Enphase Envoy-S Solar Power Plugin (with Panel Monitoring)

Posted on
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:46 am
roquej offline

Re: Enphase Envoy-S Solar Power Plugin (with Panel Monitorin

Have power-reset my Envoy-S, twice. However, I am still getting the following error:

Enphase Envoy Plugin Error connecting to Device:Enphase Solar

This has been happening for several weeks now

Any other suggestions?

JP

Posted on
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:17 pm
GlennNZ offline

Okay,

I am guessing that the above, not seen by others error has gone?
& we are back to a failure to connect happening occasionally?
Both of which likely reflect network/connection factors.

Presumably in between times everything is working?

The error is referring to a failure of a requests connection to the IP address of the setup enphase client. It has a massive 25 sec timeout.

Essentially it’s a very basic low level failure to connect to the device. A web browser, eg safari would have the same problem.

It may be a factor of connection to network, it may be other network factors (Wifi, strength, distance usual things).

Additionally the enphase-device web-browser does not like multiple communications with it. So if you have other things running, checking this enphase device the combination may increase the frequency of this connection error.

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by GlennNZ on Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:08 pm
roquej offline

Ok - I reset the switch that the Envoy-S used and changed the ethernet cable.

The error seems to have resolved. Let's see how it goes.

Thank you for the advice.

JP

Posted on
Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:33 pm
roquej offline

GlennNZ wrote:
Okay,

The error is referring to a failure of a requests connection to the IP address of the setup enphase client. It has a massive 25 sec timeout.

Essentially it’s a very basic low level failure to connect to the device. A web browser, eg safari would have the same problem.

It may be a factor of connection to network, it may be other network factors (Wifi, strength, distance usual things).

Additionally the enphase-device web-browser does not like multiple communications with it. So if you have other things running, checking this enphase device the combination may increase the frequency of this connection error.

Glenn

Glenn,

I have gone crazy trying to find the root cause of this issue without success. The errors are disrupting solar power data, using Grafana, used to track the efficiency of the system.

To recap, I am getting this error dozens of times per day:

Enphase Envoy Plugin Error connecting to Device:Enphase Solar Error is:HTTPConnectionPool(host='192.168.X.X', port=80): Max retries exceeded with url: /production.json (Caused by NewConnectionError('<requests.packages.urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x10a402c10>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 51] Network is unreachable',))

All I can tell you is not my network. Why?

- Internet service: 1 GB Comcast business Internet (I work from home)
- Network equipment: All Unifi (UDM Pro router with rack mounted Unifi switches on a 1 GB backbone)
- No outbound firewall rules (getting 930+MB Internet throughput, with 9 ms ping latency, using different measurement tools, from the Indigo Mac Mini)
- Enphase is connected via CAT 6 cable directly into the same switch as the Mac Mini
- The problem only started with Indigo version 2021.1 and nothing changed with 2021.1.1. Indigo version 7.5 didn’t have this issue on the same equipment and internet service
- Nothing else is connected to the Enphase Envoy
- Running Indigo on Mac Mini 2014, CPU usage less than 25%

Therefore, the only conclusion, after eliminating all other possibilities, is that it must plugin related.

Makes sense?

JP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:24 pm
aldera offline

roquej wrote:

I have gone crazy trying to find the root cause of this issue without success. The errors are disrupting solar power data, using Grafana, used to track the efficiency of the system.

Enphase Envoy Plugin Error connecting to Device:Enphase Solar Error is:HTTPConnectionPool(host='192.168.X.X', port=80): Max retries exceeded with url: /production.json (Caused by NewConnectionError('<requests.packages.urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x10a402c10>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 51] Network is unreachable',))

Just a thought. If you still have your Indigo 7.5 setup on your computer, try shutting down your 2021.1.1 version and run your 7.5 version and see if the problem goes away. I know you said nothing changed from when you switched over but sometimes something little that you didn't think of might be the culprit. This test should eliminate any doubt. Just a suggestion. Hope you get it figured out.

Ralph

Posted on
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:40 pm
roquej offline

Thank you for the suggestion, but I don’t have it installed anymore.

Posted on
Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:11 pm
GlennNZ offline

roquej wrote:
GlennNZ wrote:
Okay,

Glenn

Glenn,

All I can tell you is not my network. Why?

- Internet service: 1 GB Comcast business Internet (I work from home)
- Network equipment: All Unifi (UDM Pro router with rack mounted Unifi switches on a 1 GB backbone)
- No outbound firewall rules (getting 930+MB Internet throughput, with 9 ms ping latency, using different measurement tools, from the Indigo Mac Mini)
- Enphase is connected via CAT 6 cable directly into the same switch as the Mac Mini
- The problem only started with Indigo version 2021.1 and nothing changed with 2021.1.1. Indigo version 7.5 didn’t have this issue on the same equipment and internet service
- Nothing else is connected to the Enphase Envoy
- Running Indigo on Mac Mini 2014, CPU usage less than 25%

Therefore, the only conclusion, after eliminating all other possibilities, is that it must plugin related.

