Phidgets Plugin Discussion

Posted on
Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:30 am
4billl offline

Re: Phidgets Plugin Discussion

I replaced the one failed 1073 SBC and re-enabled all the rest of the SBC's. Things are back to normal again.

But along the way, I had loaded the latest Phidgets plugin release v0.6.5 from your download page and noticed neither my 4-line LCD nor circular touch sensor worked properly.
So I reloaded v0.6.6h that we were testing a year ago.
Now the LCD display & Touch sensor are working properly.

BTW - I am using the Phidgets 1019 as there is a 6-USB hub on the SBC. Is that the best kit model section for the 1073 SBC?

Posted on
Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:05 am
berkinet offline

4billl wrote:
I replaced the one failed 1073 SBC and re-enabled all the rest of the SBC's. Things are back to normal again.

But along the way, I had loaded the latest Phidgets plugin release v0.6.5 from your download page and noticed neither my 4-line LCD nor circular touch sensor worked properly.
So I reloaded v0.6.6h that we were testing a year ago.
Now the LCD display & Touch sensor are working properly.

BTW - I am using the Phidgets 1019 as there is a 6-USB hub on the SBC. Is that the best kit model section for the 1073 SBC?

#1... There is a bug (poor design :roll: ) in the plugin which can cause some of the problems reported recently. If a directly connected Phidget - local or remote - (I.e. not a sensor connected to an IfKit) cannot be attached at the time the plugin is loaded, all other devices following that will also not load. The "fix" is to turn off communications to any direct connected devices that are not responding.

#2... I am not sure why v0.6.5 broke the LCD. I will look at the two versions and see what the difference is.

#3... for the SBC (1071, 1072 & 1073) either use the 1018 or 1072 model. They are identical. Do not confuse the 6 port USB hub with the built-in InterfaceKit, which is what you are actually interfacing to.

Posted on
Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:18 am
midd offline

so my new phidgets board is no longer working as well. Same as my old one, no longer appearing on the preference pane. I'm not sure if its the storms that have been coming through. We had the power blink on us a few times. The last date shown in the Phidgets window is July 8. A nasty storm blew through. I did have to power both back on.
Last edited by midd on Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indigo 7, Monterey (12.1) on a 2009 Mac Pro..

Posted on
Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:21 am
berkinet offline

midd wrote:
so my new phidgets board is no longer working as well. Same as my old one, no longer appearing on the preference pane.

If you have the Phidgets "Web-Service" running and you do not see the InterfaceKit in the Bonjour tab of the Phidgets Preference pane, you need to call Phidgets tech support. The plugin uses the same interface, so, if the preference pane is not showing the device, the plugin will also be unable to see it.

Posted on
Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:43 am
midd offline

It's not showing in general tab as well as the Bonjour tab. I'll call them today.

Posted on
Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:32 am
midd offline

The people from Phidgets said they would look at the log I sent them. Yesterday I downgraded the OS X for my Mac mini running Indigo. I went from Yosemite to Mountain Lion. After plugging everything back in, I noticed that my Phidgets board has reappeared!

I don't know if it's a coincidence but while I was backing up and reinstalling, I was out back and did find a cable to one of the sensors had been cut. I repaired and wrapped it.

I think one of my Vegetronix sensors has bitten the dust because I can't get a reading.

Posted on
Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:23 am
berkinet offline

midd wrote:
The people from Phidgets said they would look at the log I sent them. Yesterday I downgraded the OS X for my Mac mini running Indigo. I went from Yosemite to Mountain Lion. After plugging everything back in, I noticed that my Phidgets board has reappeared!

I don't know if it's a coincidence but while I was backing up and reinstalling, I was out back and did find a cable to one of the sensors had been cut. I repaired and wrapped it.

I think one of my Vegetronix sensors has bitten the dust because I can't get a reading.

