Phidgets Plugin Discussion

Posted on
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:53 am
hamw offline

Re: Phidgets Plugin Discussion

I’ll take a look, but it is a new machine with a clean install of the operating system and each application newly installed individually. No other issues as far as I can tell.

Posted on
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:26 am
berkinet offline

hamw wrote:
I’ll take a look, but it is a new machine with a clean install of the operating system and each application newly installed individually. No other issues as far as I can tell.

I suspect the Launch Daemon never got installed, or wasn't enabled. Check to see you have /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.phidgets.webservice21.plist

Posted on
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:01 pm
hamw offline

Yes, thanks for the suggestion. Here's the contents of the plist:

Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>Label</key>
   <string>com.phidgets.webservice21</string>
   <key>ProgramArguments</key>
   <array>
      <string>/usr/local/bin/phidgetwebservice21</string>
      <string>-p</string>
      <string>5001</string>
   </array>
   <key>RunAtLoad</key>
   <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

The phidgets22 plist was also still in there, so I deleted it. Maybe that will make a difference.

Posted on
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:53 am
berkinet offline

hamw wrote:
Yes, thanks for the suggestion. Here's the contents of the plist:
... ...The phidgets22 plist was also still in there, so I deleted it. Maybe that will make a difference.

If the plist is there, it should start. Are you are sure you checked Start Automatically in the Phidgets Web Service preference pane? Assuming you have checked the auto-start option, try these steps...

Enter the following command in a terminal window:
launchctl list |grep phidget
If that returned something, post it here. If it returned nothing, try this next:
launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.phidgets.webservice21.plist
and then try the first command again. If it succeeds this time then issue this command
launchctl start com.phidgets.webservice21
and see if the web service has started. If it didn't start, enter this command and post any results back here:
 grep phidget /var/log/system.log

Posted on
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:36 pm
hamw offline

Thanks, Berkinet. I turned off the WebService, and the commands would not launch it. Here's the results of your suggestions.

[Restored Feb 14, 2020 at 7:21:20 PM]
Last login: Fri Feb 14 19:21:17 on console
Restored session: Fri Feb 14 19:20:33 EST 2020
Hamiltons-Mac-mini:~ hamilton$ launchctl list |grep phidget

Hamiltons-Mac-mini:~ hamilton$ launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.phidgets.webservice21.plist

-   1   com.phidgets.webservice21
-   1   com.phidgets.webservice21
Hamiltons-Mac-mini:~ hamilton$ launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.phidgets.webservice21.plist
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.phidgets.webservice21.plist: service already loaded

Hamiltons-Mac-mini:~ hamilton$  grep phidget /var/log/system.log

Feb 18 22:32:05 Hamiltons-Mac-mini com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.phidgets.webservice21[74685]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1

Hamiltons-Mac-mini:~ hamilton$

Appreciate your thoughts.

Posted on
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:15 am
berkinet offline

hamw wrote:
... launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.phidgets.webservice21.plist

... launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.phidgets.webservice21.plist

...grep phidget /var/log/system.log
...(com.phidgets.webservice21[74685]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1
[/code]
Well, based on the last line, we can see the service did not start. However, you executed the launchctl load command twice. The second command should have been launchctlstart
launchctl start com.phidgets.webservice21
Try just doing a load, then the start, and then the grep again.

Posted on
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:36 pm
hamw offline

Thanks; here's what it resulted.

Hamiltons-Mac-mini:~ hamiltonwilliams$ launchctl start com.phidgets.webservice21
Hamiltons-Mac-mini:~ hamiltonwilliams$ launchctl list |grep phidget
-   -11   com.phidgets.webservice21
Hamiltons-Mac-mini:~ hamiltonwilliams$ launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.phidgets.webservice21.plist
Hamiltons-Mac-mini:~ hamiltonwilliams$ launchctl start com.phidgets.webservice21
Hamiltons-Mac-mini:~ hamiltonwilliams$ launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.phidgets.webservice21.plist
Hamiltons-Mac-mini:~ hamiltonwilliams$  grep phidget /var/log/system.log
Feb 19 21:27:49 Hamiltons-Mac-mini com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.phidgets.webservice21[37984]): Service exited due to SIGSEGV | sent by exc handler[37984]
Feb 19 21:30:35 Hamiltons-Mac-mini com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.phidgets.webservice21[38131]): Service exited due to SIGSEGV | sent by exc handler[38131]
Feb 19 21:33:12 Hamiltons-Mac-mini com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.phidgets.webservice21[38331]): Service exited due to SIGSEGV | sent by exc handler[38331]
Feb 19 21:33:51 Hamiltons-Mac-mini com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.phidgets.webservice21[38340]): Service exited due to SIGSEGV | sent by exc handler[38340]
Hamiltons-Mac-mini:~ hamiltonwilliams$

Posted on
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:26 am
berkinet offline

hamw wrote:
... Service exited due to SIGSEGV | sent by exc handler[37984]
[/code]

Well, that is the error that is causing the auto loading of the phidgets web service to fail. Unfortunately, I have no idea what is causing it. Even odder is that it starts when you do it manually from the pref pane.

It is probably a permissions problem, so you might want to run the disk utility and run First-Aid on the disk. If that doesn't fix it, I'd contact Phidgets. But, one thing is clear, there is definitely something wrong on your installation.

