Phidgets Plugin Discussion

Posted on
Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:39 pm
berkinet offline

Re: Phidgets Plugin

Version 0.2.1 of the Phidgets plugin should support USB. The option is available when you create the InterfaceKit device. The plugin is available on dropbox.

Posted on
Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:20 pm
ckeyes888 offline

I'd like to set up a light sensor using a 2/2/2 interface. Just to confirm that interface
should work with the plugin?

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:27 pm
berkinet offline

Yes. The 2/2/2 has been tested and works with the plugin. The 1127 Precision light sensor also works. I have not yet added support for the new 1142 - Light Sensor 1000 lux and 1143_0 - Light Sensor 70,000 lux. However, those are fairly simple Phidgets and I will add them in the next day or so.

EDIT: The new light sensors require custom configuration based on calibration values found on a label on the underside of the sensor. This will require some plugin interface changes and may take a little time. In the meantime, I can add the sensors with generalized values which will give a rough approximation.

Posted on
Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:42 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Cool, thanks a bunch. Light sensing is something I never got around to setting up.

Carl

Posted on
Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:05 pm
screen offline

Thanks for the new download link. I'm now able to populate the Ifkit details in the configuration dialogs and completely setup the two devices. All the plugin properties look good but once configured I did not seeing any communication happening or device states changing.

I did notice that with debug level none there is still debugging happening when pressing the settings button of a phidgets device:

Code: Select all
 Phidgets Debug                  ConfigUI XML Received typeId:ifKit, devId:717919293
  Phidgets Debug                  XML:<ConfigUI>
  Phidgets Debug                  ConfigUI XML Received typeId:phIfKitSensor, devId:1776229360
  Phidgets Debug                  XML:<ConfigUI>

After turning on intense debugging and restarting the plugin I finally saw some communication happening. Thanks!

Posted on
Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:10 pm
ckeyes888 offline

I assume I need to install the OSX driver but is the phidgets21.jar necessary?

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:36 pm
berkinet offline

ckeyes888 wrote:
I assume I need to install the OSX driver but is the phidgets21.jar necessary?

Thanks,

Carl

You should just run the installer and install everything. Then, turn on the web service from the Phidgets control pane. Then, when you configure the plugin, connect via IP to the local host 127.0.0.1

Posted on
Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:14 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Thanks. New to this obviously, but am curious what the USB/serial connection
the interface seems to use has to do with an IP address?

Carl

Posted on
Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:22 pm
berkinet offline

ckeyes888 wrote:
...[I] am curious what the USB/serial connection
the interface seems to use has to do with an IP address?

Fair question. The Phidget 2/2/2 Interface Kit (ifkit) is a USB device. However, the if kit only supports oneUSB connection at a time. So, if you had the Phidgets Plugin talking to the if kit, you could not also run the System Preferences, Phidgets Control pane to manage the device.

However, if you run the Phidgets web service (more-or-less like ser2sock) then you can have multiple connections to the web service and it manages the physical USB connection. One thing to remember, when you use the Phidgets control pane you need to access your Phidgets under the Bonjour tab, not the General tab.

A nice benefit of this architecture is that you can connect your ifkit to a remote computer and still access the Phidgets just the same as if they were local. BTW, Phidgets also sells the SBC (Single Board Computer) which is essentially an 8/8/8 controller and a miniature Linux server in one package that you just connect to your network. A remote Mac with a local ifkit is roughly equal to the SBC.

Still have questions?

Posted on
Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:10 pm
ckeyes888 offline

I have the light sensor and 2/2/2 on order, hope to have it soon to get hooked up.
Thanks for the info. Nice to know I could have it connected to a remote machine as well.

So far I'm confused, as usual, but once I get into it I'm sure it will all click.

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:58 pm
loafbread offline

This looks very exciting. Before I spend a few hundred dollars though, I have a question to make sure I understand. I plan to buy the SBC 1072_0 that includes the 8/8/8 and add a 1017_1 0/0/8 USB relay interface board. Will your plugin support the SBC builtin IO with the added USB IO board? I am only going to use digital Ins and digital Outs.

Thanks

Posted on
Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:14 pm
berkinet offline

loafbread wrote:
...Will your plugin support the SBC builtin IO with the added USB IO board? I am only going to use digital Ins and digital Outs...

The SBC board and the onboard 8/8/8controller are supported. At this time the 1017 8 relay board is not supported, mostly because I do not have one. However, I do have the 1014 0/0/4 board and it is basically the same thing. Also, adding support is not very hard - Phidgets provide the basic Python code. I will contact the Phidgets people to see if they can loan me a 1017. I can also do a best guess based on the 1017 if you are willing to do some testing.

Posted on
Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:21 pm
loafbread offline

Yes, I can do some testing.
Thanks

Posted on
Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:27 pm
berkinet offline

Great. BTW, I am not sure of your specific needs. But, if you only need a few relays and are not using all 8 digital-outputs, you can drive the 3051 dual relay board directly from the 8/8/8 (same for the 3052/3053 SSR boards). This is currently supported.

Posted on
Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:28 am
loafbread offline

I have looked at the 3051 and the SSR relays. Initially, I am replacing the functionality of an EZIO8T. It controlled three garage doors and 4 24VAC lawn sprinkler zones before it failed. This wiring is in the garage. I also have a wiring closet inside the house that has two EZIO6Ts that are full of digital inputs. I also have a Modbus TCP device with 6 inputs. I am hoping to remote the 1017 relay board via USB on Cat 5e and place the SBC in the house wiring closet, about 50 ft away. If remoting the USB does not work, I will place the SBC and 1017 in the garage or extend the garage wiring to the house wiring closet. I like the looks of the 1017 because it is a single unit instead of 4 dual relay boards and it has the possibility of remoting via USB. As the EZIO6s fail, which I am sure they will, I hope to move those DIs to the SBC. Of course, if I have to, I could buy two SBCs.

As you can see, I am quite busy debating myself. Primarily I want the solution to work with Indigo, hence my reliance on your plugin. I don't mind experimenting for a few weeks but if you think there is low probability of the 1017 working with your plugin, that will tilt me towards the 3051 relays. I will order something Thursday night and my debate will be over :)

UPDATE: Ordered SBC 1072_0 and 0/0/8 USB Relay 1017_1