NuHeat plugin issues

Posted on
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:42 am
Archerpilot offline

NuHeat plugin issues

I've upgraded my NuHeat system to include the Signature thermostat. It's up and running well. However, when I tried to use the Indigo plugin, no luck. After installing the plugin and adding the type and model information, I couldn't go any further. Clicking on the Edit Device Settings opened up a small window. It didn't show the thermostat or allow me to add any additional information. Even the Read Me file wouldn't open. My computer thought it was a Moneydance financial file.

If you have some additional information, I'd be grateful to receive it.

Thanks!

/ap

Posted on
Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:54 pm
dduff617 offline

Re: NuHeat plugin issues

I realize I'm replying to a stale thread here...

Here's a summary of plugin status:

NuHeat Thermostat plugin has been mostly working for me for several years now. My NuHeat device reports settings and status and settings can be changed from Indigo.

I have previously noticed and reported that the plugin occasionally gets into a broken state. It is not clear exactly what causes it, but I notice it occasionally - roughly every month or two. In this state, it will spit a lot of error messages to the logs. I can recover from this state simply by doing a reload on the plugin.

Additionally, I have recently noticed another problem whereby it seems that my existing NuHeat devices that I've already set up are working, however it seems that when I go through process of setting up a thermostat, the plugin doesn't "see" any available thermostats and the pulldown menu where you would normally select one is empty. (looks like the same problem reported below by Archerpilot).

Finally, I can see that the Indigo Plugin Store shows this device as potentially EOL and not supported by the next Indigo version after 2022.2 - presumably due to it not being ported to Python 3?.

A quick check seems to indicate that the author (who has contributed some valuable plugins) hasn't been active on these forums for a while. The last visible code change I can see on GitHub is from late 2017.

So I definitely don't want to overstep, but I am curious if there are ideas about the future path of this plugin? Would the author perhaps like to open it up to someone else adopting it?

Posted on
Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:55 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: NuHeat plugin issues

dduff617 wrote:
Finally, I can see that the Indigo Plugin Store shows this device as potentially EOL and not supported by the next Indigo version after 2022.2 - presumably due to it not being ported to Python 3?

Correct.

Note that this plugin is on Github without a license, but it does contain compiled python 2 code without the source. So, while you could probably fork it and attempt an update, without the required source it won't work (the compiled code will not run in Python 3 - it's version specific). Feel free to contact the author there as well to see if he's willing to add the source and open it up for others to contribute to.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1