Makes sense?

JP

Hi

I have been as clear as possible in that last post you have quoted. Further to that the plugin code hasn’t changed in more than a year

The ‘error’ is the failure to get production.json page from your emphase device, literally requesting a webpage from it. There is no traffic outside your network. This would fail with internet explorer, chrome or the requests python module that is used. Whilst the plugin is the one requesting the page the other options would also fail - and you are welcome to check that in chrome etc when having these issues, by requesting the same page
“http://192.168.X.X/production.json”. Obviously change your X’s. It will fail - hopefully illustrating that difficult for the plugin to fix/control.

Other than the above - running multiple copies of something requesting this page or other data from the the enphase device (which is a fairly crappy Low powered module that can’t deal with much traffic) would cause it to time out. Eg, if you have other devices ‘hammering’ the enphase then that would cause issues. If you had 2 copies of indigo running for example. I would see how 7.5 —> 2021.1.1 would make any difference.

I check the code when I can - but if have a extra old, or accident enphase indigo plugin device or 2 might double the data request. A possible solution is to slow down the frequency of request to enphase device and can look at a plugin option to user select a slow-down.

Glenn

Posted on
Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:37 pm
mclass offline

I’ve been using this plugin in two separate installations without issue since its release. Just upgraded one of the systems to 2021.1.1 and it’s humming (still!). Concur with Glenn that it must be a network or envoy issue.

As a thought, you could set up the Ghost XML plugin to see if this also has issues?

Posted on
Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:56 pm
roquej offline

I am 100% certain is not the network, based on the performance and latency details I provided. Envoy issues, that is possible. although I called Enphase support and they couldn’t find an issue with it.

Also, not multiple instance of the plugin. Just one instance of Indigo, that is also 100% certain.

Been using the production.json in the browser and not failing yet, but will keep trying to see if I can make it fail.

Thank you for checking deeper at the plugin code and considering allowing for the the reduction of the frequency.

JP

Posted on
Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:57 pm
GlennNZ offline

When the failure happens - the explorer will as well.

Check for multiple enphase plugin devices - easy to have an extra main device or two. That would double the traffic.

& no other devices, scripts etc communicating with enphase?

Glenn

Posted on
Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:59 pm
roquej offline

I just remembered a difference in my configuration from 7.5. With 2021.1, I started tracking individual panel devices, of which I have 32.

Could that have caused the problem?

JP

Posted on
Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:01 pm
GlennNZ offline

Possibility; the panel devices - do request data but do so quite infrequently, and the frequency is working for everyone else.

Would check for main devices or legacy devices; those are the main more frequent data users.

Glenn

Posted on
Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:25 pm
GlennNZ offline

roquej wrote:
I just remembered a difference in my configuration from 7.5. With 2021.1, I started tracking individual panel devices, of which I have 32.

Could that have caused the problem?

JP

If you turn debug logging on within the plugin config. And let it run for a bit. Then PM me the plugin.log found in the Event logs folder, in the Enphase directory. (Click the events log folder button top of the log window in indigo and find the enphase directory)

That will answer the question as to whether the plugin is doing the hammering of the enphase device leading to this issue. Still would check number of plugin enphase devices and legacy devices you have created - perhaps created one in another folder? etc - but the log will let me troubleshoot this)

Also: Can try, new version…

https://github.com/Ghawken/IndigoEnphaseEnvoy

Download and install from github above.

Changes the timing of requests - think it should be okay, basically only does one at a time regardless. Slightly slower to get panel data only at startup - but once up and 5 minutes in shouldn’t notice any major difference.

Glenn

Posted on
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:40 pm
roquej offline

Glenn,

Tried the new version and the same error. However, trying to find the root-cause, I removed the individual panel devices, 32 of them, and no error since last night.

Therefore, it seem that the panel devices causes the time out.

Let me know what could I do to help you debug. If you want me to recreate the devices, I can and then run the debug, as you suggested.

Thank you,

JP

Posted on
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:45 pm
GlennNZ offline

Yes
The debug log would be the main aspect - but it may not be the plug-in. It’s just that your device/system isn’t dealing with the requests of emphases device.

I have 50 panels and have no timeout issues and my emphases device is connected via wifi with relatively dodgy speed.

I can look at slowing down the panel data just for you - currently it’s every 300 seconds, but can’t imagine that would lead to a timeout issue if nothing else is happening with the enphase. Increasing it to 500 etc - wouldn’t have thought would make a difference. But the debug log will help in that regard.

I still would wonder whether something else is talking to the enphase from your network. Network analyser -
The shark one - will let you check network traffic to and from the enphase IP address

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by GlennNZ on Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Page 8 of 11 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11