra cautious was the very low post count of the developer; in this day and age of spammers and scams, new offerings from "new" people are often viewed as suspect (e.g. eBay sellers). I realize you aren't really vouching for the application, but the validation of the developer as a real user should allow some to move forward with trying the application.

Adam

Posted on
Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:51 pm
kw123 offline

with Jay's statement, that settles the trust question for me.

looking forward to working with you guys. if you need any assistance / testing debugging, let me know ..

Karl

Posted on
Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:54 am
roussell offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
... I suspect what made many a bit extra cautious was the very low post count of the developer; in this day and age of spammers and scams, new offerings from "new" people are often viewed as suspect (e.g. eBay sellers)...

Adam

I think I'm an overly-suspicious person anyway, especially in my current role where I have to work with IT security and report to the Board of Directors of my company, it tends to make one a little paranoid. :shock: I did some cursory snooping, and as Jay mentioned he's been around a few years. I won't reveal anything since for some reason he is wishing to remain anonymous; not really sure why that it unless that's just his culture, but I would have imagined the app would have been more warmly-received if an "announcement" post of some sort would have come from his other, known account. We're a world-wide collection of individuals, but still a pretty "close group"; it's one of the great things about Indigo. With that being said, we do welcome the likes of Durosity with (semi) open arms, so this guy has to be ok too. :wink: :D

Unfortunately, I still can't help test, as I see it only supports Zwave device and I have a house full of Insteon. I do have a couple of technical questions to the developer though:

1) I see you've included several types of security libraries in your plugin; which encryption scheme and cypher length are you using, and do you generate the keys on first run or are they stored already in the plugin (in a compiled file)? IF they are pre-generated and your distributing the private key, you might want to switch to generating them on first run as you are essentially distributing the elements of a crack to your encryption routine with the plugin. My apologies if this is answered by simply installing the plugin - I didn't install it since it won't work with any of my devices - more of a curiosity from a IT SecOps guy.

2) You used Cython to do (some) the builds, how did you find it's ease of use? I've dabbled but remember running into a few issues with inspecting function objects, and overriding cdef functions inside of a python class. The compiled file sizes were larger too, which was presenting a problem on the VERY limited embedded hardware platform I was using (A custom SCADA system on a very large piece of industrial equipment in a foundry). My understanding at the time was that a small Python environment was embedded in the compiled file which accounted for the growth. This was many years ago (6 or more) so those many not be problems any longer, and I might not even be remembering them correctly. It was a strange situation where my customer ( a vendor to the foundry) required compiled or otherwise obfuscated code and my only choices were Python or Perl. I ended up just pushing the .pyc files on the device. A hugely bad idea, but since the code would only ever run on that specific piece of hardware on that specific equipment, it was pretty safe, and made the foundry's vendor (my customer) feel relatively safe.

Again, best of luck - I'll be waiting for increased device support!

Terry

Posted on
Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:58 am
Sharek326 offline

I installed this yesterday and really like it. I do have a few few likes and dislikes if you are looking for some feedback.

Likes -

Like the color scheme and Icon choices seems to fit well with Indigo
I like the alternatives to on off in some of the categories like Breached!
like the detailed look at each device.
Very responsive

Dislikes-

I wish you could add rooms and then assign the devices to the room.
It doesn't handle Aeon Labs Whole House Power Meter. When I load a clamp it just says Error
Can be cumbersum scrolling to the right for each room and having empty categories if you don't have something in that room like Lights or HVAC
Since it only does Zwave I can not add control of my Itachs and that removes Media Control. If I can't do it all in one app I can't use the app.

I really think you are on to something with this app and hope you push forward adding in functionality. Great Work!!!

Posted on
Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:00 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

CliveS wrote:
System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.9.5 (13F1911)
Kernel Version: Darwin 13.4.0
Boot Volume: Mavericks
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: Indigo’s MacBook Pro
User Name: Indigo (indigo)

Ah ha. So, apparently Apple didn't include the six and openssl libraries in OS X 10.9 (and probably earlier). I believe they're both present on 10.11 (I don't recall installing them nor do I think anything I installed would have installed them). In any event, it's good information. I'm hoping that someday we can do a better job of dependency checking and installing, but that's a long way off.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:06 am
Different Computers offline

While I think people running Sierra on their Indigo mac are in the minority, I thought I'd point out this from http://indilinq.com/plugin.html :
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 11.04.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 11.04.22 AM.png (28.91 KiB) Viewed 3979 times

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:09 am
Sharek326 offline

Runs fine on mine running 10.11.6