Posted on
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:19 pm
landry offline

Hi Birkinet
I have a new Mac mini and I am am in the same boat as hamw. The latest Mac software for Phidgets is only 22 libraries and Brian Burley at Phidgets has suggested installing the 21 libraries from this site:
https://www.phidgets.com/downloads/phid ... s/Phidget/

I tried and can't get past the malware security and Brain has no suggestions how to remedy this. I think phidgets.com is abandoning the 21 libraries starting with the new Mac OS 10.11+ software. I'll keep working on him. My twos sbsc3's are less than three years old.

Any suggestions how to install past the Mac security?

Posted on
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:39 pm
landry offline

Birkinet

Never mind I finally got phidgets 21 installed ad its up and running!! Dont know how i got around malware warning I wish i could recorded what I did. i think I left security unlocked and open and rebooted mac and then I got the llibraies installed!! i was just persistent!

Posted on
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:51 am
berkinet offline

landry wrote:
Hi Birkinet
I have a 0ew Mac mini and I am am in the same boat as hamw. ... ...I tried and can't get past the malware security and Brain has no suggestions how to remedy this. I think phidgets.com is abandoning the 21 libraries .. ...
Any suggestions how to install past the Mac security?

I am glad you got this fixed. I really don't know what I could have added to help. I have the 21 libs running on MacOS 10.15.3 on a 2018 Mac Mini without issue. I suspect your problems had something to do with your firewall or security settings. But, without being able to duplicate the problem, that would just be a guess.

Phidgets have dropped support for the 21 libs, but they will continue to be available. In the meantime, if all goes well I may have a 22 plugin sometime in Spring.

Posted on
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:43 pm
hamw offline

Berkinet, great news on perhaps a new plugin. I will hold on adding anything to the system until we hear back.

Posted on
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:21 pm
mpleeds offline

I am currently using an Easydaq USB8VI4DIOSR (8 isolated inputs + 4 relays + 4 DIO channels) Digital I/O to perform 2 tasks:

1. Reading the analog gallon counters on my house and irrigation meters. These are hardwired to my office, so no ethernet or wifi is necessary.

2. Indigo controls Easydaq relays to turn well valve actuators on / off, also hardwired.

As the Easydaq card seem to be malfunctioning and may require replacement, I am entertaining the possibility of switching over to Phidgets. In addition, I am currently using a wireless BBQ thermometer to broadcast (using RFXCOM RFXTRX433E) temperature changes from my sauna to regulate heater control, but would prefer a hardwired solution. Phidgets has a number of external K-type or RTD (highly accurate) probes which may be suitable for this purpose.

Not having time to read every post on this informative discussion thread, it would be great to know if these tasks could be accomplished via Phidgets and Plugin, as well as any other recommendations / incompatibility warnings.

Merrill

Posted on
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:30 am
mpleeds offline

I ended up purchasing the Phidgets 1019 interface kit and 1124 temp. sensor and got it working with WebService, but unable to connect via USB. With WebService configuration, I am unable to adjust "sensor data rate settings" which is critical to my application in reading sauna temp. changes. After going through the plugin discussion, I found the post which explains that Data Rate settings and only be "set to InterfaceKits connected to the local computer and being read directly over USB".

I have tried connecting 1019 through USB with no success, including:

1. Closing the Phidget control panel application.
2. Stopping WebService prior to attempting to connect via USB.
3. Trying all USB ports that are available in the "serial port" window.
4. Disabling and reloading the plugin after choosing each new serial port.

I have tried plugging the USB cable directly into my 2018 Mac Mini, as well as my powered USB hub with no success.

Any suggestions as to how to connect by USB so that I can control "sensor data rate settings"?
Will the "sensor data rate settings" limitation be the case if using a themocouple (or any other temp sensor) with 1048 or 1051 sensor while 888 is configured to WebService?
If ultimately able to get USB working, will I be able to use multiple Phidgets simultaneously, e.g. 3051 relay board, etc.?

Thanks,

Merrill

Posted on
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:06 am
berkinet offline

mpleeds wrote:
I ended up purchasing the Phidgets 1019 interface kit and 1124 temp. sensor and got it working with WebService, but unable to connect via USB. With WebService configuration, I am unable to adjust "sensor data rate settings" which is critical to my application in reading sauna temp. changes. After going through the plugin discussion, I found the post which explains that Data Rate settings...
The data rate of a Phidget InterfaceKit port (libs v2.1) is the interval in ms at which the analog port is read. When used via the Web-Service it is fixed at 16ms. Thus, each analog port will be read 62.5 times per second (1000/16). On each read, the value (0-1000) returned is compared to the trigger value and if the difference between the last reported value is greater than the change value it will be reported via the Web-Service. I do not recall offhand the exact specifications on the 1124 but I seem to recall it can measure between -30ºC and +80ºC, a range of 110º. Divide 110/1000 and you get each step (0-1000) is equivalent to 0.11º. Therefore, a change of 9 = around 1ºC.
So, if you set your trigger for 9, then the phidget will check 62.6 times per second for a change of 9 since the last report. Ie. it will check 62.5 times per second to see if the temperature has changed 1º since the last change report. If you want greater granularity, set the change trigger lower. 3 would be 0.33 degrees. However, be careful. The 1124 is not super stable and if you set the change trigger to low, it will thrash constantly.

Given your use in controlling a sauna (great application BTW, from a sauna lover) I would think there is no need to measure more often.

BTW, you should be able to read the phidget directly, but I really recommend against doing that. A direct read of the USB will block the phidget and you will not be able to see it via the control panel.