APCUPSD Plugin discussion

Posted on
Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:26 pm
berkinet offline

Re: APCUPSD Plugin discussion

It looks like you created the UPS device before configuring the plugin. Try editing or recreating the device and then restart the plugin.

Posted on
Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:04 pm
vasisht offline

Sorry what do you mean "created the device"?

All I did was set up apcupsd & then installed the plugin & hit configure then enable. Was there another step or something that I should've done first?

Posted on
Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:40 am
berkinet offline

You must create an indigo device that represents your UPS. Select new device and then apcupsd plugin for the type. I am away from home and on a tiny keyboard do I cannot give you more precise instructions at the moment.

Posted on
Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:38 am
vasisht offline

Yup - creating the device was all that I had to do. Thanks!

Posted on
Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:49 pm
lochnesz offline

Re: APCUPSD (UPS daemon) Plugin

Is this plugin still under development? Thanks!

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:38 pm
berkinet offline

lochnesz wrote:
Is this plugin still under development? Thanks!

I am still maintaining it. However, since it meets my needs, and nobody has requested any changes or features, it is sort of just there.

Posted on
Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:35 am
lochnesz offline

Great! Thanks!

Posted on
Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:04 am
durosity offline

Also just for reference it does work exceptionally well.. I don't think it's thrown a wobbler once

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:29 pm
DU Lou offline

philc wrote:
Don't have time to go into a lot of detail right now - but installing APCUPSD on the Mac is a little bit of voodoo. As Berkinet points out, the website is extremely technical and very unhelpful for non-programming types. Short version is download the dmg and install. Then you have to wrestle the config file, which is locked, so you have to unfornicate the permissions first, then make the changes, then save it. And it is in a hidden folder, so you have to find it.

Probably could have been implemented more easily, but for free software that allows so much flexibility, I can't complain too loudly.

Try the install, then write back with any problems you have.

Phil

So I am going to attempt to wrestle this APCUPSD install and config again. I never did get Berkinet's plugin to work because of this APCUPSD constraint... UGHHHH I wish I could just pay for a solution LOL. In any case, can anyone remind me how to :
1. "Unfornicate" the permissions to the config file so I can modify it and then
2. Help me locate it in the hidden folder
3. I have a simple usb setup so I imagine I can just copy Berkinet's example from above to?

I am not a coder or compiler so please be patient...

I have tried the install in the past, hit a stumbling block, and then had to restore from a time machine backup since the APCUSBD does something to hide the default UPS settings.

Thanks!
~Lou

Posted on
Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:53 am
autolog offline

I have only just got round to connecting my APC Smart UPS 1500 to my mac mini. :)

So I just wanted to say thanks for the plugin. :D

Posted on
Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:39 pm
Korey offline

Thanks for this Berkinet,

Installed it today to monitor my old APC UPS, (Just found the USB to RJ45 cable I had been missing since the move).. :roll:

Works great!

:D :D

--
Korey

Posted on
Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:00 am
haavarda offline

Hi,
I think I am a bit slow here... But I have been trying to set up some triggers with this plugin.
When I set up the trigger I can select to trigger if battery is below limit. But where do I set this limit?
Has this something to do with the daemon ?

Håvard

Håvard

Posted on
Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:06 am
berkinet offline

haavarda wrote:
...When I set up the trigger I can select to trigger if battery is below limit. But where do I set this limit?
Has this something to do with the daemon ?...

The low battery limit is set in the apc daemon software config file. The plugin just receives the signal and fires the Indigo trigger.

Posted on
Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:10 am
haavarda offline

I found out that the config file is in a hidden folder. After I turned on hidden files and folders I found the config file.
Thanks for the reply, and the plugin.

Håvard

Håvard

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:09 am
DomoPat offline

Hello and thank you fo this great plugin, it is very powerful to be able to manage the system when power fails. I have a few questions though:

1- I could not get trigger based on events to work. I use triggers on the device change of state but it looks like events would be faster and easier. I saw your post about changing "#!/bin/sh" but I could not find the events file you are mentioning...
2- I searched extensively all around internet on how to have the Mac restart after it has been shutdown by the UPS. Evidently it will not restart because it was turned off 'clean' so it looks like the only solution is to instruct the Mac to do a 'shutdown -hu' in the power down sequence. In the Acuspsd documentation it is not clear (for me !) where to include these instructions, and it could be related to my first point on where these scripts are located.

Thank you,

Patrick