The OS version shouldn't affect the Phidgets drivers - perhaps there is some interaction between the Phidgets drivers and something else that is impacted by the OS.
I assume Phidgets support had you check all the version numbers on their software, etc. Also, I don't see how a sensor problem would impact the visibility of an InterfaceKit... though it is always possible. though not likely, the input was swinging around wildly and just overwhelmed the IfKit. Anyway, please keep us posted as to your progress resolving this issue.

And.. how has your overall experience with the Vegetronix sensors been? I have been thinking of doing something like that myself.

Posted on
Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:48 am
midd offline

Brian from Phidgets has been busy. I sent him a copy of my Indigo log but he couldn't tell if there was a problem or not. I need to run the log from the board itself.

I plugged in my original board (that had crapped out on me) into Mountain Lion. Nothing there in the preference pane. All I can assume is that it was a combination of things that caused the original board to die. No idea what's going on with the 2nd one that has risen from the dead.

I'm liking the Vegetronix sensors. With the formula I am using, when my sensors give a 6 reading I should water. I try and move them around to different places in yard after each mowing. Some areas of my yard dry out faster than others. Now that the one sensor has died, I plan on reapplying some silicone to where the company originally put some where the cable comes from. I noticed that there is a space on the one that died and perhaps water got inside.

I'm also liking the Davis Rain Gauge connected to the board. An overall better experience than the wireless Oregon Scientific gauge I used to have.

Can't thank you enough for the plugin and the support!

berkinet wrote:
midd wrote:

The OS version shouldn't affect the Phidgets drivers - perhaps there is some interaction between the Phidgets drivers and something else that is impacted by the OS.
I assume Phidgets support had you check all the version numbers on their software, etc. Also, I don't see how a sensor problem would impact the visibility of an InterfaceKit... though it is always possible. though not likely, the input was swinging around wildly and just overwhelmed the IfKit. Anyway, please keep us posted as to your progress resolving this issue.

And.. how has your overall experience with the Vegetronix sensors been? I have been thinking of doing something like that myself.

Posted on
Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:37 pm
UrbanFarmer offline

I am very new to this. Just received my first Phidgets today. A 1014 4 relay and and SBC3.

Regarding the 1014. I have it plugged into the USB port on the front of my Mac Pro tower and controllable in the System Preferences under Bonjour by double clicking, which brings up a small window where I can click on the 4 outputs causing the relays to click.

Indigo is another matter. I've added the device via the Phidgets interface plugin and selected Phidgets Interface Kit. Clicked "Edit Device Settings" and located the 1014 in the list, entered the serial number and selected "local USB". Clicked on "Read IfKit Config" and it says "4 outputs found: no Configuration required". So, all is good, right? So I click save.

Enabled communication and closed "Edit Device 1014-1" (which I've named it) window.

Next I set up a schedule which I've named valve-1. Then I click on "Actions" and when I select a Type I am presented with several options under Device Actions / Phidget Controls. I select "Control a Phidget Digital Output on a Stand alone Phidget (Phidget Controls)". The other viable option is "Control a Interface Kit Digital Output device (Phidgets Control)"

The first option has grayed out "Select Phidget"

The second option when clicking "Edit Action Settings" has grayed out "Select Phidget" as well.

I select the first option, Output Number "0" and Action "Turn On" and save and OK to exit. Still, have not selected a Phidget.

Under Schedules I click "Execute Actions and get the following in the log:

Jul 28, 2015, 9:28:45 PM
Schedule Valve 1
Phidgets Plugin Error Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 654, in phidgetOutputControl
<type 'exceptions.ValueError'>: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''

Please help.

Oliver

Posted on
Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:55 pm
UrbanFarmer offline

I went back right after posting the above and selected "Interface Digital Output" on "Model" in "Edit Device". So it now is working from Indigo. I guess just writing down everything I did helped in some way to do make the correct selections. Next, the SBC3.

Posted on
Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:08 am
berkinet offline

UrbanFarmer wrote:
...Indigo is another matter. I've added the device via the Phidgets interface plugin and selected Phidgets Interface Kit. Clicked "Edit Device Settings" and located the 1014 in the list, entered the serial number and selected "local USB". Clicked on "Read IfKit Config" and it says "4 outputs found: no Configuration required". So, all is good, right? So I click save....

