ad2usb plugin discussion

Posted on
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:46 pm
gt3mike offline

Re: ad2usb plugin discussion

I totally agree. The forums for some plugins are set up as you suggest. Oh well.

Posted on
Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:54 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

gt3mike wrote:
I totally agree. The forums for some plugins are set up as you suggest. Oh well.

Plugin developers can organize their forums however they wish. They can't directly create subforums but all they need to do is request one and we'll create it for them.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:41 pm
berkinet offline

gt3mike wrote:

This is what it is. I wrote this plugin because I needed it for myself. Since it appeared to meet some other people's needs. I shared it.

I earn nothing from this (and do not wish to). So, the effort it gets is = the effort I have available. At this point, especially given the low amount of traffic in this topic. I prefer to leave it as it is.

OTOH, If someone else thinks they can do a better job developing, maintaining and supporting a plugin for the AD2* products, I welcome you to do so. I would have no problem with competition, and if it were better than my efforts, I might use it myself.

Posted on
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:00 am
gt3mike offline

gt3mike wrote:

My comment above pertained to the structure of the community forum for the plugin (a single l-o-n-g thread rather than individual topic threads) and not the plugin itself. It is challenging to search for issues, which leads to redundant issues being reported, and handholding (frequently from berkinet) required for most new setups.

The ad2usb plugin itself, once set up, is one of the most reliable in my system. It pretty much always just works, which is a credit to the developer.

PS - I did offer quite awhile ago to help improve the setup complexity by trying to update the plugin doc. The problem with that was as soon as I dug into the doc I quickly realized that my knowledge and setup only scratches the surface of what the plugin can do, and I therefore wasn't qualified to do anything with the doc.

Posted on
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:10 am
berkinet offline

gt3mike wrote:
...My comment above pertained to the structure of the community forum for the plugin (a single l-o-n-g thread rather than individual topic threads)...

You were clear. Sorry if my response was not. Maintaining a more complex forum thread structure is not something I am currently interested in doing. In any case, I really don't know how I could break out sub-threads anyway... since most of the issues here deal with getting the plugin installed or suspected bugs.

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:13 pm
7rdr7 offline

Looking for some ideas. I've implemented variables to set door codes using the Z-wave Lock Manager plugin, and it works well by embedding variables (%%v:xxxx...x%%) in the command strings. I tried a similar set up with the ad2usb plugin so that when I change the lock code variable, it not only changes the codes in the door locks, but also changes the security codes on the Vista alarm system. The alarm system portion does not seem to work. I'm assuming that the ad2usb plugin does not support embedded variable references within a "Write to Panel" "text to send" string?

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:51 pm
berkinet offline

7rdr7 wrote:
Looking for some ideas. I've implemented variables to set door codes using the Z-wave Lock Manager plugin, and it works well by embedding variables (%%v:xxxx...x%%) in the command strings. I tried a similar set up with the ad2usb plugin so that when I change the lock code variable, it not only changes the codes in the door locks, but also changes the security codes on the Vista alarm system. The alarm system portion does not seem to work. I'm assuming that the ad2usb plugin does not support embedded variable references within a "Write to Panel" "text to send" string?

Variable substitution is not currently supported. I plan to do some work on this plug-in over the winter and I’ll put that on the list.

Posted on
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:11 am
7rdr7 offline

Thanks for the quick response and your consideration of a potential update to the plugin. Happy New Year!

Posted on
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:39 pm
mintzps offline

Control page error

I have and Ademco Vista 40
An AD2PI connected.
I am able to arm and disarm the system using the actions provided.
When I try to use the buttons on the control page I just get errors. The buttons are programed to write to the panel.
Here is a screen shot of the errors:

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 6.38.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 6.38.28 PM.png (57.5 KiB) Viewed 239 times

Any help?

Posted on
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:16 am
berkinet offline

Re: Control page error

mintzps wrote:
...When I try to use the buttons on the control page I just get errors. The buttons are programed to write to the panel.... ...Any help?

