Phidgets22 Plugin Discussion

Posted on
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:59 am
berkinet offline

Phidgets22 Plugin Discussion

Available very soon...

I hope to release a pre-beta version of a new Phidgets22 plugin within the next week. This new plugin will be in addition to the existing Phidgets plugin.

The initial devices supported will be at least the following:
  • VINT Hubs and interface kit I/O
    • Digital inputs
    • Digital outputs (duty cycle control on the VINT)
    • Voltage inputs
    • Voltage ratio inputs
      Most original analog and ratiometric Phidget devices will be supported in this first release.
  • Standalone Phidgets
    • 1054 Frequency Counter
    • 1048 4-input temperature sensor
If you have any high-priority stand-alone or VINT devices you would like to see supported please note them in a reply in this topic.

Posted on
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:40 am
berkinet offline

Re: Phidgets22 Plugin Discussion

Introduction to the Phidgets22 plugin

With the introduction of the Phidget22 libraries, there has been a major change in the way Phidget devices are logically organized on the network. Under the new paradigm, every unique sensor (input) or control (output) function is individually identified, accessed, and controlled. So, for example, a 1048 4-input temperature sensor previously appeared in Indigo as a single device with 5 temperature states (the onboard sensor, + 4 inputs). Now, with the Phidget22 libraries, this will appear as 5 unique devices. Each showing only the state of its associated sensor. Also, rather than defining a device like in InterfaceKit with multiple inputs and outputs, each individual input or output is directly visible. So, there is no need, or indeed option, to create an Indigo device for InterfaceKits, SBCs, etc.

The Phidgets22 plugin also supports VINT Phidget devices and hubs. Unlike the previous analog sensors which simply returned a voltage between 0 and 5v, and had no onboard inelegance, the VINT devices have the ability to identify themselves and be directly configured. All of this is supported in the Phidgets22 plugin.

See the phidgets web site for more information

Posted on
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:34 pm
loafbread offline

Wonderful!

Posted on
Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:56 pm
berkinet offline

At this point, the plugin is stable enough that I have completely removed the Phidget21 libs from all my servers and disabled the old plugin. So, the only thing holding me back from packaging up a release is hearing from someone that they would like to try it.

Right now the plugin supports the following
    All interfaceKit devices, like the 8/8/8, 0/16/16, 0/0/8, etc.
    All VINT Hubs
    All classic sensor devices (the ones that connect to an analog port).
    There is also support for VINT devices and standalone Phidgets that support the following APIs
      DigitalInput
      DigitalOutput
      FrequencyCounter
      Hub
      HumiditySensor
      TemperatureSensor
      VoltageInput
      VoltageRatioInput
Of course, I do not have all of the devices that use each API, so I can only guess they will work. This is, of course, why testers are needed. Also... a fair amount of Phidgets knowledge is required. That is, if you are brand new to Phidgets, don't try this plugin yet.

Posted on
Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:08 pm
landry offline

Congrats Berkinet

I will give it a try with the 4X thermocouple Phidget which is controlled by. VNT hub. It can connect up to four K, J, E or T type thermocouples to this Phidget to measure the temperature of the air or an object. You have opened a whole new dimension temperature measurement with Indigo!!

Quickie question have to disable old plug in to use new one ..correct? and this will work with SBC33 and SBC4 ?

Thanks for all this hard work ...I hope I have not pestered you too much.

Posted on
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:27 pm
berkinet offline

landry wrote:
…I will give it a try with the 4X thermocouple Phidget which is controlled by. VNT hub. It can connect up to four K, J, E or T type thermocouples to this Phidget to measure the temperature of the air or an object. [… …] Quickie question have to disable old plug in to use new one ..correct? and this will work with SBC33 and SBC4 ? .
I am using the plugin with a 1054, the older version of your thermometer Phidget, so I am confident it will work for you.

You can run both the older plug-in and the new Phidget22 plugin at the same time and you can also run both libraries at the same time on any Phidget network server. However, you may not be able to open the same Phidget at the same time through both libraries. As to the SBC. That is pretty much invisible under Phidget22. You just see the channels and ports that are attached to it. So, the answer to your question is yes.

PM me your email address and I will send you a copy. The code is stable, I have been running it for two weeks here, but it is still undergoing some internal changes.

Posted on
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:14 pm
SMUSEBY offline

I'd be very happy to be a beta tester. Let me know if I can help.

Posted on
Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:40 pm
hamw offline

I'd like to get a wireless 6- port VINT and some temperature and humidity sensors. Looks like the plugin is working well enough that I should give it a go?

regarding your having gotten rid of all your 21 libs, is that something that I should aim to do? I currently have controllers and sensors over two different 8/8/8 boards.

thanks for making this work!

Posted on
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:57 pm
gtreece offline

What is the magic word to get a copy of the new beta plugin? Please? Thank you? You're awesome?

I have an SBC4 sitting here on my desk just itching for action..

Posted on
Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:53 pm
landry offline

Hi Berkinet

Any news on Phidgets22 plugin release?

Posted on
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:36 am
berkinet offline

landry wrote:
Hi Berkinet

send me a PM

Posted on
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:19 pm
hamw offline

berkinet wrote:
landry wrote:
Hi Berkinet

send me a PM

Hi Richard,

Any progress?

Thanks,

Ham Williams

Posted on
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:12 pm
berkinet offline

hamw wrote:
berkinet wrote:
landry wrote:
Hi Berkinet

send me a PM

Hi Richard,

Any progress?

Thanks,

Ham Williams

Yes. Send me a PM

Posted on
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:22 am
berkinet offline

Note: The Phidgets22 plugin requires Indigo 2022.1 or later.

Posted on
Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:39 pm
landry offline

Hi Richard

just want to say phidgets22 with Indigo 20223.1 works with all my 888 & 2222 interfaces , sbc;'s and sensors.. Great plugin .!!!

Check out my Solar Hot water monitor control pages with any triggers to email me fr any problems as well as my
home grown weather station. My weather staton now has lightning detection with intensity and distance. Two phidgets interface analog inputs are wired to two analog digital to analog boards on an Arduino board with a lightning sensors. I call that my international project ; Arduino ( Italy), Phdigets ( Canada) and USA Indigo/MacOS. Learning Arduino's C was a little challenging

Thanks for your contribution!!

PS if you'd to support LCD devices I have plenty of projects on mind.

Highest Regards
Dave
Attachments
SHWScreenShot.png
SHWScreenShot.png (406.57 KiB) Viewed 3148 times
PWSScreenShot.png
PWSScreenShot.png (288.69 KiB) Viewed 3148 times