Ring Doorbell Plugin

Posted on
Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:21 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Ring Doorbell Plugin

Woetjes wrote:
Any idea? (I have the Cloud Recording Subscription)

Try editing the device. Just open the dialog with the device specifics and then save it again. That will usually create the missing state.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:25 am
Woetjes offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
Woetjes wrote:

Try editing the device. Just open the dialog with the device specifics and then save it again. That will usually create the missing state.

Already tried that - also reloaded the plugin, no luck :(

Posted on
Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:22 pm
ryanbuckner online

Getting this error without cloud service. Can you have it insert a NULL if not found?
Code: Select all
   Ring Doorbell Error             [Mon Jan  2 13:02:12 2017] No value found for device: Front Doorbell, field: recordingUrl

Posted on
Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:49 pm
mpoulson offline

Woetjes wrote:
FlyingDiver wrote:
Woetjes wrote:

Already tried that - also reloaded the plugin, no luck :(

Based on my telemetry is looks like you may be based in Sweden. I don't know if there is a difference in the video/recording options for EU. If you are willing would you be willing to share your username/password for ring so I can debug? If so please change things to be something generic and PM me with them.

I will add some error checking to make sure the error does not blow up your log.

Posted on
Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:03 am
Woetjes offline

Hmm... I don't like to give my credentials but I'm happy to assist in debugging network activities if you want...

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:44 am
Gusten offline

Hi
I just set up my Doorbell PRO, i also live in Sweden and my recording URL is working
I don't have signed up for it i am on the 30day.

Just thought you like to know

/Martin

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:56 am
Woetjes offline

Woetjes wrote:
mpoulson wrote:
I have pushed version 0.1.10 that now adds a new device value called 'recordingUrl' This is the URL for the Video Recording of the most recent event. This requires a Cloud Recording subscription.

The recordingUrl value remains empty here and it's generating an error message when running a script that includes the ring device:
Code: Select all
"Ring Doorbell Error             [Mon Jan  2 14:44:06 2017] No value found for device: Buiten: Voordeur - Deurbel, field: recordingUrl"

Removed my Ring device, reloaded the plugin and created it again, now the recordingUrl gets a value.
Btw - version 0.1.11 of the plugin has been released for those that didn't see it ;)

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:02 pm
mpoulson offline

I have a feeling it is because Ring treats non-US users different than US users.

Given I reverse engineered their protocol to figure out what to do I won't be able to debug the Recording issue without some magic.

I believe I need to not only have an account from an EU state but I also need to originate my traffic in the EU. I will be setting up a proxy server on my Azure account this weekend to solve part of the problem. But I may give up if I don't get good results after a short period of time.  

Posted on
Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:21 am
durosity offline

If you still need some I'd be happy to share my EU account details temporarily. Just PM me if you want them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:05 pm
whmoorejr offline

Did you or has anyone received or posted their official API? I couldn't find it anywhere and I applied to receive it.... still waiting.... https://ring.com/partners

Does the plugin get notifications through the ring account or directly from the device? If it's from the account, is there any lag time (Device -> Ring Account -> Plugin) vs (Device -> Plugin)

I haven't gotten a Ring device due to the lack of an available API to use it with the rest of my cameras on control pages and whatnot. Was leaning towards the doorbird camera (a little pricier, but open API)

But now I'm leaning back toward RING because of their Ring Neighborhoods beta program and our local law enforcement may be supporting it soon too.

To summarize:
Did you get the actual API or was it all reverse engineered?
If I can convince them to give me a copy, want it?
Pulling still images from the camera would be great for control pages or for capturing and putting into text messages, emails, etc.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:52 am
autolog offline

Hi Mike,
Just wanted to say a big thanks for this plugin. :D

I installed my new Ring Doorbell today and hooked it up to Indigo.
On initial testing the Indigo trigger response seems almost instant (within a couple of seconds) when the doorbell is pressed.
Indigo uses the trigger to announce there is someone at the front door and also (via a Fibaro relay) rings the internal doorbell.

Thanks again - your efforts are much appreciated. :D

Posted on
Sat May 27, 2017 4:07 pm
spiv offline

For those still undecided between Ring and DoorBird...

I just got a DoorBird up on my test bench and the integration options really blow everything else out of the water.

With DoorBird, you can open a browser window (locally on the same LAN) and instantly pull a continuous video feed with options for notifications and toggle the night vision IR on or off.

I was also able to integrate it with SecuritySpy, the Mac based NVR (network video recorder). DoorBird is ONVIF compatible (ONVIF is a standard for IP Cameras) so I was able to configure it quickly without having to search for cryptic URL strings RTP versus MJPEG settings, etc.

There is a plug-in for indigo that works with SecuritySpy. For those not yet using IP cameras or SecuritySpy, the key thing is that the DoorBird looks like any other IP Camera to SecuritySpy (or any ONVIF compatible NVR). Ring, and most every other video doorbell does not provide continous video access, only snapshots or limited viewing after the doorbell button has been pushed.

This also means that with SecuritySpy you have your own capability to setup recording based on continuous, motion triggers, schedules, etc. of either full video or image snapshots. So you aren't locked in to a proprietary monthly fee and cloud service.

That is a huge $$ savings which makes the higher price of the DoorBird a one-off investment that will pay off in 6 months or less under most situations.

The DoorBird iOS/Android apps are ok, pretty simple but not really polished. They do the job. If you want an Apple or Nest-style uber beautiful app and product, then DoorBird is probably not a good choice. But if want an integration friendly system that lets you "get at" all the functionality and use it in creative ways, along with getting a very good IPCamera by itself, then DoorBird is a great choice.

They also claim to do a lot of bandwidth optimization so the data rates are lower than other products - an important consideration if using over WiFi and / or remote access.

Posted on
Sun May 28, 2017 6:49 am
Coolcaper offline

Thanks spiv, for a comparison on the available options in regards to indigo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun May 28, 2017 8:03 am
durosity offline

It's just a shame it's so large and quite ugly. I'd love them to make one that's more the size of the ring pro.. perhaps have a separate box it connects to elsewhere that has all the wires and network hookups and stuff. Plus that'd be more secure for the close contact options for opening doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:20 pm
kelmk offline

Agreed. I love the features of the doorbird but I would never stick that thing on my house.
The ring pro looks like something out of 2001 and the doorbird is from cold war russia.