Are using the Control page that was included with the plugin? If so, that page has not been updated in a long time and likely will not work with the current version of Indigo. Unfortunately, I do not have access to my location with the Vista panel at the moment and it may be a while before I can look into this. You may try clicking: Server Actions: Edit Actions on the control page editor and see if you can see why it is not working.

Posted on
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:23 pm
mintzps offline

I am using the control page included with the package.
Here is a screen shot of the control page, editor actions, etc.
What is interesting is that, I can use actions to write to the panel a disarm sequence, but the write to panel within the control page gets me an error.

Screenshot 1.jpeg
Screenshot 1.jpeg (258.19 KiB) Viewed 210 times

Posted on
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:38 pm
hamw offline

Berniknet,

Sorry for what is likely very simple but frustrating for me. Somehow I can't get the AD2USB to talk to the alarm system via the ser2sock. Here's the applet:

do shell script ("/usr/local/bin/ser2sock -p15006 -s/dev/cu.usbserial-DJ009ezl -b115200 -d -c -w 5000")

Here's the response:

Reloading plugin "AD2USB Alarm Interface 1.6.0"
Stopping plugin "AD2USB Alarm Interface 1.6.0" (pid 10832)
AD2USB Alarm Interface panelMsgRead: Connection Closed:
AD2USB Alarm Interface runConcurrentThread Process completed, Restarting
Stopped plugin "AD2USB Alarm Interface 1.6.0"
Starting plugin "AD2USB Alarm Interface 1.6.0" (pid 11810)
AD2USB Alarm Interface Log level preferences are set to "Normal".
Started plugin "AD2USB Alarm Interface 1.6.0"
AD2USB Alarm Interface Plugin setup completed. Ready to open link to the ad2usb in Basic mode.
AD2USB Alarm Interface ad2usb opened for communication at socket://127.0.0.1:15006

But the alarm is unresponsive.

When directed to USB as below the plugin alarm control works ..... So the USB identifier is correct.

Sep 29, 2019, 12:28:56 AM
AD2USB Alarm Interface The configuration changes require a plugin reload. Reloading now...
Stopping plugin "AD2USB Alarm Interface 1.6.0" (pid 11810)
AD2USB Alarm Interface Plugin preferences have been updated
Starting plugin "AD2USB Alarm Interface 1.6.0" (pid 11818)
AD2USB Alarm Interface Plugin setup completed. Ready to open link to the ad2usb in Basic mode.
AD2USB Alarm Interface ad2usb opened for communication at /dev/cu.usbserial-DJ009EZL

Then when I try to reload using telnet, the AD2usb is unresponsive.
Sep 29, 2019, 12:29:38 AM
AD2USB Alarm Interface The configuration changes require a plugin reload. Reloading now...
Stopping plugin "AD2USB Alarm Interface 1.6.0" (pid 11818)
AD2USB Alarm Interface Plugin preferences have been updated
Starting plugin "AD2USB Alarm Interface 1.6.0" (pid 11828)
AD2USB Alarm Interface ad2usb opened for communication at socket://127.0.0.1:15006

Logs on via telnet:
Last login: Sat Sep 28 19:24:39 on ttys000
Mac-mini:~ hamiltonwilliams$ telnet localhost 15006
Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
Trying fe80::1...
telnet: connect to address fe80::1: Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
!Welcome to AD2USB

Thoughts?

Posted on
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:42 am
berkinet offline

hamw wrote:
...Thoughts?

Have you changed anything recently, like an OS upgrade?

Posted on
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:33 pm
hamw offline

No… Can’t quite remember what I changed but I think it must’ve been while I was trying to configure some motion detectors. Nothing I would’ve thought would have affected communication…

That said, because the AD2USB simply functions as another control pad I wouldn’t think that anything I did on the alarm side would make a difference. I did not change anything on the Indigo side.

What is surprising is that the unit functions fine on USB and appears to connect with ser2sock but does not send the commands or read the stream. I think I have the same problem that Paul Mintz had as documented previously in the thread…

https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7584&p=131080&hilit=Mintz+launchctl#p131080

Posted on
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:28 pm
mintzps offline

Did you see my post with the screenshot of the control page and the actions that are supposed to happen "write to panel" that is causing the errors?