Is this plugin dead?

Posted on
Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:38 am
Japple55 offline

Is this plugin dead?

Looking for a doorbell/motion camera solution with quick response to integrate with Indigo. Unfortunately, running cable for POE/IP cameras is not a solution for me.

Currently, I'm using the Blink camera plugin but sometimes there's a considerable delay before Indigo gets the motion alert, so I added an Ecolink motion sensor to trigger the porch lights. This motion sensor, however, has incredible range and picks up traffic on the street. Finding a suitable mount location that limits the range is proving challenging. There are sensitivity settings for the large vs small pet detection, but the documentation doesn't mention if this will help limit range or not.

Therefore, a Ring doorbell is under consideration but I can't tell if there's and actively supported plugin. Last post for this one was in March 2021.

Ring users: is this plugin dead, and if so, how are you integrating the doorbell with Indigo? Any other brand doorbells work with Indigo?

Thanks,
Jim

Posted on
Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:57 am
ryanbuckner offline

Re: Is this plugin dead?

It hasn't been updated to Python3 as far as I know, but this plugin is running for me. I've also noticed a delay. My phone will immediately notify me on the app when someone rings by doorbell. It takes a few seconds before the plugin registers the same. For that reason I don't really utilize it for anything too real time (changing TV screen feeds, announcing in my house).

Posted on
Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:02 am
Japple55 offline

Thanks, ryanbuckner

Posted on
Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:46 am
pgershon offline

Any update on this? I am willing to do some work on the plugin if necessary. I am looking to turn on motion sensors on my ring cameras when the ELK alarm is armed, and turn off the motion sensors when the alarm is off. Basically dont want to be spying on people in my house when they are supposed to be there, but want to know if anyone there when they should not be. The ELK alarm plugin works great, but I need a way to activate and inactivate the ring motion sensors.

Posted on
Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:56 am
ryanbuckner offline

pgershon wrote:
Any update on this? I am willing to do some work on the plugin if necessary. I am looking to turn on motion sensors on my ring cameras when the ELK alarm is armed, and turn off the motion sensors when the alarm is off. Basically dont want to be spying on people in my house when they are supposed to be there, but want to know if anyone there when they should not be. The ELK alarm plugin works great, but I need a way to activate and inactivate the ring motion sensors.

I would check with Matt and Jay to see if anyone has taken ownership of this plugin to migrate to Python3. I know there are users out there who would welcome the upgrade.

I know there are also some potential challenges with Google's migration for these products as well.

Posted on
Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:58 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

There are a couple of problems with this plugin: 1) there is no "official" Ring API, so it's using some reverse-engineered code, 2) the original author didn't provide the source for that reverse-engineered code, only the compiled source (ring.pyc), so making any changes (for instance to update it to Python 3) would require getting the source (I've send the original dev an email, we'll see if he replies).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:07 am
pgershon offline

Thanks Jay. Did anyone that you know of look at the MQTT route? I already use Shelly MQTT and ShellyNG MQTT integrating with the MQTT Connector and MQTT Broker. And I see there is code available for Ring (https://github.com/tsightler/ring-mqtt). I know at one point I tried to get Mosquito working with ShellyNG but it became unnecessary before I succeeded. User Ramius mentioned the MQTT route in 2021 (I run ring-mqtt in a docker container, run mosquito in a separate docker, and use the mqtt connector and mqtt shims to get it working in indigo. ). This sounds earlier than creating a full plug-in using the Python code (https://python-ring-doorbell.readthedoc ... index.html).

Posted on
Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:56 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Not that I know of. I also think someone posted a link to a module on GitHub that might also work. It’s just going to take someone to drill down on what the options might be and then run with one.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:36 pm
pgershon offline

I will give it a look over the next few weeks. I might as well as I have the devices. I will focus on the MQTT side as the support and development on the Github site seems very active.

Page 1 of 1