Sudden Onset Prowl Error Code from Indigo 6

Posted on
Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:58 pm
Catoctin offline

Sudden Onset Prowl Error Code from Indigo 6

Hi :D ,

Thank you for any help. I am deeply appreciative of the quality of the Indigo product and dedicated support and sharing I have seen in evidence for years! :)

I am a somewhat experienced Indigo user (and LONG term Mac user) running 6.1.11 on an older dedicated Cocoa MaBook Pro 17". Indigo runs fantastically and I have had few problems with it, including with the Prowl interface. Without having made any significant perceived changes in Indigo, the Prowl notifications stopped working coming out of Indigo in the last 1-2 days. I receive the following error code 8 in the Event Log:

Prowl Debug notify: priority=1&application=Indigo&apikey=11da399e0438cdf90d78a6b07655316c20302a70&event=&description=Back+Porch+Motion
Prowl Error [Errno 8] _ssl.c:480: EOF occurred in violation of protocol

The problem seems to be in Indigo, as I can still use the Prowl web site to send messages to my phone (and iPad). The most puzzling part to me is that I don't think that I made any significant changes in Indigo to trigger this problem. I have been slowly adding and changing Insteon modules, and adding some timers, etc., but nothing that I can see as connected with an SSL (?) problem.

Thank you for any help!

Posted on
Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:21 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Sudden Onset Prowl Error Code from Indigo 6

This is definitely an error being thrown by the plugin (not Indigo), though it looks like the underlying problem may be a change to the prowl API. No idea how to fix it however, the developer will need to jump in.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:20 pm
Catoctin offline

Thank you for the rapid reply! As I mentioned, I have been very impressed with Indigo for years. I have used Macs intensively since they first came out, and I believe Indigo is one of the best applications ever written for it. When using Indigo, I have repeatedly seen how intricate details have been attended to —such as the manner in which the event log RFXcom messages helped me pick up transmissions I didn't even know I could get. When I watch how you and others support it and address the varied and arcane (aka beyond super-geeky! :D ) questions, I realize that in addition to being a hopefully good business, it must have been—at least much of the time—a labor of love.

Hopefully the Prowl developers will have some information for us. I would imagine that others may well be affected. If I can get my work to buy me a new computer, than this newer Mac will become the Indigo server, and I will upgrade to Indigo 7. If many others don't complain, then I will presume that whatever happened to Prowl was limited to the older plug-in. I have also appreciated your generous support of older Macs dedicated to Indigo for people like myself—a financially sensitive stance to take!

Thank you very much,

Catoctin (Bill Convey) :D

Posted on
Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:36 am
Catoctin offline

Prowl started working again as suddenly as it stopped. To my limited understanding, it almost certainly had to be a problem on the Prowl side.

:D :D :D

Posted on
Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:45 pm
jheddings offline

Sorry for getting back to this so late... It looks like the issue you were having went away from your previous comment. Have you had any trouble since?

Note that newer versions of the plugin will only be supported in Indigo 7 going forward.

Page 1 of 1