Ring Plugin + 2-Factor Auth

Posted on
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:16 pm
wanagel offline

Ring Plugin + 2-Factor Auth

With 2-factor authentication on, the Ring plugin stops working. Is there any way to authenticate the Ring plugin with 2-factor auth? Given the sensitivity of the Ring data, I'd really like to be able to use 2FA if I can.

One thing I found interesting is that when I load the plugin with 2FA enabled, I get a text message with a 2FA code, so it seems like what I need is a way to input that code to the plugin so that it can authenticate.

Posted on
Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:19 am
howartp offline

Re: Ring Plugin + 2-Factor Auth

Usually when a service allows API access and 2FA, there is an option to create an app-specific password that the app using the API is allowed to use without 2FA but that can’t be logged in with directly.

No idea if/how Ring handles this if at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:34 pm
wanagel offline

I thought of that, too, but sadly couldn't find the feature anywhere in the Ring settings (app or webpage).

I did find a usable (but not great) workaround. If Ring plugin is running when 2FA is turned on, it keeps working. So, every time I restart Indigo or reload the plugin I will need to turn off 2FA temporarily, but outside of that it seems to keep working.

UPDATE: Looks like I was a little to quick to call it on the workaround. After about seven hours it did a reconnect and was locked out because of the 2FA. :(

Posted on
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:05 am
dduff617 offline

I turned on 2FA, initially failing to consider problems it would cause for the plugin. The plugin stopped working, not surprisingly.

I turned 2FA off again on my Ring account and after about a half hour of trying, the plugin still can't connect. I just keep getting repeated "Failed to get devices from Ring.com" messages. Have tried reloading plugin a few times.

Posted on
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:13 am
dduff617 offline

It looks to me like the timing of the failure with my experimenting with 2FA may have been coincidental and the problem that I'm seeing now (and the plugin not working) is actually related to the issue reported here in the thread "New Account - not working".

Here's hoping we get a fix for this soon.

Posted on
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:22 am
marketability offline

having the same issue - fingers crossed for a fix

Posted on
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:36 pm
peter offline

How do I enter the verification code from Ring into the Ring configuration menu? There doesn't seem to be an input for it and I have to disable the plugin to prevent endless error messages in my event log. Thanks. Peter

Posted on
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:44 pm
Jppaynesr offline

On the plugin configuration page, enter your email & password. That will cause Ring to send you a one time code to the registered email address. Enter the code within 10 minutes.
However, after doing that, you may still get errors. I am anyway.

Posted on
Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:49 am
wbresee offline

Where do you enter the code? I see no field and there is no prompt from the plugin.

Posted on
Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:50 pm
ryanbuckner offline

wbresee wrote:
Where do you enter the code? I see no field and there is no prompt from the plugin.

Config is designed to prompt you for a verification code when you hit Save. This is denoted on the Config Menu but it's written in grey on a grey background and it's hard to see.

2FA.png
2FA.png (46.33 KiB) Viewed 1247 times

Page 1 of 1