You can only have one USB connection to a Phidget at a time. Since you have the Phidgets "web service" connected to the 1014 (that lets you see it in the Bonjour pane) you cannot also connect to it from Indigo. You should change the Indigo configuration to use IP and use an IP Address of 127.0.0.1 (localhost) and the port 5001 (unless you have changed it). That way, you can view the Phidget in both the reference and and Indigo.

I see you resolved the other issue... Great!

Posted on
Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:24 am
UrbanFarmer offline

Well, I don't understand what you just said. I do apparently have web service but don't know how to get rid of it if I wanted to (just now figured that out, had to open the lock)). I am still able to indigo the module so by making the changes I mentioned above.

I just now stopped web service and 1014 stills appears along with SBC3 in Bonjour.

Also why doesn't SBC3 appear in your device list, only goes to SBC2, which I selected?

Plugged 1014 into SBC3 but lots of selections are now grayed out so having trouble talking to it from indigo.

Still able to communicate with 1014 from Bonjour panel, even with Web Service turned off.

Trying to understand all this.

Oliver

Posted on
Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:34 am
berkinet offline

UrbanFarmer wrote:
Well, I don't understand what you just said. I do apparently have web service but don't know how to get rid of it if I wanted to (just now figured that out, had to open the lock)). I am still able to indigo the module so by making the changes I mentioned above.

I just now stopped web service and 1014 stills appears along with SBC3 in Bonjour.

Also why doesn't SBC3 appear in your device list, only goes to SBC2, which I selected?

Plugged 1014 into SBC3 but lots of selections are now grayed out so having trouble talking to it from indigo.

Still able to communicate with 1014 from Bonjour panel, even with Web Service turned off....

To get the best results from the 1014:
1) Turn on the Phidgets web service on port 5001 (the default)
2) In the Indigo device configuration for the 1014 InterfaceKit for IP (Webservice) or USB, select IP Network
3) For the IP Address use 127.0.0.1
4) For the port use 5001

For the SBC3 you can use the SBC2 or 1018 device type nselection, they are identical. Then, like the 1014, select IP Network and enter the IP Address of the SBC.

Finally, you can also connect the 1014 to the SBC. In that case, just enter the IP Address of the SPB in place of the localhost address (127.0.0.1) of your Mac.

Posted on
Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:53 am
UrbanFarmer offline

Plugged the 1014 back into the Mac-Pro and followed the above. . Web service is on and I have selected IP Network. Everything appears as expected for device setup.

But, when I try an set a timer I cannot find the device I just set up. Using plug-in v0.6.5. Is that the latest? Looks like I'm right back where I started from in my first post, except using IP 127.0.0.1 now.

Here is the log when I click Execute Actions Now:

Jul 29, 2015, 1:11:34 AM
Schedule Valve 1 On
Phidgets Plugin Error Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 654, in phidgetOutputControl
<type 'exceptions.ValueError'>: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''

–––
Please help
Last edited by UrbanFarmer on Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:52 am
berkinet offline

UrbanFarmer wrote:
Plugged the 1014 back into the Mac-Pro and followed the above. . Web service is on and I have selected IP Network. Everything appears as expected for device setup.

But, when I try an set a timer I cannot find the device I just set up. Using plug-in v0.6.5. Is that the latest? Looks like I'm right back where I started from in my first post, except using IP 127.0.0.1 now...

An InterfaceKit itself has no direct functionality. So, once you have the 1014 InterfaceKit device defined in Indigo, you need to create separate devices for each of it's 4 outputs (relays). These should be defined as InterfaceKit Digital Output devices. In the device configuration you will need to select the InterfaceKit the output is part of, and the output number: 0 to 4.

Once you have done that, you can simply turn the output devices on and off like any other switch type device in Indigo, including control by timers.

Page 23 of 39 1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 39